Server issues (October 10th 2016)?

Hi ogunther,

Part of the problem was that the issues started at 2:30am over here. That meant that only Steve was in the office at the time. Unfortunately Steve wasn’t able to resolve this issue himself and required the our programmers to look into it in the morning.

7 Likes

You people have no sense of proportion. Try playing Everquest. On one occasion all game servers were down for 30 days straight. That’s right, a full month. They get hit with malicious DDoS attacks left and right. Steam goes down every so often, not just one game but all of Steam in its entirety. If GoW’s servers were hosted by Steam (which they’re not), we’d see those outages affect this game as well.

Infinity+2 doesn’t host its own servers, they outsource it, and that leaves them and the game vulnerable if the server provider is not on top of things. So please please please stop blaming the devs, it’s not something they can personally control, at least not directly. I expect they’ve just spent eight or more sweaty, frustrating hours on the phone to get us back up properly.

I’m also not at all concerned about compensation. The one big side effect problem of this particular outage is that a lot of guild tasks were completed, but rewards were not paid out to guild members. The devs are going to have to spend some more time figuring out how they want to approach fixing that, since this is the first major outage we’ve had since the new guild task system went live.

4 Likes

I feel your pain @Nimhain but that’s a piss poor excuse and I think you know it; I can’t imagine any of you think 8+ hours of no communication while the game is unplayable for a large portion of your player base is anywhere close to acceptable. Having a community manager in a different time zone than the rest of you is something that you’ve been needing for a long time. Heck you could probably even get someone from the community to do it for free. There’s really no excuse.

Sorry to be so harsh but this is the tough love you guys need to hear. This behavior is, quite frankly unacceptable.

Edit: Grammar

Every online game I play, this is the reaction when service is interrupted. I can guarantee that when Everquest was down a month, people reacted like this as well. Don’t pretend otherwise. So maybe don’t be so judgmental. This is the outlet for players’ frustration.

1 Like

IMO the devs for this game are amazing. When we have problems, they are usually on it, when we have questions, they are usually on it. When all is well and nothing is needed from them, they are still here watching the forums and interacting with their players. THANKS DEVS!!

3 Likes

Our support team is currently working through all the tickets we’ve received recently. It may take some time (due to the server errors) but we will be helping everyone who has contacted us regarding Guild rewards.

1 Like

Wow that was a lot of hate … Can’t see that complaining solves anything ! Say your reaction and then let them fix it because that is what they’ll do!

Don’t hate, appreciate !

2 Likes

My apologies @ogunther… I had actually just worked a 17+ hour day when the server issues hit… I followed our procedures, and acknowledged the issue on the forums, and set everything in place with our server providers for a fix to take place asap. That all takes a couple of hours, and it was unfortunately 4am when I was able to leave the office (19 hour day by then! Woo!)

In hindsight, I should have made a post before I signed out for the day just letting everyone know that there would be no updates for 5-6 hours. I’ll amend our procedures accordingly so that it doesn’t happen again.

13 Likes

It’s not like we have to pay money to play this game. Things happen, They are doing their best to take care of it, people just need to stop hating and be a little patient. Things will improve. Everything is always now, now, now. Well, sometimes life doesn’t work like that, and we have to put our big boy and girl panties on and just deal with the interruptions. Nothing in life is perfect. Heck maybe we can take this time in our lives to just go do stuff in REAL life, like…talking to other humans using your voice instead of typing. Or hug your cat, or leave your mom’s basement. This is our big opportunity to interact with other people!! But at any rate, stop hating on the devs, they are doing their best. And let the hate fest begin.

8 Likes

Take as long as you want, so long as that compensation is an Immortal King!!!

Actually no, the month-long downtime for SOE (no longer in business, btw) made the national news, since the shutdown was announced in advance after hacking compromised account info. Given the choice of game downtime vs. hackers getting their personal info and credit card #s, most gamers I know would vote for doing whatever was necessary to protect their privacy.

And speak for yourself about being frustrated. While I patiently waited for GoW to stabilize, I played a little Everquest! :slight_smile:

Frustration is not “hating.” The forum has been (for the most part) quite civil.

2 Likes

I appreciate the response @Sirrian and the apology and know that you are genuine; you all work too hard on this game not to care. I do think you all would be well served if you hired a community manager for your off hours window. Most of these problems that blow up seem to happen after hours (which is, most likely why they blow up in the first place). Having someone official on the forums to continue to update players (even if the update is “No update yet. Still working on it”) would help out tremendously.

1 Like

Your post is nothing but magical thinking and insulting condescension. Correct me if I’m wrong but you’re not a dev so you probably shouldn’t speak for them. White knighting the devs and insulting other players does nothing to help. If you don’t want to read other players frustrations you can just skip the thread. Problem solved.

4 Likes

Well that, or you could quit whining. I like condensation more than whining though. But hey, do what you want. I’m not stopping you, nor did I say I was a dev, even though I do have a degree in IT. So yeah, I feel bad for the crap people like you whine about to the devs. But then again, that;s just my opinion too. In the long run, it’s not like what you or I say even matters.

5 Likes

Hee.

9 Likes

So are the issues ongoing?

Yep there’s ongoings going on

No servers are working again

3 Likes

Please modify your procedures to allow for alcohol in your office. Im sure you guys could use a drink or two.

5 Likes