List of Russian translation mistakes

Oh I here and there. Sometimes I don’t have much times to write comments on forums or other I don’t know what to say. So I finish work for week and catch up on goings on with glass of wine.

2 Likes

@Sirrian @Saltypatra
One small thing that I might miss or forget about later.

The gem counter should say Камни (not Алмазы) because when referring to the board you translate gems as камни in every other instance.

BTW @Lyya was so kind as to send me all the game text in English and in Russian. I’ll get to work on it as soon as I can!

3 Likes

@Saltypatra @Sirrian here’s part one of the names and description fixes.

“[K10_Char_NAME]”: “Империна”,
Better spell Emperina’s name as Империна than Эмпирина, because emperor in Russian is император (I’m assuming that’s where her name came from?) besides, Эмпирина reminds me too much of the word эмпирик (empiricist).

“[K17_Char_NAME]”: “Мрачная Песнь”,
Not Темноголосая. Темноголосая is murky-voiced, that sounds ridiculous. Not to mention that it’s wrong.

“[K21_Char_NAME]”: “Вестник Хаоса”,
There’s no such word as Герольд in Russian. Herald is Вестник.

“[Troop_Boss_K01_DESC]”: “Кто-кто тут всего лишь уси-пуси большой щеночек?”,
That’s more in the spirit of what the English text for Carnex says.

“[Troop_Boss_K03_DESC]”: “Похоже, он вышел прямиком из «Королевы демонических подземных сетей». Кто еще помнит этот модуль, тот МОНСТР!”,
The Russian text says: Looks like he(!) came straight out of “Queen of the Demonweb Pits”. Whoever still remembers this module is a MONSTER. If you’re guys are fine with that “translation” leave it. If not it should be: Похоже она вышла прямиком из Модуля Q1. Если вы просекли фишку, вы круты!

“[Troop_Boss_K03_NAME]”: “Тенета”,
Прядущий сеть is awkward (and male). And as I gathered from the description text, Webspinner is female. So you can just call her Прядильщица (spinner, female) or Прядильщица тенет (spinner of web), or just Тенета (web. Тенета an EPIC word. And the thing is that this word is ancient, almost dead by now so not many ppl remember it. And because of that it can be an epic name for a demon!)

“[Troop_Boss_K04_DESC]”: “Детка… Ты щекочешь мою тетиву!”,
The Russian text as it is in the game rn says: baby I will pull you [onto my d*ck] like I pull a bowstring. It doesn’t use the word d*ck by it uses the verb that means the action that I’ve just described. And it’s 100% intentional. Guys, is this okay with you all?? If so, leave it. If not then my suggestion says baby, you tickle my bowstring, (as in, you tickle my nerves, you are exciting) that’s as close as I can get to the original meaning.

“[Troop_Boss_K05_NAME]”: “Ядовиксия”,
Sure you can leave Venoxia’s name as a plain transliteration but the problem is that the only Russian words that sound similar to venom are вена (vena, meaning vein) and венок (venok, meaning wreath) neither of which are very menacing… You can call her Ядовиксия (Yadovixia; yad means venom and yadovitiy is venomous).

“[Troop_Boss_K07_DESC]”: “Развращение, поглощение или сожжение? Укажите, что вы предпочитаете.”,
Расскажите is a wrong verb for stating preferences. Should be Укажите.

“[Troop_Boss_K15_DESC]”: “Некоторые великаны просто хотят спалить все к чертям.”,
Yes, …любят смотреть, как горит мир means like to watch this word burn but it’s absolutely, totally lost in Russian despite being an almost literal (and almost correct) translation. My suggestion as least stays true to the spirit of what this phrase means.

