PC/Mobile 3.0.5 Patch Notes

When you do beta-testing you select players according to their hardware/OS/etc. and not according to their forum badges…
And only 5 players…

I don’t want to know how much bugs you saved from us ;-).

6 Likes

I just finished playing with the new Orc changes, and I must say I am super impressed. Not the “best” troops in the game, but definitely not the laughing stock anymore, and very viable. But the thing that really got me was that they “feel” like Orcs. Meaning, you throw them into battle, they die, you summon more and keep going. I fought a bonus’d Centaur team, and while I lost 7 or 8 troops, I still ended up winning with a full roster. And the crazy looping was so much fun! Kudos to the devs for such a good job with this change!

6 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree.

None of the arguments on either side of the Famine debate changed how anyone on the other side thought about about famine. Not one. [quote=“beanie42, post:145, topic:25899”]
Personally, I think the Famine nerf has brought it down to a point where it’s still one of the strongest options, just not THE option
[/quote]

Going to have to completely disagree here. I’ve can’t recall ever seeing a 24 cost mythic cast on me. Bumping the cost of a mythic up that high is a sure way to never have it used on defense again. Meaning it’ is no longer a strong troop.[quote=“beanie42, post:145, topic:25899”]
I’m hopeful that we’ll move from 2-3 viable meta defenses to 5-6 now.
[/quote]

Be hopeful all you want. The jury is still out on how the Kerby nerf wil effect the meta. I think we’ve gone from 2-3 viable options down to 1 maybe 2. Any other options were there all along, but were never strong enough to matter. Weakening the top team doesn’t change that fact, they are still not strong enough.

Admittedly, there were a few buffs in the balance changes that may have a chance to enter the meta. Looking at the looping trolls and maybe Ketras to make an appearance.

2 Likes

I know I would have volunteered to beta test this. I spent 25 years as a SQA engineer - to Senior director level. I know front end, back end, memory, even layers 2-4. I plan on providing them a very complex report on the memory usage/growth and lack of garbage collection in the heap for sure (at least if it is releasing memory it’s not showing in any of the tools)
I might not have all the fangled fun tools I used to have but I can test a product in great detail.

2 Likes

Kruarg is still poorly designed. ‘on skull damage’ trait, but his spell summons? so where does he go on the team? first slot to take advantage of his trait? or further back in the team to get the most benefit from the summon? Also, by summoning something, it will go in the empty spot meaning it probably won’t get to use his trait.

In my opinion, they should switch the summon effect with a devour effect, putting him solidly into a front line troop. 100% when there are 13 or more reds seems ok considering that you will use some of the reds getting his mana. And if that is happening too easy they can always lower the % chance.

Worth noting this post by @GoldPhoenix0 on the issue: (Also noteworthy for those having RAM issues)

3 Likes

When did the staff of visions get nerfed? It used to give 3-15 mana, not 3-10. @Saltypatra

As far as beta testing goes, you ideally want to get people who are (a) motivated, (b) thorough, and (c) diverse. The ability to effectively test software is a great quality to have, and (as it turns out) not necessarily something a good dev possesses. I’m sure your feedback would have been quite helpful before the release, and still helpful afterward in diagnosing the faults. I encourage you to provide whatever detailed data you can (though it’s best to stop with the “what” and not attempt to reverse-engineer the “why;” this isn’t as helpful to the devs as the data itself).

I was under the impression that they were going to expand the net before releasing; the sudden release of 3.0.5 took those of us testing by surprise. I feel they should at a minimum have expanded the testing scope by tenfold if they were attempting to suss out a variety of issues before release. Water under the bridge, I suppose. I hope they’re able to address the critical issues soon for those folks affected.

7 Likes

That’s a lot for a small game, but your point is spot on. I for one am happy they at least picked 5ish and hope they continue this in the future! In addition, having 1 tester from every “localization” might reduce the crazy amount of items that are not translated at all or and just poorly translated as @Rickygervais will attest to.

