PC/Mobile: 3.1 Patch Notes

Tribute income pops up automatically :smiley:

Screen resolution 1900x1200 without black bars on my tablet :heart_eyes: (=no more touch problems)

very happy now, double thumps up

1 Like

Iā€™m going to weigh in here, because I think some ideas expressed in this thread are way offā€¦

There has indeed been some significant gold inflation since 3.0, not specific to the Unity conversion. I consider the devs assertion of the inflation being solely due to 4x board acceleration to be a misnomer. Here are the actual known causes of gold inflation:

More kingdoms = more tribute = more gold.

Higher kingdom levels = more tribute = more gold.

Greater player awareness of tribute value = more tribute claims per day = more gold.

Guilds advancing in rank = higher daily bonus = more gold.

*Expanded matchmaking windows = more gold.

A lot of experienced players will be scratching their heads at the (*) item, so Iā€™ll explain: Hero level is far less important than it used to be in matchmaking. Guild bonuses are far less important now than they used to be in matchmaking. The devs did this on purpose to allow the end-game players to see more non-end-game players in PvP, and in so doing get a little more variety in the defense teams they see, since there are so many complaints about how narrow the meta is. But doing this has a side effectā€¦

Players with heroes of end-game strength but who are not in top 20 guilds now get paired >up< by facing defense teams with higher ratings and much higher guild bonuses. For example, I used to be in a top 10 guild (Tigerclaw), and virtually all of my PvP matches back then were against players in the other top guilds. Now that Iā€™ve reformed my original guild, currently ranked at approx. 530, I still see essentially the same player pool in my PvP battles, but the rating disparity is large because they have max guild statue bonuses and I have none. (Right now we are only able to complete 6-7 tasks per color each week.) The result of this is that I get a >lot< more gold per PvP match, on average, than I did when playing in the top 10; 4000-4200 gold per match is typical. Multiply this effect by a few thousand other players, and the end result is gold inflation.

I doubt the 4x feature has much bearing at all on the inflation, by comparison, since I also doubt very many players are using it, perhaps as low as 0.1% of the total base. It stands out to the devs because most of the players who >are< using it are in the top guilds, where insane levels of playtime, i.e. dozens of hours/week, are expected. In my current neck of the woods here, I just donā€™t see it at all.

Crafting as a whole is a big ā€œmehā€ to me, as I can farm my biggest need (Celestials) much faster via Explore than I could accrue them through dungeon runs, although of course Iā€™ll still do the runs. Crafting is great for someone who needs that one thing to trait that one troop in a favorite build. The jury is still out here on whether any of those new weapons will matter. And I only have limited time per week to do exploring anyway. My progression pace is what it is, and I am a much happier player not feeling any of that pressure anymore.

If I was still in a top 10 guild, I would be worrying far less about a perceived reduction in guild task payouts, and a lot more about how long I would be able to hold my team together before burnout takes its predictable toll.

What I wish for, on behalf of the entry-level players in my guild, is for a little more variety in the weekly guild tasks we are able to complete each week. Perhaps an occasional standard task could be replaced at random by a ā€œmysteryā€ task, with unknown reward prior to its completion, and with a very small chance of it being something much higher than what we would normally get. The top guilds can get excited by the hope of a mythic drop from a legendary task, let my people get excited by at least the possibility we might get a 1000 gem drop once in a blue moon, that we will otherwise never have a chance for.

Oh and before I forget: the power consumption of the Unity engine is a b*, both my Surface Pro and my phone are complaining about it. The fan runs constantly on my tablet when Iā€™m playing GoW, and there is no sensible reason for it.

8 Likes

This is exactly the same thing I was thinking. I jumped right in and only saw the pay gems to level up. Leveled all the way up, read what was needed for a mythic and wished I never would have spent gems.

4 Likes

I play on IOS, and before the update I used to sometimes put my phone on sleep (aka hit the home button, screen goes dark). I used to be able to leave my phone like this anywhere from a few minutes to several hours, and when I went back into my phone my game would still be there, ready to go.

Ever since the patch, every time I hit the home button and go back in (even if my phone has only been ā€œasleepā€ for a few seconds) the app crashes and restarts itself.

Are other people having this issue, and is it going to be this way from now on, or is this a bug??

