PvP rankings are a joke

I can certainly understand that viewpoint, @Sirrian.

New content is well and fine- but without a consistent upgrading of cheat detection, and the cheaters are being rewarded FOR cheating… I just hope that you do not lose the truly dedicated players who have brought you to this point because the bots/cheaters are ruining the game. (See: Blizzard / Diablo II).

9 Likes

Might I respectfully ask you then, what constitutes proof?

6 Likes

I also have a hard time wrapping my brain around these player numbers in pvp. This week I hit over 1k trophies and 13k pvp points, which took a bit of dedication on my part. Not like, all my time, but a consistent habit throughout the week.

Yet here I am in 23409th place. I don’t understand where all of these players are that have over 1k trophies but aren’t in rising guilds. That’s enough people to create 700 guilds that would do 30k trophies a week. So where are they?

And my biggest question is why? Why bot? There’s no trading in this game. I imagine it isn’t easy to “sell” accounts. And the rewards for high levels of PVP aren’t …gamebreaking. So why?

And if there really are 20k players playing more than me…we’ve got a pretty rabid fan base and I’m surprised I haven’t met one of them in my day to day life.

17 Likes

01100111 01101111 01101111 00101110 01100111 01101100 00101111 01111000 01110110 01001111 01100110 01111010 01010001 :thumbsup:

2 Likes

@Sththunder
I can only ballpark things but against Humans (X1 CONSOLE) that would put you around 50th this week. Take that for what is worth… apples and oranges.

1 Like

From someone who is Rank 47921 you guys actually need to come down here and see how it’s getting down here.

I win more now than I did when I started back in June of last year. I have watched me every week sink farther and farther down the Rank system

My wins this week
134 wins
0 losses

Defense (which is the joke because we all know this is a bogus stat to actually be adding to the PVP)
22 wins
118 losses ( I created a nice cushy brown team for folks to get event gems for. I tend to the weeks that there is opportunity to create and help - to create and help)

My overall stats
4233 wins
203 losses

Defense
352 wins
3499 losses

Yet when I started - end of the week I would be in the 15-17k. Now I am in the 45-50k range.

I just do it for gold, glory and trophy requirements. Until they separate out the Defense team issue - this is a total bogus set of stats.

To get back to your original question:

I play on PS4 and see the same kind of thing. Based on seeing so few “top guilds” and so many repeat opponents in PVP, I was also suspicious that the system was inserting a bunch of non-real players into the ranks (below the top 100) to give the impression that more players were playing than actually are, but the one thing that really blew me away was when Sirrian announced that over 2000 guilds had signed up for the first Guild War. When we were talking about having brackets in the GW system, I think we were all thinking that there would be maybe a few hundred guilds participating, not 2000. Only the devs have any real idea what the actual player numbers are like, but assuming that they are not making up and reporting false numbers (I think this is a fair assumption), there really could be tens of thousands of players out there.

1 Like

Playing a match every 4 minutes for a whole week straght might not be proof of cheating… but it does seem like agood time to tell people to go outside /lol

For the record, i like the tiers that give rewards for everyone.
But i have never considered the other ranking system as anything as a big joke.

Not sure if this is how it’s intended…

5 Likes

The other piece that’s missing is to give rewards based on percentiles as the rankings get lower down. That would really help give more players incentive to compete. Same should be done for Guild Wars.

1 Like

Well, since you haven’t answered, I have supplied proof. You know where to find it.

3 Likes

This also includs 1 man guilds i believe.

Our allied guild reached top 800 in less then a month of playing. There aren’t many active guilds.

5 Likes

No, not many active guilds obviously. One of our ex-members left us to create his own guild. They reached top 200 in about 3 months, with moderate requirements, a few high performers, people of all levels and some newbies.

4 Likes

I agree that the 2000 guilds includes all kinds, and somewhat agree that there aren’t many active guilds (depending on your definition of “many”). All I’m really saying is that we have no idea what things look like beyond the top X guilds where the regular, long-term, committed players live. There are going to be players out there that find the game, go hard for a few weeks and then disappear without ever being part of a serious guild. If the population of those players in any given week is in the thousands, that goes a long way to explaining your initial question. As players, it is impossible for us to know any of this, but I’m less inclined to believe that the devs are inflating the rankings with fake players than I used to be.

Like @Taisiakat, I find myself further and further down the ranks each week after expending similar amounts of effort, and the most obvious explanation for this is growth in the playerbase. No doubt, there is some botting and account sharing and other stuff going on, too, but that is a different issue.

2 Likes

I have the same feeling than others about these 30k players…

What is very strange, since few months, it became difficult to recruit good players (ie can do more than 300 trophies) which seems totally the opposite of the 30k players with 600+ trophies…

15 Likes

Agree with the OP. The PVP Leaderboards don’t make sense.

