Nimhain's Lair: June 12th

Of course it can be modified to work; it’s just code. It’s just a question of how much effort should be allocated in the process, and everyone’s answer to that question will differ. Bear in mind that anything that changes spell mechanics has in the past been a significant source of code defects, so it’s not just the cost of feature work but that of the bug trail that follows.

3 Likes

Only devs can answer this question as they are the only ones having the code.

They will add many troops (weekyl/new kingdoms) and so on, they will have to find funny/new effects that will certainly need modification/improvement of their spell mechanic. And I’m sure that Skullbeard will be very happy to have the skull being resolved before exploding ;-).

Another limitation that I don’t like is the “only one choice by spell”. I’m thinking about Sacrifice who should give one choice for the 2nd color of the generated gems and another choice to choose which troop should be killed.

I think this is a fairly good solution to the problem. Although I don’t really visualize trolls ever properly “looping”, and generally if they create enough gems to get an extra turn, they end up nearly completely wiping that color off the board anyways.

Also, consider that some of them are bad because of their colors (and traits) more than their primary effects. For example, Sea Troll is a green/purple that creates blue gems randomly… like Kraken… and Nyx… and even Venoxia. And his traits suck, even with the regeneration upgrade. There are very few situations where one of the others isn’t a better choice. Maybe this buff will change that, but probably not, especially since he would then again cost more mana than Valk. The others are more likely to benefit. Rock Troll shares both colors with excellent troops such as The Dragon Soul and now Sekhma and while he was unique on his color combination for creating brown, Acolyte and Deep Borer each share a color, but he has good traits and can still fill a role in building a specific kind of team, if you are willing to give up these other troops or deal with the mana conflicts. Dark Troll is the one I found the most usable thus far (albiet still in limited situations) having decent traits, potentially complimentary colors, and a secondary soul gain effect (for activating Void Portal, for example). Desert Troll has lackluster traits and I’m still iffy on him, but if I need yellow gen troop using brown mana I’m more likely to take Alchemist and for yellow gen that uses green mana I’ll probably want Mercy, but there are no dedicated yellow spawner shares his color combination yet, so he may yet have a use where he is the best option for the job.

3 Likes

haha i don’t see how quoting a fictional tv show where the most evil baddies can’t negotiate a set of steps really helps the argument!

but i do! fantasy can be a good inspiration for another fantasy :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly. @Draprion, if you can point us towards… I don’t know… a documentary on trolls or something :wink: I’ll readily agree with you. Until then another fantasy is a great point of reference

1 Like

I think @mithran makes some excellent points about the trolls’ colour combos. Perhaps they could be mixed up a bit.

I’m also a little disappointed that the trolls don’t smash things. For me, thematically and referencing most fantasy settings, trolls are big brutal things. The idea of them making stuff doesn’t fit so well.

I’d rather see them with a spell like - say for the blue Sea Troll:

• deal damage to an enemy, remove all blue gems to boost damage (big ratio like x3), if the enemy dies create 9 blue gems
2 Likes

a documentary on trolls, hmmmm, lord of the rings?

no, that’s orcs, hmmmm, warcraft?

no, that’s orcs as well.

so, no is the answer …

1 Like

or something like:

• if there is 13 blue gems on the board troll target enemy, otherwise punch it

punch - deals x+magic damage

troll - 50% chance to either:

• double blue gems on the board, ( punch and apply two random status effect ) to the target and to one other random enemy
  • OR devour the enemy target

i might have overdone but seemed like fun

1 Like
  • DnD, strong tall creatures that hit hard and regenerate, vulnerable to fire, low intelligence

• world of warcraft, strong tall creatures with long tusks and slight self regeneration

• not sure where from but: strong tall creatures with a club, that stay under the bridge and guard it demanding payment for the passing travelers, simple mind

• tolkien (hobbit): huge strong dumb creatures being turned into the stone if exposed to sunlight

• terry pratchett: various size creatures that live forever, made of rock stones and other stuff like that the longer they live the bigger and more wild and stone-like-passive they get

i dont recall any troll actually “trolling” but also gem creation would be the last thing id expect from a troll

3 Likes

I mostly agree Mithran, except that Rock Troll has great traits so is sometimes perfectly suited to a team. I can see myself using him a lot more once he gets the rework.

2 Likes

Most of the fantasy is coming from nordic or celtic mythologies ;-). Tolkien heavily copy-paste/adapt for his books :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Sure I know they are there but they are more filler than main cast.

i dont think that the “maincast” and whatever you consider as such is the only valid source to take in consideration for fantasy game inspirations

and they are all “concepts big enough” to me to actually use then as cool ideas

Would be great to see Wulfgarok’s spell modified to do 1 damage to the second troop and then devour, so he still feels appropriately mythic.

His third trait used to be pretty special until Guild War troops came along, as they have broader bonuses to much larger troop pools. What’s up with that?

3 Likes

I think Trolls will never work well together, but will work with other spawner, like say after a Jarl shot or a Guardian shot.

Are these the “Giant Buffs” to help Stormshield?

1 Like

All reworks takes too much time. Game has tons of troops to give love to, reworks should overflow. Sorry, but who cares about 3-4 Trolls when there is 300 troops total that is more or less useless for endgame players?? Lets be honest with ourselves, no fake attachments…

4 Likes

Well basicly this! Garnok has been in there since the beginning of the game. How come that the lamest legendary ever hasn’t been changed for 2 years is out of my understanding section.

3 Likes

I think we just need rapid changes. Every week change a variety of troop from all over that are underperforming. If something turns out to well, then change it back next week.

Throw enough at the wall and some of it will stick.

Also I wonder how large their internal testing pool is.