“[Troop_Boss_K21_NAME]”: “Адский король”,
This name means hellish king and is soooorta fine. Boring. But not entirely incorrect, at least. Инфернальный король would be better (and more precise besides)

“[Troop_Boss_K24_DESC]”: “Определенно не весельчак.”,
First of all, this translation says definitely not a jollier which is 100% wrong and the meaning is totally lost. Secondly, I object to the original joke. Redhead children are still being bullied at school, often very cruelly so. Do you really want to add to that using such “jokes” in a game that children play? It has been bothering me for ages. So I will not offer a correct translation. If you want it then you’ll have to find someone else.

“[Troop_Boss_K27_DESC]”: “Что за птицня?”,
Кстати о птичках… means btw about birds and is a somewhat well-known phrase from a joke; you can leave it, it’s not offensive or anything. The original meaning is lost tho. My suggestion is a mix of Что за х#йня (what the f#ck) and птица (bird) which is about the same as what you did there.

“[Troop_Boss_K28_DESC]”: “Ранее глава кристарского клуба величайших медведей”,
Предыдущий is previous and suggests (especially in Russian) that he was kicked and now someone else holds this position. Previous_ly_ is Ранее. Also greatest is величайших, not примечательных (notable).

“[Troop_Boss_K28_NAME]”: “Царь Михаил”,
No corrections here. Just a question. Why does the English version says King Mikhail instead of Tsar Mikhail? I thought English-speaking ppl knew that word.

Sorry, I’ve been extremely busy lately so that’s all for now.

More later! :smiley:

3 Likes

@Saltypatra @Sirrian
Sorry to spam you guys but I’ve just thought of another possible name for Abynissia - Инферна (Inferna).
I think it’s the best of all the options!

Anyway whichever you choose will be over9000 times better than what it is right now!

2 Likes

You already have a fan squad, @versheenah . Keep up with the pretty work! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @Eika :smiley: Do my best!!

2 Likes

Troops’ names and descriptions. PART 2

“[Troop_EL_00_DESC]”: “Это он открыл огонь…”,
The Russian text says: he invented fire. Well, that’s wrong but at least it’s not offensively wrong. The correct translation would be: Это он разжег пожар. You can leave it as it is if you like tho.

“[Troop_K00_00_DESC]”: “Ничто так не ограждает от нежелательного внимания, как ожерелье из вражеских черепов.”,
The Russian text says: Nothing protects from unwanted attention like a necklace of enemy skulls. It is almost correct but it doesn’t have the same bite as the original text. It should have been: Ничто так ясно не говорит “не лезь ко мне”, как ожерелье из черепов ваших врагов.

“[Troop_K00_01_DESC]”: “Он выглядит как дитя любви быка и социально-мобильного носорога… но не повторяйте это при нем.”,
незаконнорожденный отпрыск means illegal (bast*rd) child. Love child is дитя любви.

“[Troop_K00_02_DESC]”: “Тот, кто сказал «одна голова хорошо, а две лучше», определенно никогда не встречал эттина.”,
видел means saw (to see) that doesn’t achieve the same effect as the original text. Should be встречал (met).

“[Troop_K00_03_DESC]”: “Сердце у него не камень. Хотя… Камень!”,
The Russian text says: His heart is not a stone. Although… yes, it is! but seeing as it would be impossible to translate the original joke without entirely losing the reference and meaning I think this option is actually not bad. Or you can just leave the English text. I’m sure everyone knows that song.

“[Troop_K00_09_DESC]”: “Хуже начальника не придумаешь…”,
босс in Russian mostly refers to game bosses that you beat at the end of a level. But G&G was never a quest boss so this is confusing. Now if you mean “boss” as someone who orders you around at work then it should be начальник. не бывает while correct just sounds awkward.

“[Troop_K01_04_DESC]”: “Большой, смертоносный и показывает время!”,
может сказать, сколько времени was extremely awkward so I fixed it.

“[Troop_K01_06_DESC]”: “Я инжир… нежир… женонер… у меня хорошо с математикой.”,
я умею считать means I can count. Uhm, somehow I don’t think that’s enough. And the joke falls flat that way. Fixed it to how it should have been. The first part is kinda funny. Wrong in the sense that no one would misspell the word engineer that way. But funny. You can switch it to: Я инжынер… инжинер… ниженер… if you want something more believable.