I donā€™t agree at all. I prefer to get gems, so I decide how to spend them. Second, what the benefit would be from 4x speed if you low rewards?

7 Likes

I propose, instead, that you replace rewards like souls or gold key or map with new resources.

This has to change, this is super disheartening! I am not much of a whiner myself, but this just looks terrible bad.

8 Likes

One thing to bear in mind: The 4x speed is disproportionately likely to benefit end-gamers the most. Theyā€™re the ones that are already generating insane amounts of gold. And theyā€™re also the ones that are most likely to use 4x speed to further improve this efficiency. The ability to play matches 25% faster will have a very direct impact on their gold accumulation rates. This is clearly what they were trying to address.

The unfortunate reality is that nerfing the hell out of gold gain rates would actually be the best thing for the economy overall. It would enable them a lot more flexibility in terms of how they balance things and to smooth out the way rewards are distributed. But end-game players would lose their minds. At the end of the day, they have to balance around the extremes they created when they broke the economy long ago.

1 Like

Everything about the recent changes seems to be aimed at containing the gains of end-game players, but is going to disproportionately punish early and mid-game players. More and more, the tail seems to be wagging the dog.

3 Likes

Even with the influx of gold those rewards are not even remotely close to the value they should be. Really am disappointed by this.

2 Likes

They should have INCREASED the LT Rewards and Guild Rewards, and simultaneous included a simple +.1M to every subsequent LT completed for the week. This would directly influence end game Guilds the most while, benefiting early Guilds, and slightly impacting mid level Guilds.

First LT costs 1M, second 1.1M, then 1.2M, 1.3M, etc.

20 Likes

Why can I only like this post once?

1 Like

So they reduced LT rewards by 16% and then rounded down, apparently. I still have tons of stuff to trait so Iā€™d happily take the glory, but thereā€™s nothing ā€œlegendaryā€ about those key quantities. :frowning:

Its the gems I gonna missā€¦

1 Like

Me too.

If they want to convince people to buy gems they should make the price more reasonable instead of making gems more scarce. $40 for 50 gem chests or $130 for 50 VIP chests is robbery.

5 Likes

Yeah, I did this exactly too. I read the quests and patch notes. I had no idea I could level the soulforge with battles, thought it was gems only. I wonā€™t be able to craft anything for a while too. Makes me want to quit the game forever because of those wasted gems, especially with the decreased rewards now. Iā€™m VIP 5, but Iā€™m never going to spend anymore money since being tricked into spending gems here. I feel very ripped off.

3 Likes

Do devs take the increase of difficulty into account which should decrease the gold income (no win, no gold)?
Because according to what they did for the x4 speed bonus, they should increase the Guild Task rewards. No? It works only in one direction. Ah okay, it should be the ā€œspirit of the gameā€ā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks for the input @Stan and @Strat. Even tough it isnā€™t much an average of 10+ gems daily is better than not having the tasks.

At my old job i could check my phone regularly and therefore i could easily get more than that in tributes only, but now things ainā€™t that easy anymoreā€¦

I have to say I am grateful that I quit this game otherwise I would have been completely disappointed by this update. I was hoping it would draw me back in, but now I say good riddance.

This crafting system based on diamonds that are time limited AND RNG based is absurd. If you are unluckyā€¦ well, have fun taking years to craft! But donā€™t worry there is an IAP to help you along. And a daily 50 gem package that youā€™ll be able to buy with your decreased gems from tasks, which also hurts your chance at a mythic pull (less gems, less VIP chests, less chances at getting one).

Itā€™s not as if the increased gold you get from x4 speed was increasing the amount of gems you got unless you were a high up guild who could complete many more legendary tasks and get lucky with gems.

But guilds who were hitting the cap but not completing legendary quests? I doubt they were making any more gems, but more ā€œgem valueā€ (aka pointless things or things that are just worth less than actual gems)

Whatever, Iā€™m done wasting my time on this game. I wish the developers luck ripping money from more people any way that they can and becoming more and more f2p with every patch. But hey this game is just a product of the current market, nothing personal.

5 Likes

I donā€™t really think thatā€™s true. End-gamers donā€™t benefit more from dungeons or crafting since there are hard caps. Also, to the extent new players arenā€™t getting any Task/LT rewards, a nerf across the board to them impacts end-gamers more.