Poll about playing everyday or not

Yeah that brings up a great point, there should have been 5 options in this poll. With the fifth being, who is Sirrian and what is Guild Wars?

4 Likes

I’m in favor of the Battle Tickets (i mentioned it in the second thread for the Sneak Peek created by Sirrian), i think it’s flexible enough to cover expected and unexpected issues on the player’s end. Stretching it to “30 tickets and do as you please” might not be very safe/desirable on the developers’s end.
I could be wrong but still…

2 Likes

Look, Guild Wars is a hardcore system for hardcore players. If you aren’t one, and aren’t in a guild surrounded by others that are also hardcore, then you won’t do the best. You can still do okay and get rewards, but you won’t do the best.

Frankly, I think it’s preposterous that people think you should be able to play casually and compete competitively. That’s nonsense.

2 Likes

Yep we agree, it allows players to make up for accidental 1 day absence.
Making it higher then 10 ticket would be stupid tho, but 10 seems perfect for me.
At first i thought it would be open for exploit, thats why i disagreed, but i misunderstood that part.

1 Like

Let this be a lesson to me that instead of digging my heels in and just fighting, taking a second to ask a question might prove much more fruitful. I was really confused why you and I weren’t seeing eye-to-eye on this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I should add, I’m also really worried about a vocal minority effect here. It seems like a couple of people have been extremely vocal about their preference, but it’s not clear to me that that’s what most people want or is best for the game.

Also, biased poll is biased, and putting a caveat underneath it doesn’t remove this bias. I think it would be best to shut this one down and phrase it in a much more unbiased way if we want to take it seriously. That doesn’t mean we’re getting more than the vocal minority opinion, but it would certainly help.

1 Like

What you’re reading as bias is actually a language issue.

Which is why Ogunther had to word it better to begin with.

As in, I don’t believe English is the first language here.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter if it’s intended or not. And the fact that there’s wording underneath the poll doesn’t make it less biased. People read a poll and vote based on what they read. Clarity is absolutely paramount in polling.

Well I don’t think we’re voting for the President here, but sure yeah.

You should start one if you want.

I think the Devs take these with a grain of salt anyways. You can’t take these things serious because they only represent a tiny fraction of the player-base. Even if the results were 75% are fine with what was proposed that wouldn’t mean it should still be executed, know?

1 Like

Dev’s will use the database of player data to make these decisions. The forum is just a very small sample of the real players.

However, once a game goes from “Choice to play everyday” to “Must play everyday” you have now turned “fun” into “work”.

Especially if guilds REQUIRE this to be in them. This will cause a ripple effect across top guilds and separate the hardcore from the softcore even more.

3 Likes

Where are you pulling this from? This is in direct contrast to what Sirrian has said.

[Emphasis mine] While I agree (and Sirrian appears to, as well) that hardcore guilds will reap more rewards, he’s specifically says it needs to work for all guilds of all play styles. So why do you feel differently. I think you might be reading what you want into what Sirrian has said.

1 Like

Yeah I said this in the other thread, it’s okay for our Guild Leader to ask us to play every day because we can tell them to piss off, but when the Devs of a game are trying to persuade/require you to play the game every day it just feels kind of wrong. Even though the reason in this case is for fairness to all guilds that participate, and not for harmful reasons.

We know the Devs, and they’re nice good people. But it still just feels wrong. We should play every day because we want to, not by some carrot on a stick. I mean that in the best way possible.

3 Likes

Rewarding means you get a reward. It doesn’t mean you’re on a level playing field. Tiny, casual guilds should not be competitive with very active, hardcore guilds.

By its very nature the forums give voice only to the vocal minority. Just because the side presented here more forcibly isn’t the one you agree with doesn’t mean anything. The forums are still a tiny percentage of the overall playing population so complaining that your tiny percentage of a percentage is being underrepresented and the other tiny percentage of a percentage is being overrepresented doesn’t really hold much water in the context of overall representation from the player base. When we’re talking about hundreds of thousands of players, a poll of less than 100 people (who already aren’t representative of the overall whole) really means nothing no matter which way you slice it. A new poll, even if worded better, still won’t be statistically significant to derive any real meaning from it.

Edit: I just realized I used a lot more words to say the exact same thing @HKdirewolf already said better. lol

Maybe I misread what you previously wrote as I do agree with that statement.

Not in disagreement with you. But no matter the system a game implements, Hardcore will always reap more benefits than Softcore, simple because they play more, typically are better because of playing more.

Now the negative effects of too many systems that “require” you to do something daily or every other day, this could cause an even large discrepancy between hardcore and softcore. This is simply because if the Softcore players (casual) deem this as a waste of time, you will only have the top guilds doing it, then soon players split guilds more often due to the needs of the players.

I’m not sure there is a way to implement a system that benefits both players equally, I’m thinking a 7 day system might be a tad long for the softcore players, and really only boosts hardcore more.

How about a once weekly event, where the guild chooses the day they want to do the event on, and people can attempt to organize a “group” of players within the guild to participate. (Those whom want to participate, maybe only a 10, 15 or 20 person “war”. This will allow for those on vacation, away from game, or simple unable to participate to not hurt your guild in those wars.

1 Week long event really only benefits hardcore players the most. 1 Day event is more apt to both casuals and hardcore.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think maybe I misread what @Studs was saying as I’m in agreement to both his response and yours. I thought he was saying that devs created the whole Guild Wars just for the hardcore, which I disagree with, but I do agree that more effort and coordination should always equal better rewards. That’s just how competitive games work. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

i disagree, guild system is not made yet so its hardcore character is still under speculation

about what should be needed to perform best in the guild war i would prefer to be the quality of fights and not as much the frequency/time placement of those fights

i dont see putting more value into quality as a nonsense

there is simple method to make fight timing totally closed for exploits:

if i remove the tiny part, so taking 30 ppl who play more or less but play enough every week and if they made 30 x 5 x 6 (one day is excluded if i understand correctly) of perfect color victories i dont see a reason why they shouldnt be competitive with the top/big super active guilds. i dont think the frequency of those fights should be added to equation, activity is not much of a “sklill” and there is already single player pvp ranking to totally display and glorify the activity, i dont see a need for a new game mode that would glorify that

im not saying that i think giving complete freedom to when the fights are done is best solution, but i really feel like more freedom then the 1-2 days req. is needed and fair

edit: i just found this on the other thread, i vote for this :open_mouth:

or some combination of the 10tickets 2 days req. with this top 800 battles thing :slight_smile:

edit 2:
nvm everything, devs got something new, possibly best so all speculations are pointless until we find out what is it :smiley:
(meh keeping up with all the threads after i wake up and get to work huh…)

2 Likes

Just going to drop this here: Humane Design - Games Must Be Good to Their Players - Extra Credits - YouTube