NowayJoe2Go

2 Likes

maybe they just have no life? not everyone has meaningful fulfilling life. in between jobs or something.

the 101 thing happens on Xb1 as well. Just wanted to have that noted here as an overall game bug, not just pc mob.

Yes, that’s the exact definition of what a “cheater” IS.

You just tried to call out someone calling out a call out?
That’s like… 5 walls, or something.

1 Like

The problem with the PVP leaderboard is not that there are people on or near the top of the leaderboard that are (allegedly?) cheating (please note that I am not trying to accuse anyone!). I have not personally collected or seen proof of cheating, so I make no judgement. My personal belief is that there must be rampant cheating going on there, considering the insane amount of battles being fought weekly by the same players. Either they have no life outside of GoW and can afford to spend 8-10 hours each day playing GoW or they have some advantage that others don’t have (botting or account sharing) to reach those numbers. but again, that is just MY OPINION.

But that is NOT THE PROBLEM!!!

The problem is that the leaderboard is based on cumulative stats, which makes exploiting just too easy (botting or account sharing). And there are always people that just can’t help themselves and cheat if the barrier is too low. Now I believe @Sirrian if he says that the devs are actively trying to hunt these people down and banning them, but the last few months the number of PVP points gathered by the top of the leaderboard has grown to insane proportions. This may be due to the fact that the attention of the devs has been on GW and the shift to Unity, but I really hope that their attention shifts back to catching cheaters after GW is out.

GW may be new content and a source of revenue for the devs that catching cheaters obviously is not, but that does not mean a clean game (i.e. no cheaters) is not every bit as important for peoples enjoyment of the game as new content is!

All just my opinion, of course! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Since i wrote this in another thread, i’ll re-post here… (sorry for the length)

I shall shed some light on the situation and for my reason of devoting such crazy time this week…!

Well first of all, I’m an Irish student on work placement in Austria for 3-4 months, therefore it has been very hard for me to consistently do my best for what is an amazing and friendly guild. In other words i have been leeching my ass off haha!

So reason one, was to reward my poor guildies for sticking by me, and no better time to do it than during Easter Holidays when I am in another country away from Family, Friends and basically every obligation or distraction i could possibly have!.. plus I’m too broke at the moment to travel :pensive: !

Reason two, we aren’t always so friendly in Anonymous :wink: much like Intrim express, we also have a very active guild chat, and when your away from home its a nice place to escape too when your finished a day teaching screaming kids haha :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah, the not so friendly part… recently i was challenged to a race by @alanvictor89 ! (loser had to sing on our new chat channel) ! its fair to say… i wasn’t expecting him to do much, but he absolutely kicked my ass by 30 trophies :sweat: :sweat_smile: ! Therefore i was out for REVENGE… and i knew i had Holiday time approaching, so this was my best chance!!

Reason three, not that i needed a third reason but Intrim’s brightest and best (@Nono2506) had just beat the record with 104.5k on PVP… so i thought, maybe two birds with one stone, I have an absolutely full free week (Ps. I done a HUGE weekly shopping on Sunday :stuck_out_tongue: ) so i thought what would one need to do to come close to this? Therefore i created a schedule (booklet) outlining my every hours activity for the week! (Monday is below for example) (everyday was up at 6am… 3 one hour breaks at (9am, 2pm, 8pm) and then sleep from 12 to 5:30 !! utterly crazy i know :wink: by that;s what was need for just 108k PVP.

Leading up to my holiday time, i spent alot of time tested my play time to be sure i was capable, at my very fastest i can do in the region of 1.25 to 1.40k PVP per hour if all goes well and i don’t lose :stuck_out_tongue: but giving leeway for long hours, loses and inevitable fatigue i set a target of 1k PVP (70-75 trophies) for every hour i played… therefore i needed 105+ hours of game-time ATLEAST (which led me to the 108k plan) :stuck_out_tongue: so you can see my reasons for such devotion… needless to say, by Saturday the toll of the task hit me HARD !! and i failed on my quest of even breaching the 100k mark with only 96k :cry: ! But i did get revenge and win the 3-way in guild race :smiley: GET Dancing AV !! <3 (your song is ‘I’m too Sexy’) hahaha !!!

A congratulations to all the other peeps who finished in the top 5 this week, (Revenge, Nono, Donnell, Zoo) your are an amazing bunch! i hope for a speedy, burnout free recovery from kicking my ass :triumph: :joy: ! and as @Aelthwyn mentioned above… huge thanks to our racers and all our current and ex members who supported me during the week! sorry to have let ya down hahaha

17 Likes