Single Troop Defenses

Speaking from experience, that is the 2s and usually the 1s too.

The one troop defense was basically a player hack to get around this problem.

1 Like

9.5k 1 trophy’s? i’m calling BS

Working as intended?

2 Likes

They are either really weak teams that can be taken out with my Bombot explore team or Famine.

There is a 8861 and 5875 just in Maxx’s pictures. I’m not saying all of them are, I’m saying they’re there.

Then what is the problem? with 1 troop defense you got easy teams that you could take out with your bombot explore team too. Only real difference is that they aren’t your 3 trophy option now.

1 Like

Not with my 3 trophies.

Exactly, Why do you think you are entitled to have easy 3 trophy fights?

3 Likes

I never said I was entitled to have easy 3 trophy fights all I want is some variety. My 3 trophies weren’t always easy anyway.

Effects 1. & 2. could have been resolved by adding a multiplier according to the number of defense troops at the start of the battle (0.25xnumber of troops). Rewards will have been divide by 4 and so on, not so much advantage to farm it.
Moreover, the players doing 4000 trophies in one week seems to be botters… is it really the solution to stop botting?

For Effect 3. I don’t see the issue. You made available 1-troop defense and so players find another way to enjoy your game even if it was not intended.
It seems the spirit of this game is something about strategy but from what I see, it’s all about how fast you can grind PVP (you’re giving rewards to the 100 best grinders each week).

12 Likes

I feel like this particular problem could have been solved by changing “kill” the ally to “transform”. Except for a few cheesy interactions which kind of have no business existing in the first place, it doesn’t need to actually kill the troop to function how most of us actually use her. Take that off the table, and most single troops take almost as long to clear as their similar-score counterparts, especially if those similar score counterparts is a low level full defense team that can be taken out by a single bombot cast. And per Sirrian’s post, it was the speed of the single troop battles (and less the mind-numbing nature) that was apparently the main issue - both causing complaints from players seeing other players accumulate wins quickly, players being able to accumulate wins quickly getting gold faster, and the quick free wins being a bad precedent to set.

Regardless, I would like to again reiterate to everyone complaining about being unable to avoid the meta with a single troop defense - just don’t level or trait the latest troop unless you need to to get a significant star level. Put four of those on defense. You now have a lower score defense than fully traited level 20 Elsepth (or on par, if you have a very high VIP level). Within a week or two, everyone currently using solo Elspeth for this reason (and now has a random full strength team take her place) will have migrated to that type of defense, and everyone in that score bracket will be using this defense (or be a lower level missing a bunch of skill bonuses and traits). After a few weeks, you’ll have plenty of garbage troops accumulated that can’t increase your kingdom stars even if you max them out and are completely worthless to use, so you can just keep some around at all times and continue to exploit this loophole ad-infinitum until it receives proper attention. Nothing significant has changed except the inability to farm solo-Elspeth, and possibly having to avoid scratching your completionist itch for a few days at a time.

1 Like

Still there is single troop defenses faced a few of them. but not elsbeth.

Exactly this. Guild wars is strategy, optimizing results from limited resources. PvP is pure time investment. No quality of play can make up for it.

3 Likes

try to keep one untraited common troop at lowest level x 4,
not the best solution bu might be similiar to 1 traited troop stats?

i wonder will underdeveloping kingdoms become more popular due to this hotfix :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know the minimum payout is 800 something which I often get and the payout for fighting a team of similar rating is ~1000 gold.
But the problem is, that there are no teams with a teamrating much higher than mine so the maximum payout is ~1200. But if I had a lower team rating (as in I were not yet in endgame) the payouts were up to 2000. The same happened to the PvP ratings I gained. As a ~7000 team fighting a 9500 team you get 50-60 rating, but fighting a team of similar rating yields 30 something (as t3 option always).
Again the problem is, once you reach endgame there are no stronger teams to fight (except for maybe 500 rating more, luckily for me, but unluckily for those with even 500 more rating than I have, they have absolutely no stronger teams to fight).

1 Like

In general, the team in my 1T slot is the same as the team in my 3T slot. Either some combination of Famine or Kerberos.

You can’t just say “do the 3T fight” when that isn’t the experience a lot of us have. In fact, your experience (that you’re getting a variety of opponents) is the statistical outlier right now, based on the limited data we have.

2 Likes

Console doesn’t look at your defense team when matchmaking, so we don’t have that issue.

1 Like

@Sirrian,

You still didn’t address the real problem. All of that text and not one mention of the fact that the overwhelming majority of people in this thread said they WEREN’T doing this for a money grab, they were doing it to break the monotony of a troop balance issue you apparently seem unwilling to address.

Let me be blunt - the “nerf” to Famine was a joke. It hasn’t changed a thing and it certainly hasn’t changed the frequency of his use in PVP defense.

You want to call 1-troop defenses a game health issue but you won’t acknowledge the actual game health issue. Once a player gets to a certain level the game comes to a grinding halt. The only cards left to collect are impossible to acquire, PVP becomes monotonous and boring, and with every level the rewards decrease just a little bit more.

Honestly, I’m a little bit insulted about the “economic health” comment. I gave @Saltypatra some fairly significant feedback about the Path 2 packs and the potential to generate nearly $10K in new revenue simply by making a small change to those packs. I haven’t gotten any feedback at all.

I’m really thinking I’m over GoW. The continued reduction of player agency and unexplainable decision making is really just becoming more than I care to deal with.

24 Likes

So according to @Nimhain, the reason for this change was that they were receiving a high volume of complaints about people exploiting the PVP leaderboards.

My question is this:

Why do we care? We already know the PVP leaderboards have no real integrity. We know 100% for a fact that at least some of the people at the top are account sharing. The general argument is that there is no solution so it has to be allowed. The problem is that it doesn’t remove the EFFECT - the effect that it has on the leaderboards being an actual fair and open competition.

With this baseline in mind, how in the world could this change make any difference at all?

I think there’s a real perception crisis here. Everybody is wanting GoW to be this kind of eSports competitive matchmaking game and the underlying code that runs it simply doesn’t produce that kind of result. PVP has always been exploited and now GW rankings are showing the same mystifying trends.

The PVP rankings are not accurate and never have been. It’s a competitive facade slapped on an otherwise single-player accumulation grind.

11 Likes

It’s unclear how much this change affects the variety gained in PvP. So far today, I haven’t seen it get notably worse, and still have my single lv15 unascended Aurai on defence. Unclear which of these cases applies:

Case 1: the 1TD is rerolled into four troops when it appears as a draw for another player - in this case, it’s still posting the low team score into the matchmaking math and the use of it to get more variety and less metacrap is unaffected - so this change doesn’t bother me much. I didn’t set 1TD so I could get speed wins beating 1TDs.

Case 2: the 1TD is rerolled into four troops when you set it and save it to the server - in this case, yeah we are gonna be rolling high level metacrap as if we’d set a full strength defence. If this happens, I will be really annoyed.

So far, hard to tell, but seems we are in Case 1… let me see how this week goes…

3 Likes