“[Troop_K01_11_DESC]”: “Эксперт по текущим событиям…”,
текущим событиям in Russian basically means ongoing events and while being a direct translation kills the joke entirely. You can say: Эксперт по ток шоу which means talk show expert or electric current show expert because in Russian talk and electric current are spelled identically (ток) therefore the joke remains.

“[Troop_K02_01_DESC]”: “Нужно больше приспешников! Обращаться только высокофункциональным социопатам.”,
The Russian text said фанатики meaning fanatics. But acolyte is not necessarily a fanatic. Besides it sounds kinda rude. The word for acolyte is Приспешник.

“[Troop_K02_01_NAME]”: “Приспешник”,
Again, Acolyte is Приспешник. Not фанатик.

“[Troop_K02_05_DESC]”: “Со всеми этими щупальцами ясно, куда зайдет дело…”,
The Russian text isn’t wrong just very awkwardly worded. A better and more precise way of saying this is: Мы повидали достаточно щупалец, чтоб знать, куда идет дело…

“[Troop_K02_05_NAME]”: “Зеленая слизь”,
Жижа is slush. Slime is слизь. Also жижа can’t have tentacles. Слизь can

“[Troop_K02_06_NAME]”: “Жертвенный жрец”,
…is such an awkward mouthful! Maybe call him Кровавый жрец (blood priest)? It sounds much better.

“[Troop_K02_09_NAME]”: “Мизмер”,
Myzmer’s name comes from the word mesmerize, right? Only the directly transliterated Russian version lost this reference. Мизмер (mizmer) means nothing in Russian, it’s just a bunch of sounds. Now mesmerize is гипнотизировать or очаровывать/зачаровывать so if you want his name to have a meaning you can call him Гипнотик (hypnotic) or Очаровашка (a very cute word that means the charming one, I really-really like it for Myzmer because he is very cute and charming. Besides it will go especially well with his people-eating description!)

“[Troop_K03_01_DESC]”: “У нее шикарные ноги… все восемь.”,
When referring to legs better use шикарные than прекрасные.

“[Troop_K03_06_NAME]”: “Рой пауков”,
Нашествие means invasion, incursion. Swarm is рой.

“[Troop_K03_07_DESC]”: “Грядет что-то коварное”,
К нам пришел дурной скиталец is utterly ridiculous. And while there is no similar catch phrase in Russian you can say: Грядет что-то коварное, that’s the closest to the original meaning.

“[Troop_K03_07_NAME]”: “Тэл’рэй”,
The correct Russian spelling for Tel’Rae is Тэл’Рэй and not Тал’Рай.

“[Troop_K03_08_DESC]”: “Заходи ко мне в ателье…”,
The current Russian text makes very little sense.

“[Troop_K04_00_DESC]”: “Жизнь тяжела, когда на вечеринке вы вечно «водитель».”,
Due to the unfortunate translation the Russian phrase suggests that if you are a drunk driver then life is fun. And this is not the kind of message you would want to send. Especially not to Russain ppl. Drunk driving is enough of a problem here as it is, thank you very much! Fixed it to preserve the original meaning (with no unfortunate double meaning).

“[Troop_K04_01_NAME]”: “Звездочет”,
Читающая Звезды sounds very awkward. There is a word for stargazer in Russian and the word is Звездочет.

“[Troop_K04_02_DESC]”: “Несмотря на распространенное заблуждение, она не умеет делать звуковые радуги.”,
Seeing as the my little pony translator called sonic rainboom by the same ridiculous name I guess this translation works. It is ridiculous tho. But it’s too late to change anything now. /sigh

“[Troop_K04_03_NAME]”: “Главный пастух”,
…is essentially correct but awkward. You can call Herdmaster Пастырь (shepherd).

