POLL: Random Gem Spawners

Oh and lately I’ve been matching 4 times of gem color and I WILL NOT GET MY EXTRA TURN. NOT frozen or anything…

2 Likes

If they’ve done the work and their methods are sound and consistent, then why are they not posting this publicly? I know we joke about the 50% devour being 0% us and 100% AI, but if the deck is really stacked and they have done the work to show it, then bring it forward.

2 Likes

Poll misses the “Make Jarl usefull again, i don’t give a damn about the rest” option, or simply “9+ gems or gtfo!”

2 Likes

Yep. It’s slightly higher than 50% (pre-nerf kerberos) but not as high as 1.5x.

Speaking of recall bias, I remember Lyya once said: “When luck goes the player’s way, s/he sees it as skill, or unremarkable. When luck goes the AI’s way, s/he sees it as cheating.”

2 Likes

I just wanted to say …

Thank you @Mithran . All your hard work, dedication and research are extremely valuable and precisely what the community and developers need at this moment.

So… Thank you!

I am one of those who like the random being random. I honestly believe that the only out-of-hand and unfriendly defense team that creates gems is justice one. So balancing troops specifically is by far the best solution, I believe.
Having looping teams on invade was (and I hope it will be again) fun - and should be at least partly reliable, while still possessing that “Snap!” moment from time to time if the board is not favorable. The game shouldn’t force an algorithm to move gems.

1 Like

I’ve commented on this already, but in the off chance that the devs look this far down the thread:

14 Likes

How much is 'slightly higher, and how do the player vs. AI results compare? Enquiring minds want to know.

55.96%. I have to ask my friend who tracked and made the spreadsheet for the comparison player vs AI. I forgot if he just tracked it for the AI or for both player and AI.

2 Likes

I can attest to this. I have noticed a few times today that match four’s are not giving me an extra turn, and like @Strawnyy, I wasn’t frozen either.

@Alpheon ^

2 Likes

I am not blind and I would HEAR the frozen sound… I swear I’ve missed a extra turn and just skips my extra turn and gives them the turn…

3 Likes

Dunno where to start but i just go for it.

First of all, i think it is a shame to bring in those kind of game breaking changes without communicating them accordignly and early enough!

Second of all, I can’t understand, how fresh content only a week live can be that broken to make Devs whirling the nurfhammer in this way besides it came again mid GW week.
What happened before the content patch went live?
Was the Content balanced based on the data you catched in the test phase?
I have to doubt that when i see the results.
If you didn’t catch enough data in this short amount of time, maybe come up with a -public test realm- and give it more time and people to test?

Third of all I can’t understand why the solution to balancing issues out of new content that already should have been -and was- tested before it came live, now messes around with the “true” rng.
The patch intervenes massivly in the gameplay!
If the Devs don’t want loops to appear for more than 1 - 2 extra turns, they should really balance out creatures, traits and abilitys. Messing around with the “true rng” and intentionally avoiding events that would usually happen in a game with those specific creatures is more like cheating on your players than fixing problems.
Btw this patch is not fixing anything, if abilitys, that where developed carefully (i guess?), should work out as a caskade / extra turn for the player now PUNISHES your players for using them, by giving everything to the AI intentionally and ending in a ton of losses. It is frustrating!

It comes in addiion that the Devs now made everything a s**** load harder for lowlevel players to take part of GW & PvP.
Lower Creatures + fewer deck combinations + now not even small loop combinations work out = devastating for newcomers. I mean… who needs new customers right ?

Imo the Devs have to bring back to their memory that people (including me) are paying real money for the gamecontent AND their effort to support and evolve the game in a balanced and rewarding way and not for the feeling of beeing cheated.
The changes feel sloppy and like a uncovered compromised solution

• no one ever asked for it
  • it is mid guildwars week (again)
  • RNG should stay RNG and not some scripted, manipulated happenings playern can’t even predict - because the card texts tell different storys.
9 Likes

This has been happening to me as well and with out being frozen or having any reason to lose a turn.

1 Like

I used gem spawners on PC after the change. For GW battles, even. In my experience they are “semi viable so long as you get enough of a color on the board.”

I don’t want them to become more viable. I can choose if I want to use them in my teams, but I can’t choose who I play against (especially in GW), so I prefer if the AI will not have the capability of looping forever with just a bit of bad RNG. As it is now, I can still use spawners with care and moderation, and I know the AI cannot do the same so I’m at an advantage. As far as I’m concerned, this is a good state for the game to be in.

3 Likes

Mostly agree with what @yonizaf said. Anything creating fewer than ten gems will pretty much always be a gamble - and so it should be - greater skill and timing needed to manage that as a player so these spells work to your advantage. Definitely don’t want situations creating where the AI can spam loop you to death.

And thanks @mithran for the efforts in making the poll.

But that is really not how they seem work now.
“skill and timing” has absolutely no bearing if the system just randomly gives or denies extraurn constellations. Where is my skill and timing when i play Jarl on a ~14/14 board and it still misses the overwhelming amount of times and basically never hits twice in a row even though the board stays heavily favorable for it in both casts?
Jarl is plain aweful now which he wasn’t before the 3.0.5. patch.
The extraturn being a gamble and not a 100% guarantee is all well and good, but i need to be able to make an assessment of how high my chance might be according to how many gems of the troops colour is on the board, and currently that seems to be completely irrelevant when playing Jarl at least.

9 Likes

Heres a pretty good comparison of what I’m seeing in the mobile version versus the current PC/Unity.

While I did streak up nicely on the PC/Unity version, it still feels… different. Hard to explain at this point. The positions of where the gems spawn relative to other gems on the board, mainly, not just how often extra turns are happening, but where and how. Both seem risky, but I just feel extra unsafe spawning gems on the board after I have taken any extra turns on the Unity version, regardless of how many there are and regardless of how many I am spawning. Of course, my personal bias has to be taken into account, given what I’ve seen over the last week, so I’m posting them here for others to see.

PC/Unity:

Mobile:

I probably won’t have time to post any more videos in the next few days so I hope that others can pitch in and show some examples.

3 Likes

Ya but you have have 10-15+ on the board and miss EVERY SINGLE TIME

2 Likes

I think this is the first team and the first time I may have saw looping done! Wow. Luckily I don’t have Elemaugrim but MY Jarl, and Queen, never connect like that.

That’s not what I’m experiencing. I just played a bunch of PvP with various creator teams, including one with Elemaugrim+Garnok, and another with Queen Aurora. Sure, they miss sometimes, but success rate is high enough for me to consider it viable to use.

Unless you got an update, I am missing on all cylinders with any kinda gem spawning team.

2 Likes