Single Troop Defenses

The reason the single troop defense became popular is that one’s offensive battles are based on the strength of one’s defense, and so one fights easier teams if one’s defense has a low score. (I had not realized this until now.) I submit that this is the root of the problem, and makes little sense. Why not make the strength of the teams you fight depend on the strength of the teams you attack with? This need not require much work on the computer’s part. Store one number for each player. Then each PvP game multiply by some number N, (N somewhere around .95), and add to it (1-N) * current team score. This would track the a player’s attacking teams, and the defensive team would no longer affect what teams you see.

4 Likes

Or how about just tie it in to difficulty setting… you want easy ranked pvp battles, play on low difficulty, you want hard ones, play on a higher difficulty.

All the tools are there…

1 Like

Even if you have enough VIP levels for your troops to be at level 10/common, this would yield a lower score than single, fully traited Mythic level 20 Elspeth anyways.

2 Likes

Isn’t that what the pick of three opponents is supposed to be, though?

4 Likes

emphasis mine :wink:

3 Likes

If I understand lvl 1000+ players correctly, they only get crazy insane battles, for not much cash to.

I’m only lvl 700 something, so I can’t verify that, but why would they lie?
I do see my own battles becoming harder and harder (pvp and explore)…

2 Likes

Im still not happy about this at all… Call me a cheater or exploiter or whatever i dont give a dookie… Now pvp is totally screwed when i see a team of psion famine death famine all fully traited fully leveled and team score of 5390… Pays 847 gold… Yeah i may very well be done playing GoW for now and that sucks because i have 29 ppl in my guild that will be let down…

But as has been pointed out to me on a number of occasions i am an a**hole and my opinion matters to only a few anyway so idk why i even bothered typing this out

6 Likes

Sure, but if we’re going to ask for changes, it feels like changes to the existing selection would be better than adding a setting to adjust what selection you get.

1 Like

While it is true that things have taken some wrong turns (communication, balance, bugs…), so has the tone in the forums. If you read the whole 270 posts in this thread you could think that the world is ending. It’s a GAME, and it’s free to play. Play it or leave it.

1 Like

they probably overlook the possibility of the bug trigger 1-troop def score stick to 4-troop team if the change was done in unconventional way. as what happens if you modify your invade team during “to battle” screen in pvp.

Sirrian when he accidently visit this thread again today.

11 Likes

GW is only bugs and bugs and bugs nothing else!

3 Likes

It saddens me to see several end gamersbsaying they will stop playing over this… This feels like the devs put a bandaid on a bullet wound here…

I would gladly fight psion famine death famine all day every day if the rewards made it worth it… I mean c’mon 850 or even 1200 gold for that fight… That is what needed to be fixed and the 1td thing would fizzle out on its own

7 Likes

Heh im surprised @luther didnt give a like to the post where i said i may well quit GoW

1 Like

Hes such a good boy! :blush:

1 Like

I think that the dev has been very clear in his second post: the only problem with that was that they were not making money like they use too and all other reasons are just not really important.

The thing is that they don’t even understand that for the 1st time in GW history they actually obliged every one to do something. Not the way you want to start a day when you want customer’s money.

Good luck finding loyals paying customers with that king of attitude of obliging us to do something without a care of what we thinks.

From now on I won’t spend a cent in that game.

1 Like

Hey, since you started behaving better you aren’t that bad :wink:

Back on Topic, i was in a top 5 guild, and 90% of my battles were against Famine decks, with payouts of 800-900 gold. Not Joking.
The best payouts were for 1100-1200ish for the same decks but of maximized players.
Really really BOORING.

I am now in a much lower guild, with much lower lvl statues, and guess what? 90% of my battles give 1500-1600 gold. For fighting the same decks.

The problem here is that when you start playing you can see those awesome 1900-2000 gold battles, the more you go forward, the harder is to make gold each week.

For sure Single Troop defenses were a way not only to not see those maxed decks, and fight against a larger variety of decks, but to Break the monotony.

What is dumb is the whole system, as the stronger you become, the more frustrating becomes the game, generating a flux of leaving players, which sadly, don’t even write on the forum, @Vangor, and sadly, many many players have left over time for this very mechanic, which forces long time players to spend more time in game than new players, for the very same results.

11 Likes

Yeah, likes can be tough to communicate in this game. I can see how really frustrated you, and many others, are so I’ve thrown you a couple likes, because its good for the developers to understand the underlying issue.

It doesn’t seem like you hate one team defenses going away, but the extremely boring match making and rewards based on the static team scores.

There’s an old adage in golf. “Take a week off then quit!” I hope you’re not there yet, but I really understand how annoying PvP has become.

With GW defense teams being set from our normal defense teams, I can’t even leave a fun defense up. I have to figure out what my meta defense is for the next day, and set it, then once GWs starts, I can set individual defenses and put a variety defense back up for normal PvP.

2 Likes

Just ran into this and i complained about it and ragequit over it earlier cuz i didnt scout before i started… This time i did so here we go…

Notice the team score for the 1t fight vs the 3t fight? Well maybe the famine is the only good card and not traited… Lets see
Um… Ok lets check traits shall we?
Ok… Now im confused… Well that 3t fight must be out of the world crazy…

I absolutely love this game but i really dont understand this. I really wish i could figure it out because this kind of thing is the problem here not 1td…

I dont mind a challenge and in fact i love it which is why i have been so outspoken in defense of GW when ppl complained about the “coin flip” nature of it. I sided with the HW is good because it is SUPPOSED to be hard! That is what makes it awesome imho

My point is i would fight that 1t fight all day every day (or any variation of it) and all the meta cheese toast teams ppl can come up with but i feel the rewards should be equal to the challenge. Kind of a “let the punishment fit the crime” thing but in reverse.

But this👆 is not a fitting reward for this fight and even if it was the rewards for the 3t it wouldnt be worth the effort.

All im saying is if the rewards were equal to the effort i wouldnt use 1td anyway because it is wicked boring to fight elsbeth 1000000000 times a day i would rather have a challenge. Hell if i wanted easy i would play goddamn farmvile

Tl;dr if the rewards fit the effort involved than 1td wouldnt even be a thing

10 Likes

I got a theory on why late game is so less rewarding:

Guild Statue Masteries.

As statues reach their cap for stat bonuses, the only thing that you get more is mastery levels.
Masteries follow a curve with diminishing returns, but i got the sensation that the game values those hundreds of mastery levels (which are equivalent to like just +5% of real gain) much more than their real return.
This deflates the gold returns in late game, for something that isn’t really a thing.

So basically you have a deck with masteries on 200-300 fighting vs a deck with masteries on 100, even if the advantage is just a few % points of mana surge, the system values them like they were a lots of stat points.

On the other hand, a deck with the same stats of another deck, but from a lower mastery level point of view, would fight that deck with a really good payout , without having to fight something really different.

A possible solution would be raising the gold payout generally, and dramatically lower the mastery levels influence on the overall gold payout.

This way both the higher ranked guilds and lower ranked ones would see better payouts than we have currently, lessening the need to “game” the system by using exploit in defence decks.

2 Likes