Message from The Commish about the Fantasy Series return

#Nothing here is decided, just brainstorming
I thinking of foregoing a Draft and having a Point System where you pay per Rarity, Ascension and Trait.

That way I can give Participants a time limit, thinking 72 hours, to submit a Team.

Boom! 3 days for that phase instead of 8-10. Plus, no long delays due to time zones and periods of not being able to on the Forum.

As a result, there also won’t be a 1 per Troop limit. That slows everyone down and there are way too many Troops for people to keep track of now.

2 Likes

Khorvash rules now. shrug

2 Likes

And Troops like Manticore would disrupt that

You could make a case for Manticore over Khorvash, sure. I believe @Shimrra’s point was that in the old series, people assigned unrealistically high value to those troops that tend to give them trouble, regardless of whether they end up in a team that’s viable for them. I agree that there’s no getting around that, but I also think it doesn’t matter so much. Gorgotha didn’t win every tournament last time, for instance.

@DonBoba’s Celestial Dragon won a lot. Tbh he always made a good case as to why.

2 Likes

I liked the 1 troop per player tho, every team was unique.
But I also like that you suggest to pay per trait and per ascension :slight_smile:
And yeah mythics should not be used at all. Like we don’t use hero we don’t use mythics either and that’s all.

2 Likes

Just don’t be surprised when you get 16 teams of Manticore/Manticore/Deep Borer/Bone Dragon fighting each other.

Yeah, I’m still brainstorming here

So, what if there is still a random submission order.

Once a team gets submitted,
An exact duplicate can no longer be submitted.
So once that first Mant/Manti/DeepBorer/BoneDragon drops
Everybody else has to move on to their second team, it would still require people to be flexible and prepared if their team gets “picked” before their turn. And, hopefully, ideally, it will push people to be creative and avoid meta teams for that very reason.

1 Like

I think the teams should still be four unique troops, even if there will inevitably be multiple uses of the same troop. Double Manticore can burn in hell where it belongs.

4 Likes

I reread the draft of series 2 and that part would be the big reason for me to play. It forces non standard teams because of availability.

Perhaps split in 4 pools of 4 or 8 each, and within the pool, draft with uniqueness required. That should make drafting faster, especially if in the same playtime bracket. Do the brackets within the pools first, then semifinals/finals for the foir winners.

Another option would be to lower the allowed points such that you wouldn’t be able to pair a pair of fully traited legendaries with more than two commons.

Exclude Mythics makes a lot of sense. I’d also suggest to exclude Guild Guardians.

Fine, replace one with Courage, or whatever it is that goes with the meta right now.

Yeah exclude guild guardians too, I think this is reasonable.

1 Like

I hate to see them go… but Guardians should probably be excluded… :cry:

Yeah but since they self feed and are only common, they would be cheap to select, and anyone could defend a point that by selecting skulls for their cast could in theory lead to unlimited casts until you win the game.

Personally I liked it how it was, with a requirement that all teams consist of four troops that are unique in the tournament. It made for some creative adaptations as players “lost” a key synergistic troop to the draft.

I feel that the draft would have gone faster if people didn’t spend half an hour writing an expository paragraph introducing their troop choice; save that kind of thing for the end, when people aren’t blocked waiting for you.

I was not a participant in the original series, and did not read much of the draft phases. I did enjoy the battles and voted throughout, having provided that background.

Would it speed things up if the rounds looked like this?
Round 1- Legendary picks only (unique, once selected noone else may pick)
Round 2- Epic picks only (unique as above)
Round 3- Ultra Rare picks only (unique as above)
Round 4- Rare/Common picks only (not unique, allows one guaranteed low quality synergy troop)

I’d say to exclude them as well. [quote=“Lyya, post:36, topic:14693”]
Personally I liked it how it was, with a requirement that all teams consist of four troops that are unique in the tournament. It made for some creative adaptations as players “lost” a key synergistic troop to the draft.
[/quote]

^ This. I like that element of things.

^, else the first person to get to choose Valkyrie basically wins

And here I was thinking of picking Valkyrie in the first round, when everyone else is going for the legendaries, then make a non-Legendary very synergistic team with her after…

excited neighing

1 Like