Single Troop Defenses

They tend to like to do nothing but for something not really important these days.

Between Guild Wars single opponent ‘choice’ and now this change, the enjoyment of GoW is being removed. I certainly have no incentive to put any more cash into this game, and I begin to doubt if I will continue to play.

The game has gone from relaxing to frustrating and stressful, and is no longer something I look forward to, but is becoming a chore to be endured.

10 Likes

Boo, rubbish!! Come on Devs, what are you doing? Elsbeth was a bit of fun! With all the complaints and requests around at the moment and you waste time finding a workaround for something that isn’t a problem??? Doesn’t make sense to me, you all in a bad mood or something? Boo, hiss!!

1 Like

@Sirrian You totally broke the game with this hot fix… Teams with higher scores are now showing up with way lower team scores. I’m assuming that the score shown is the score of the actual defense team.

For example:
All 4 cards fully traited and max level: Legendary dragon soul, mythic bishop, legendary giant spider, mythic pharos-ra shows up with team score 4773.

That’s impossible…

So you’re hot fix now hurts everyone playing… Imagine a low level player attacking this low score team…

7 Likes

The real reason behind removing the 1-troop defense is that it cost them resources. Someone started a thread a week ago, where he mentioned that the rewards where far more than battling against 4 troops. As soon as they noticed that post, they took actions, because giving out more resources does hurt their pockets, which i doubt, but in their eyes it is probably true. All the talk about “Spirit of the game” is just there to make us believe otherwise.

11 Likes

I don’t have anything new to add, the above 100+ comments have pretty well covered it, but I’m going to add my voice to the crowd saying this is a bad solution to a long-standing problem, and treating symptoms instead of the disease.

As an aside, I feel like the Devs have been burning though a pretty big supply of good will lately. Lack of information, lack of communication, and questionable decisions reinforced by the first two. The lead up to Guild Wars felt like a really healthy relationship. People where disappointed it got pushed but we understood why. Plans where discussed, some very good changes where made based on feedback but the devs also didn’t just do what the vocal minority asked for. They’re ultimately the ones in charge and have access to more information than we do. But since the GW launch and particularly Nimhain stepped away from the forums things seem to have gone badly down hill.

4 Likes

This sounds like a far more likely explanation than the one posted by @Sirrian

Disallowing the 1-troop defense is a horrible decision!
Considering the fact that most people (there will always be exceptions like the one @Royalty highlighted) set the 1-troop defense to avoid the monotonous high level PVP opponents that set maybe 3 or 4 different defenses. Setting a 1-troop defense gave a large variety in opponents that actually re-vitalizes the players interest in the game (which is why I also set a one troop defense in February and March).

So essentially all this “solution” does is treat the symptoms (1-troop defense) of the problem (high level PVP is monotonous and boring as hell)!

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is going to increase the rate of longtime high level players burning out of the game. This “solution” might (in the long run) actually cost them players (and revenue?)…

5 Likes

@Sirrian this is like putting on a dirty bandaide on a child with a cold. Absolutly pointless. Your limiting our team builds. Plus the problem wasnt 1TD it was that the code still bugged, so lets not fix the code but just restrict the players. Some of us can win with 1 or 2 troops. Ita called lureing people into a trap.

2 Likes

Im calling SHENANIGANS !

As an end game olayer, ive been focusing on kingdom stars. Which means all my troops are max level for their rarity and as many traits as i can get them. This means for me even a 1 troop defense (which i dont use) my defense score is over 9k. I often see meta meta meta. I hate death knight because you may not even have time to cast cleanse or it may die right before a stun or right after a stun clears.

I try to use smaller points that also help others with the events because it adds to what teams i get to play. I mean im really really getting tired of kb, knight, forest beast guy that barriers, another kb.

4 Likes

I recently started using and fighting single defenses too. And it was fun.

As many before pointed out, it is less boring, less exhausting fighting the same old famine/kerberos/khorvash/whatever is op atm teams. And at the same time it also is more rewarding.

The main problem for me are the rewards. How can a battle that is so exhausting give so little rewards?

PvP is only about farming. Please find a way to make that either more fun or more rewarding.
Many players found a way to make it so for themselves and now it’s taken away.

Another problem is, that once you reach the endgame, ~8k team rating, your rewards get less! You get less gold and less rating for fighting even though your winchance and time per battle doesn’t actually improve much (if kerberos devours twice with two casts you typically lose, if he devours once there may be a ~50% winchance, this doesn’t change much when my troops gain 2 attack and 1 magic).

