Server issues (October 10th 2016)?

My guild experienced that issue last week, but this time I didn’t even get that message. Think I may have missed gems from a blue task too now.

seems working fine now

I’m still having the connection problems.

“Error” “Your connection to the server has timed out. Please try again later”…

Still no good on ios. Took ages to log in then had about 8 retries starting a pvp match which I won but afterwards got 3 more retries then the dreaded blue notice of death. So that’s a loss then :slightly_frowning_face: Going to give up until tomorrow and hope they get it sorted by then.

This kinda issue makes me search for another more reliable game to play.

I’ve already been losing interest in this game when I’m constantly against the toughest cards in PvP and yet after using hundreds if not thousands of keys (yes that’s a ton for me) I still have yet to get 1 mythic troop.

This game will disappear because of the same people who created it.

You probably had an inverse server hiccup like me a while ago. It’s still bad.

People have been begging for a better server for ages. Lately, all I seem to hear is how well the numbers are and there’s certainly much more money pouring in with the 4 common troops for $20 (guild seals) purchases. So, can’t a tiny fraction of the mountains of coin piling in be put towards a RELIABLE server that can run both the game AND chat at the same time without breaking down daily? Or is this Hillary Clinton’s fault too, like everything else in the history of mankind?

I know they were/are working on a migration to a new server provider. They said there would be a period of posted downtime when that migration happens, so I think they are still on the original provider.

I bet they’d love to just snap their fingers and have the migration 100% complete, but it sounded like a pretty complex project.

I keep hoping, because I hate those retry issues.

1 Like

I see in the leaderboard that many was able to play over 100 invades so far, so it doesnt look for me that everyone is affected by the server problems.

I played neverwinter few months ago and there was servers problem in europe only for whole day caused by some provider in USA so maybe it is similiar situation but still…

I think those people might have played right when the week changed. I entered the game at that time to donate and faced no problems at all.

Can we stop complaining and let people in charge do their work? I mean, @Sirrian’s answer here at the forum means they’re on top of that and trying to fix it. If it’s true that Matthew is affecting the electrical grid on the servers’ area, as someone has said previously in this thread, then this isn’t connected to the usual (more than enough, I agree) server errors.

You don’t need to come and show your VIP and hyper-pro status on these moments, you just have to place your trust in the people in charge and wait for the fix. And if you’re not happy with it, don’t come here to threaten and menace the devs, it’s not the way to do it, imho.

tl:dr —> Leave the people in charge alone, so they can try and do their job. If they fail to comply with your demands, it’s easy, you go and do other things in your oh-so interesting lives.

3 Likes

I work in the tech industry and if my servers constantly had these issues, I’d be fired.

They would be asking me why I haven’t moved servers, or load balanced between a few servers, or even taken it to the cloud with a scaling ability.

Moving code cannot be that hard unless it was poorly written. What I mean by poorly written is without the idea of scaling in mind.

They should separate tasks between servers, have chat running on its own server, so it NEVER effects the game, you could split the servers into read db’s and write db’s, and have multiple front-ends that connect to the reading db’s.

Now I’m not sure how far this game has gone with scaling, but I did run games from 1999 to 2006 and supported upwards of 200k concurrent users. I do not think gems of war has that many concurrent users.

If the code was written with scaling in mind, moving would be as simple as running an “install” script, which installs all dependencies, organizes all data in the correct folders etc.

I just think if they cared about their “customers” they would have backup plans ready to go, instead of pushing out the next update which only is breaking the game even faster because the current servers are lacking.

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

…and thats about all its worth…

3 Likes

The chat and the game are running on different servers, that is why chat is working okay, while the game is laggy.

They did they their contract with their current server provider would end on december, and that they would move servers then (I think the current servers are being shut down), which means they can’t just move now, and lose 2 months of (most likely) already paid servers.

This is however what information I construed from forum posts, so I might be wrong.

1 Like

Same issues. I’m a GM and several have donated to tasks but aren’t credited. Not complaining. Telling them to hold tight don’t donate right now. Plenty of time the rest of the week.

1 Like

That makes sense, I’m just surprised that a company would worry about saving 1-2 months of $$$ and not care about reliability.

Why don’t they have a backup solution created in the cloud that they can turn on when issues like this happen.

The company I currently work for has 2 sets of servers located in different parts of the country, and if 1 data center is having issues, we simply switch over to the other servers. Now if both data centers are down, that could cause us issues, but that is very rare since its different providers in different parts of the country.

The only thing you have to do is replicate the code/database between locations. Now if our traffic ever exceeds 1 location, we turn on both locations until we can scale each location to adapt to the increased traffic.

I used to donate to this game, and have supported it in the past. When a game starts accepting money, it is now a business and its customers are expecting to be able to play that game whenever they want.

I have appreciated how fast the Dev’s responses are, and how active they are in the community, that is a great factor, however all the server issues not getting resolved, will chase away players. most likely paying players. Free players don’t care as much because they are not as invested. Nor do they have the right to complain as much as a paying player does.

Don’t come here to complain about lack of service, you mean? Because I don’t see much threatening or menacing going on, so we can burn that strawman right away.

Where should people go to vent their frustrations, then, so they don’t offend the developers’ oh-so-sensitive eyes? People are frustrated. Frustrated people complain. That’s a large part of what the forum is for, so developers can see what’s important to the player base. Surprise, surprise – the players want to play.

8 Likes