Should I be hoarding keys?

Yea, I don’t hold out any hope of getting them. I’m just happy I only wanted them for the collection not because I thought I’d love playing with them. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Most of the Mythics are set up to have amazing synergy when duplicated.
So going for them outside of release week is fine, too.

Of course even if you get one, it probably won’t be the one you want. :slight_smile:
But if you can get 3 of any given one, it probably wouldn’t matter which one.

Yeah I hoard my gems, gem keys and glory keys.
40k, 600+ and 26k :slight_smile:

Hoard gems (until something releases you have an actual reasonable chance to get, for most people, they try mythics) and event keys (for new kingdom releases, filling out your collection, new legendaries). Everything else is pretty much fodder.

Glory keys and even gem keys have such a low drop rate on each specific troop above ultra-rare that you are highly likely to hoard for months and still not see a single copy of what you want. This also goes for new kingdom releases - even the two months intervening drops of glory and gem keys probably won’t get us much (if any) of the new kingdom epic or legendary. The reason some of us are saving these is because they have such low value that this is pretty much their only function - it is either the fraction of the percent chance of new stuff from the Kingdom or stuff needing ascensions still, or the fraction of a fraction (of a fraction) of a percent for the new mythic.

Gold Keys, once I got my first set of commons ascended to mythic and got out of the range of needing commons ascended to assist with kingdom stars (there was no point with Blackhawk, since Lil’ Johnny Bronze was bottlenecking anyway), I just pretty much stopped opening them because it is a chore. At the point the game is at now, you generally need about 5000 gold keys to make ascension progress once you have already ascended your commons to three times, to Epic. I’ve even stopped bothering on my low level account until I have a reasonable chance of reaching the next target. To ascend a common from a new kingdom all the way to mythic, you need an estimated approximately 20,000 gold keys saved. This is important when the kingdom only has 8 troops and therefore is the only way to get the five star stat bonus.

However, these 20,000 keys can also be opened pretty much any time after the event (unless a ton of commons are introduced, which slightly bumps up the number for each one) are much easier to obtain than the number of combined gem keys (thousands) or glory keys (tens of thousands) you would need to random get the drops you need ascend the epics/legendary after the kingdom event ends (which, in many cases, may not be before the next event rolls around, removing the necessity to ascend them to get kingdom stars in the first place).

You are therefore perfectly fine not hoarding gold keys, and are a good source of minor traitstones/glory if you need them, but if neither is in immediate short supply, your next ascension is over 5000 keys away, even that ascencion won’t help you with kingdom stars in any way, and there is a new kingdom coming up, I figure why not?

1 Like

I hoard gems, gem keys and glory keys in between mythic releases. But sometimes I will treat myself to a few 50 packs of glory chests. I got three mythics that way (Gard’s Avatar, Death and Draakulis, also got Wulfgarok from a glory chest in a mythic week). I save event keys for any kingdom that I don’t have the legendaries. Since I started the game in mid October I have already a pretty good collection. I am missing only 4 mythics, 3 regular legendaries and 4 imps.

I hoard all but gold and event keys. I only use the keys on the mythic release week till I get the mythic and then I hoard till the next mythic.
I’m missing only plague due to sheer bad luck at the time.
So in order to give myself a chance to get it, I buy 50 VIP keys whenever it will leave afterwards with more than 10k gems.

you can reserve event keys for the missing mythics except the apocalypse.

so if the ones you miss arent apo or you decide to skip apo id save for new mythics the glory/gem/vip keys and for the other missing mythics-event, that leaves you only to open gold chests at any time… a little tight but i think best method

other method is open any time untill you complete apocalypse then back to saving/event keys

Console here, been hoarding keys and gems since level 75 when they introduced mythics.

Level 600something now; 4 Death, 3 Plague, 2 War, 2 Drak, 1 Famine, 1 Aby. All during their exclusive periods, minus a couple of the extras. Almost entirely from glory and VIP keys.

I’m shifting towards a key hoarding posture. Was already doing it with guild and event keys. Is there any functional limit on the number of keys I can hold in any category?

I don’t believe there is, or it’s very high.

Some of us have over 300k gold keys, and over 20k gem keys.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much for now.

Necro’d a four year old topic, must be some kind of record.

2 Likes

I save up all my keys for new Mythic weeks (other than Event which I use on Event weeks). I open up all the gold first (I know you can’t get Mythics from gold keys, but I still somehow feel like it boosts my chances) then I open everything else in this order: Glory keys, convert glory to keys, Gem keys, Guild Keys. Whenever I happen to pull the new Mythic, I stop and save up whatever is left for the next time. Then, I repeat. I have gotten new Mythics quite a few time using only glory keys this way. I have also only ever missed out on one Mythic using this method, and I have been doing it since they started giving out a new Mythic every month.

1 Like

I don’t believe so.

I think there’s a point at which a player is ready to hoard keys and resources. Not really a bright line to point to, but after a handful of duplicate mythics are pulled from chests, it’s probably the right time. No sense in pulling more duplicates, while missing a bunch of new releases. Hoarding keys for the new mythics, while forging the ones you are missing is the best way to stop the bleeding and eventually complete your collection.

Even if you haven’t crossed the line where you benefit more from hoarding keys, there’s always the option to hoard keys, pull new mythic, and then a week later when the other mythics go back into chests, spend off your keys. I did that on my alt after getting really lucky with the Lord of Slaughter release, and pulled 5 mythics with my leftover keys…3 new and 2 duplicates.

Up to you though.

Is there any conceivable reason to bother hoarding gold keys? It seems these will never give new content and I should only be holding on to my glory, guild, event, and gem keys.

If you don’t mythic the new bounty troop during the event, having a stash of gold keys can help you get copies quickly when it’s released into the pool.

i’d say that line in somewhere between having 50 to 70% of all mythics,
starting from getting half of mythics you get a higher chance to roll a duplicate than to get a new one…
at 70% you have less than 1/3 chance to get new one instead of copy

also not using event keys for kingdom, where you have at least 1 mythic is also a good option…

but, as @UKresistance posted, this is a necro’d topic (long dead before), so we might as well let it R.I.P. especially that nothing new probably cant be added…

Thank you. I would not have considered the bounty troop. I guess I never paid attention the them popping up in gold chests. Of course, the last bounty run had a rerun troop… but perhaps this weekend. Will the bounty troop be in gold chests as soon as the event starts?

Personally, I would still horde the keys for when new Mythics are released and just hit the dungeon and craft the Mythics you need. That’s what I do at this stage in my game.

I come from the camp that it’s better to search for an existing discussion than to create a new one. The topic is pertinent to me at my stage of the game, so it seems reasonable to pop questions here rather than generate a brand new thread.