I don’t know; considering it’s volunteer work and you’ll only get a fraction of those signing up to test, actually testing – I don’t see why they couldn’t open it up to anyone who is interested by advertising it here on the forums. Forumgoers are a very small part of the player base at large, and the most vocal, so if I were them, and nearing release, I’d have let all Steam players into the beta to get as much coverage as possible. The only downside is that you’d get more noise (and have to juggle that with the “noise” from Live) but it’s better than having your Live players serving as testers.

5 Likes

[quote=“Arturo, post:185, topic:25899, full:true”]
None of the arguments on either side of the Famine debate changed how anyone on the other side thought about about famine. Not one.[/quote]
Not true. I learned more about how “the other side” felt about Famine. In fact, that understanding has helped shape a number of the opinions I post on here. Sorry that you didn’t learn anything from the conversation, but to claim everybody is just as close-minded is blatantly false.

[quote=“Arturo, post:185, topic:25899, full:true”]
Going to have to completely disagree here. I’ve can’t recall ever seeing a 24 cost mythic cast on me. Bumping the cost of a mythic up that high is a sure way to never have it used on defense again. Meaning it’ is no longer a strong troop.[/quote]
That’s quite an exceptional streak. I rarely get cast on by something that high, but sometimes bad cascades happen, despite best intentions and good strategy. Wish I had your luck :wink:

Agree about the jury being out, partly because it’s early, and partly because the AI sliders were delayed. But let’s compare notes after the rest of the planned changes roll out and some of the dust settles.

My guess is actually the beta test we did for the Unity client was a beta test in itself in regards to having players help test things before they go live.

2 Likes

A testing test. How meta.

5 Likes

Well going forward I offer my experience as a former sqa engineer to test GoW (PC/Mobile)

Meh, something happening and me remembering if it happened are two different things. I’m sure it’s happened, but when it happened it was far too late in the battle to make a difference, which is my point. Twenty-four mana is too much for the AI to get to and use in time to have an impact on the battle. [quote=“beanie42, post:193, topic:25899”]
Not true. I learned more about how “the other side” felt about Famine. In fact, that understanding has helped shape a number of the opinions I post on here. Sorry that you didn’t learn anything from the conversation,
[/quote]

To be fair, I did learn how the other side ‘felt,’ however their arguments were never strong enough to change my mind, and my arguments weren’t strong enough to change theirs. Few participants in those conversations came away with a different opinion than what they had when entering. [quote=“beanie42, post:193, topic:25899”]
But let’s compare notes after the rest of the planned changes roll out and some of the dust settles.
[/quote]

You know I’ll be there, ready to defend whatever the nerf crew decides goes after next. Though I may change my strategy, if I can’t get defenses great, I might join the nerf crew in begging for nerfs to OP invade troops :wink:

1 Like

Hey All,

We just pushed out a new version of the game to Steam with some minor fixes and improvements. The following changes have been included -

• Chat menu has been made larger
  • Fixed instances where Chat would not scroll using mouse wheel or dragging
  • Reduced memory usage on non-DirectX11 devices
  • Sort by Name and Sort by Last Activity functions correctly in Guild Roster
  • Collect PvP Rewards and Collect Gold menus are now quicker
  • Frozen effect no longer plays on all matches
  • Sounds should no longer stack when starting at the exact same time
  • Added Sort by Quantity into the Troop Filter Menu
  • Scroll Wheel now functions in the Troops Menu
  • Guild Shop menu should no longer be movable
12 Likes

Oh I was being sarcastic to one’s comment here. :wink:

Anyway what done is done.

you’re a life saver!
(i still have to see it when i get home)

Great but you got a LONG way to go to fix ALL the UI complaints like completely redesign the troop menu interface so it’s not so tedious and restraining. And why can’t WE decide how big to make the chat window? (Maybe want to take a crash course in PC UI design).

1 Like