“[Troop_K04_04_DESC]”: "И Крушитель! И Душитель! Раздробитель и убивец! Давай, Громила! Давай, Верзила! Вперед, Психопат-блицкригер!",
The reference was as lost on me as it was on the original translator. But at least my version has fewer discrepancies in it.

“[Troop_K04_06_NAME]”: “Астральный дух”,
Звездный is star. Astral is астральный.

“[Troop_K04_07_NAME]”: “Моа”,
I know this is the correct translation. Boring but correct. If you could only call it Зяблик (zyablik, chaffinch) in the Russian version it would make many Russian people who have ever fought @zyablik in pvp extremely happy! Zyablik used to have Moa as their defense for as long as one troop defense was an option (why oh why did you take it away??) and many ppl I know call Moa “Zyablik” because of it.
Please name Moa after Zyablik! Such dedication deserves a reward! It’s a fun name besides! Works well with the description, too!

That’s it for now. More later! :smiley:

I hope you, guys, are still reading this, @Saltypatra @Sirrian

Edited to add: is this okay that I’m using your variables to indicate which troop I mean? Is this convenient for you, guys, or should I include troops’ English names as well?

5 Likes

While I’m sure they are (both are very good at stealthily reading the forums when you think they aren’t :stuck_out_tongue: ) I’ll make sure to highlight the more recent stuff to them incase.

5 Likes

Thank you @Ozball Much appreciated! :smiley:

1 Like

I am the ultimate ninja.

5 Likes

@Saltypatra is this okay that I’m using code when referring to troops? Is this unambiguous enough?

I’ve created a new account to complete all quests again (now in Russian), but no matter what I do the game starts in English and I can’t switch it to Russian.

Is there a way to fix that? @Saltypatra

I even set language preferences to Russian in my new steam acc, and the steam interface, too, just in case. Didn’t help :frowning:

I really wish there were a language selecting screen before going into the tutorial… But in the absence of that is there a way to start the game in Russian?

No hurry since I haven’t finished with the names and spells yet but that’s something I would like to do sometime.

Edited. I had to log into my main acc, switch the game to Russian, log out, log into my new acc and THEN it was in Russian.
No new player would be able to do that!

1 Like

Hey @Versheenah,

The language on the initial launch should match the system language of their device on the first start. Can I confirm that your system device’s Language is Russian?

But this is an issue which we are hoping to address in a future update.

1 Like

It’s language change bug. I filed it to techsupport and got “we know about it” already. :expressionless:

BTW, “Гуль” totally exists in Russian and means, surprisingly, Ghoul.

1 Like

This is mistype

Good to know, thanks!

On pc my system language is Russian, yes, but I had switched the game to English on my main acc so that’s why it started in Eglish on my new acc… I see it now.
Thanks for the explanation!

A mistype? Where? I’ve reread it 5 times, I don’t see it. O_O edited: Okay, I see it now. I was rereading the wrong word. Fixed! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Ojegov’s dictionary doesn’t know such word. Dal’'s dictionary doesn’t know it either. Links?

The only link I could find that refers to Гуль as Ghoul is… a page with Vampire: the masquerade translation. And somehow I doubt that’s a good source.

1 Like

Well, I seen it many times in specific texts - particularly, about places where ghouls exists. Arabic and Indian tales. Here is quick googled link that is not very autoritative, but have several “good” references to sources, including 1001 Nights. http://www.bestiary.us/gul/ru

Also, Witcher 3 have ghouls too. Not sure about it’s literature source.

1 Like

In the first case it’s an arabic word for demon/genie/ghoul that was somewhat adopted (and is not widely used because I’ve never heard of it before).
If Ghulvania were based on Arabic tales I wouldn’t argue there. It’s not tho. So I suggest the Russian version should use Russian words that have no misleading references.

In Witcher it might be the same case of adoption, either from Arabic or English.

In any case the pigeon thing is the first and main definition of the word.

@Smiling_Spectre1 Thanks for the link tho!

Зачем двоеточие в ключах?

1 Like