Maybe devs could put out “strong” defense teams with a ~12k rating that we could choose to fight and get greater rewards.

2 Likes

So just a quick note about the perennial question: "Why fix issue A before issue B?"

TL;DR: Not everyone on the team can fix every problem! Sometimes we have spare resources and make a minor fix before we have the resources required for a major fix!

For anyone who like an essay read on:

We have a BIG priority list of things to do & fix here. In a perfect world, we’d be able to work through that priority list starting with the most impactful issues, and working our way down to the least impactful issues. But remember:

1. Everybody has their own perspective on what that priority list is, based on their own experiences. So no 2 players or even devs are going to necessarily agree on priority anyway!

2. Usually the biggest, nastiest issues require key people to solve them. Because those people are so busy, sometimes other team-members are solving smaller issues while the bigger ones are stuck in the queue waiting for attention from the correct people.

To be more specific, in this case,though, why fix single troops defenses before fixing armor issues/guild issues/other stuff? The answer is straight from point 2 above…

We fixed the single troop defense because it was a very simple fix that I could make/test over the weekend - pretty much everything else listed above is a complex fix that requires our tech lead + QA/Production teams to work on.

That aside, as I mentioned, let me speak to why this came onto our radar and seemed to be worth the time to fix…

We noticed a marked increase in single troop usage last week, and that was having three effects (in no particular order):

1. Players were able to farm single troop defenses (not in what I would call the spirit of the game) to climb the rankings extremely fast. This generates a lot of work for our support team as they receive complaints from other players… now 100 support tickets = 5-8 hours of work, and if I can save my support team all those hours of work with 30 minutes of MY OWN time… that’s something I should do.

2. Fast single-troop games flood the game economy with a lot more gold, which is converted to in-game goods. Obviously that can have a negative impact on the economy, and we need to protect against that, because creating an economy is one of the key things that allows us to keep the lights on and the servers running!
    So we need to take potential threats to the economic health of the game very seriously.

3. As I mentioned, the usage of single-troop defenses was growing rapidly. Despite the fact that I KNOW some people were enjoying easy wins, and having fun trying to kill Elspeth before she cast (I KNOW - I tried that too!), there is a whole Game Health issue here where the game is being played in a degenerate form.
    That’s not something we want, because I think the longevity of the game takes a hit… Gems has been steadily growing for almost 3 years as a game you play in a certain way - ruining that for a quick gold-grab with faster games is not a path we’re willing to risk going down.

20 Likes

Its not quite this. The gold formula does not handle high score values well, resulting in your minimum and maximum payouts being within a factor of two and any actual changes in payout spread over an extremely small score range. For example, teams with a score in the low 7000s and under result in my minimum payout, 863 gold. All the way up into the low 9000s I still have a payout of sub 1000 gold that 2000 score point difference could account for dozens of skill bonuses or full traits, represent a battle three times as long, but the payout is within 15%. Only completely maxed scores on level 1000+ players (in the high 9600s, low 9700s range) result in base payouts of about 1400.

This is also partially the fault of five star kingdom skill bonuses not contributing anything to score, as you can see wildly varying stats (and traits) within a given score range (even without the current apparent glitch where it is using the score of the single troop team while serving up a full team).

Particularly given my comments on dev communication I very much appreciate this answer. I still don’t agree since most of this was pretty in line with my speculations of the dev side so it’s not exactly new, but it’s actual knowledge now instead of guesses.

In short, thank you.

Taking the enchanted trait away from Elspeth would have already removed the really fast fights.

Now the hotfix broke team scores, and low level players are going to get hit really hard.

But I guess it worked, as you make way slower gold now, because you have to click every card in the enemy team to make sure they are actually low :slight_smile:

You bite your tongue. Don’t you dare suggest that they take away Empowered from Elspeth!

2 Likes

With the 1 troop defense the battles had more variety. I use to use a 1 troop defense often to get away from the constant Famine, devour, death mark and op event buffed teams now I have to fight them and I am getting really bored.

This is going to hurt longevity of the game more. If I have to fight this crap almost every battle I will get bored real fast and quit the game. @Sirrian are you going to try and do anything about this?

12 Likes

This crap is everywhere in PvP

10 Likes

Yep I’m seeing Krystenax is over represented.

Call forth the nerf cannon!!!

:thinking:

3 Likes

I could pull up my 3 trophy options too and find some of the same stuff. How about looking at your 1-2 trophy options.

:wink: