Single Troop Defenses

flood the game economy? but this isn’t the only instance of it, you have done so against end game players too.
When you first start playing you can make 3k gold or more per pvp fight, and near end game more 1k gold fights appear and you never make over 2k gold (even with vip, armour bonus etc)
So what you effectively did in this case was punish players for reaching end game…
I went from daily player and weekly spending to casual player because of this, and i’m just one of many players in the same boat.
What is the point of VIP selling a bonus of more gold % increase, when you decrease the gold as the per pvp as the player levels?
You are counteracting what you are selling people, and justifying it with protecting the game economy…
Poor show

9 Likes

Once again, i understand the need for the fix, because the “consequence” of the 1TD was not good for the game.

Here is a storyline:

A. Players are tired of facing the same 3 teams at higher rank.
B. So players put a lower rank defence , like 1TD, to get better choices of fights.
C. The A phenomenon is getting worst , so the B solution gets more and more popular.
D. The B solution becomes so popular, that 1TD starts showing up as an option for PvP almost every time.
E. People start grinding 1TD for quick $$, Trophies, and Glory.
F. Players realize that doing E is actually the best time-benefit ratio for grind-play watching TV. Even better if the Troop just removes herself on the first turn.
G. Princess Netflix is now a problem.

So, yes, i understand the need to ban B, so that D never happens. But, (A) needs to be addressed. And that is what we wanna hear. We can’t do B? Fine! Then give me a way to avoid A.
Please.

My daughter stated playing recently, and was having a lot of fun. She built herself a great Knight Team. But, if she puts it on defence, all she is offered are Mab-Loops, Famine and Kerberos. So she placed a weaker team of lvl 1 troops, and she is having fun again. But let’s face it, this is all counter-intuitive, right?

42 Likes

Brilliant post. Excellent summary.

2 Likes

THIS is why I was doing one troop defends. I avoided Elspeth and always set my single troop to be the troop that gives snotgems to be considerate for other players.

The reason I loved 1 troop defends was simply because high level PVP is about fighting the same team over and over again and with the RNG being the occasional dick that it is, it means I have to retreat from a lot of battles where I get instantly devoured or DM-killed.

PVP is a grind and it’s retarded of the devs to think that we will just sit here and love them when we only fight Famine/Psion/Death/DK/Kerberos/FG mixtures every single time.

3 Likes

Dear casual players of this casual game:

We do not want you to have an option to play casually.

Dear VIP players who have only troops level 5, 10, or 15:

This goes double for you.

10 Likes

Devs: we want people to spend money on GW and other aspects of our game.
Also the devs: spending money negatively affects your casual gaming experience, and puts you at a literal disadvantage.

2 Likes

I wont lie, our guild got 4 legendary tasks thanks to this strategy, we barely get 1 playing normally, but the sad part is that actually most of the ppl where having fun doing so. Some players like myself actually have more fun in a game farming ( Im a hardcore Final Fantasy player ) so for me it was not boring at all AND we where getting a lot of resources for the guild.
It`s funny to hear the devs to say that they did the fix “for the sake of the game”
I really hate when ppl lie to me, just say that you did the fix because your pockets asked for it and be honest to the ppl that puts food on your table.

3 Likes

@htismaqe while it’s true what you said about [quote=“htismaqe, post:382, topic:24808”]
Plenty of things out there much more harmful to the game but they don’t even acknowledge it’s happening let alone try to fix it.
[/quote]

It is also important to keep other aspects in mind.

1st of all, developers often have to consider aspects of contribution.
… If they had an easy “fix” for the issue that is less severe, they might decide to go for it if before big problems, just because it doesn’t cost them days of coding (I’ve been an advisor to a programming team, so I know some strategies).
2ndly, this has actually been a topic that some people brought up just a few days ago. Do you remember the guild wars alliances fiasco? Some people very accurately pointed toward PvP Elspeth example. Not many arguments have been said to that apart form “that’s different”, except it isn’t much.

You can’t really blame developers trying to address another possible “uproar” topic, when they saw another one of the exact same nature in a different environment blow up so hard.

What is unfortunate is that they addressed it in a wrong order. As it was mentioned, By “fixing” the issue, they also “fixed” one of the ways how to avoid the frustration of an obvious overpowered status of a single troop being literally in every single PvP match. And I’m looking at you, @Famine.

This fix is temporary (I hope! @Saltypatra!) while the dev team figures out a new way to discourage 1TDs but still give people a chance to avoid the meta defense of the week. At least, that is what I took away from Sirrian’s first post on the topic.

2 Likes

Uh no. This is clearly (again) of the developers being absolutely tone-deaf to their community.

1. the meta of the game is a wreck
  2. Guild Wars is a complete crapshow
  3. cheating is rampant in the PVP and GW ladders
  4. people are leaving because the game is just not fun
  5. the game is caught in a waking nightmare between casual and pay to win.

Solutions?

Devs - “We’ll fix Team Elspeth, that’s what kept us up at night.”

Farking really?

6 Likes

Agreed, if I drop out of a high guild and go to a much lower one I can go back to making 2000 gold a match without bonuses. I’m surprised no one has organized that. Imagine the butt load of resources and extra tasks an end game guild to do at lower levels. Not only would the competition be less but they could literally get triple the amount of gold for tasks.
Also we get all these bonuses to health and defense to make matches take longer, the bigger they are the harder it is to have a quick game. Some troops benefit (Gard) but not a tremendous amount. I have spent money in game and I would spend more, but not for things that will be useless to me like the gold and soul bonus due to the fact that the higher I get or being in a high end guild removes those bonuses I paid for.

3 Likes

Tell me again why you are not one of them…

7 Likes
7 Likes

Don’t discount the power of addiction. There are a lot of cigarette smokers who probably wish they could quit, but just can’t.

2 Likes

If his personal mindset were anywhere near as poisonous as the crap he spews out when he sits down in front of a keyboard, he’d be long gone.

2 Likes

Your daughter is a very smart girl. I would have done the exact same thing if I were her.
In fact, I am seriously considering doing the same. Only one problem, I don’t have any low level troops anymore. But on monday I’ll be getting the GW reward troop, so I can just set 4 of those at level 1 as my PVP defense. So that should give me varied PVP choices again.

Or, and I’m just asking the exploit police this in advance: Would that be “against the spirit of the game” again? :frowning: (can’t find the rolleyes smiley, sorry…)

Because let’s face facts: The Elspeth “fix” fixed a symptom, not the problem. I understand that fixing the problem is infinitely harder than fixing the real problem (boring, unvaried endgame meta), but still this “solution” is rather disappointing…

7 Likes

i think the fix is simple:

• dont scale pvp gold so poorly towards player account development, the gold offered should depend alone on the enemy team score, and not on the attacker level/teamscore

• dont roll pvp opponents according to attacker defense team but according to their attack team & allow ppl to delevel troops with small gem cost

if ppl get reward actually proportionate to the effort they may be happier with harder fights

• and to increase the pvp defense variety give +1 glory (or 1 gem) for each defense win if that defense had 1 copy (only one, musnt be more) of “todays featured troop”
    the “tosays featured troop” will be (for each player separately upon daily log in) pulled randomly from a “monthly featured troop pool” (monthly featured troop pool is decided by devs)

or any other idea how to incentivise (positively reward) defense variety really…

5 Likes

So a mid-game player shouldn’t get more rewards for defeating an endgame defense? [quote=“Annaerith, post:400, topic:24808”]
if ppl get reward actually proportionate to the effort they may be happier with harder fights
[/quote]

Seems to me that you are advocating decreasing the rewards that players of lower power will get for defeating vastly superior defenses in order to increase the rewards for even fights. Maybe the community needs to get the entitled mentality of “I used to get this conditional bonus therefore I should always get this bonus even (though I no longer meet the conditions)” out of their heads.

@Arturo you sir are an idiot

3 Likes

yes

getting stronger should be rewarded in form of having the taken fight easier for same rewards, not punished

5 Likes