Question: How do I add Hyperlinks to end of post?

Thanks Anna! Didn’t know about the “—” emplacement for larger text.

*~*~*~*~*

Also discovered you can do section highlighting by using “~~” symbols.

There must be documentation somewhere on how to use text formatting on these forums.

*~*~*~*~*

I mean, seriously. On a related example, who on earth would have guessed the Search function inside GoW itself used RegEx (Regular Expressions) and that it wasn’t just Boolean?

1 Like

@Ozball we were talking about you, four posts upwards…

Forgot to attempt Summoning him forth using that arcane magical @ symbol. Perhaps The Oz knows a thing or too about working these forums.

I occasionally use a combination of thing.

A Heading like this is done with a double ##

And you can add other things to it as well, eg italics which would give this

Heading with Italics uses an underscore before and after the text

A couple other things, you can have a line across your post like this with three underscores togeather

• List items are done with a * at the start

Discourse (the forum software) uses both Markdown and BBCode for post formatting. (Source: Is there any reference documentation for post formatting? - #2 by mcwumbly - support - Discourse Meta)
BBCode stuff can be found in that source link, and Markdown commands can be found here: Markdown Reference

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Discourse can also use some html tags such as kbd

2 Likes

you are trully the (Wizard of) Oz,-(&)ball !

i also found out recently about
< sub > text < /sub > and < sup > text < /sup > :smiley:

1 Like

This is wonderful stuff to discover in Markdown.
Thanks for the subscripts and superscripts, Anna

Let’s see,

Random Conversational Topic Hi!

Cool :laughing:

shhhh, its thanks to @Lyya :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I’d give @Lyya four kudos for
each time she bestows these pearls gems of wisdom :bow:

You too, @Annaerith and @Ashasekayi @Ozball
:angel: Thank you!

2 Likes

Another couple fun ones are “ins” and “del” for inserted and deleted text, respectively.

Create <del>5</del><ins>6</ins> Red Gems<ins>, boosted by Burning enemies.</ins>

Create 56 Red Gems, boosted by Burning enemies.

Most “safe” HTML tags are also allowed (em, p, strong, img, a, pre, h1, hr, etc.) though styling is obviously not allowed.

6 Likes

i cant seem to figure out the highlighting ~~ thing :sweat_smile:

This highlighting?

Just put four spaces in front of the sentence.
@Annaerith

3 Likes

Thanks @Ashasekayi.

I couldn't figure that one out either, I was just copy and pasting!

You also answered my other question about how to get the ‘Verdana’ (Courier) type font to show up in the forums, although the < pre >, < /pre > table tags likewise produce a monospaced (fixed width) font. :footprints:

2 Likes

And if you just want inline monospace type, you can accomplish this with backticks (the ` key).

“Here is an `example` for you” becomes:

Here is an example for you

4 Likes

I think those backticks are the

which I was trying to describe previously.

Ok, where are backtick symbols supposed to be on a U.S. keyboard, and if I’m using a foreign language O/S is there a standardized keypress macro for quickly switching between installed multi-lingual keyboards?

It’s French-Canadian and US in my case. The actual keyboard itself is marked in French alt text symbols.

The backtick ` symbol is the first key on the left on my US keyboard. It shares a key with the tilde ~ symbol.

2 Likes

Ooh, I know this one. The “backtick”, also known as the “grave accent”, is typically located near the upper-left corner of the keyboard, just left of the “1” key, and below the “Escape” key. On a French AZERTY keyboard, I believe you need to hit Alt Gr + 7, but on a French QWERTY keyboard, I think it’s the key next to the enter key, and doesn’t require any modifier keys.

I don’t believe there’s a “standard” shortcut for switching keyboard layouts, but in Windows I think it defaults to Left Shift + Alt. You should be able to customize it in the same control panel item you add multiple keyboard layouts, something like “Region and Language Settings”. I don’t know off the top of my head where those sort of options would be in other O/Ses.

1 Like

Thank you @Spherix.

The backtick ` symbol (as you said, en français ça c’est l’accent grave) does appear left of my Enter key.

But I can’t figure out how to activate it for the US keyboard format using Alt or Function (or any combination of Alt, Function, Shift+Control used thereof.) Currently, whenever I press the ` key, it defaults to writing the French è character (letter e marked with the grave accent).

Also most versions of standard keyboard shortcuts that I use on any keyboard like Ctrl-X cut, Ctrl-C copy, Ctrl-V paste, Ctrl-Z undo, Ctrl-F find, Ctrl-P print-- or the Mac versions of the same that use the Command key instead-- seem to work on other Indo-European based language keyboards as well. I just figured there might be a standard macro for switching keyboard layouts, too.

1 Like

You might also try this (on Windows):

Hold the Alt key down, then, on the number pad (not the keys above QWERTY), press 96, then release Alt. I don’t know if that requires a US keyboard layout to function or not, but it’s worth a try.

2 Likes

Keyboards just produce key codes, and it’s the layout that maps them to characters. If you’re pushing a single key, and it’s producing a character not present in the US layout, that suggests to me that you’re not actually using the English US layout. What OS are you using? Have you installed multiple keyboard layouts? How do you know which one you’re using now?

The cut/copy/paste and other shortcuts you list are just conventions that many programs use. They are not mandated by the keyboard layout or even the OS, though the conventions do differ with Mac software and Windows software, as you’ve noted. Switching keyboard layouts, however, is an OS level function, and so will depend on which OS you’re using.

2 Likes

O.o. I didn’t know about the Alt-Numpad keyboard option!

Unfortunately most laptops less than 15" do not have an actual Numeric Keypad these days, and I can’t find the “Num” or “NumLk” or “Lk” key on this particular PC. It has buttons for things like Split Screen and Ambient Light Sensor On/Off, but no buttons for NumLock or even Scroll Lock.

I suppose I could scrounge up a VB script to create a Number Lock function under Windows 10, but am willing to bet that will NOT help with foreign character layouts (Fr-Can vs. US and UK), only with adding the actual numeric keypad itself.

Similar issue with my iPad. The “keyboard” icon on the iPad provides a selection of Emojis instead of language character options. I have to switch keyboard languages under Settings only.