Improving Gems of War Translations

Ok, thanks for the swift reply :wink: And keep up the good work! :smile:

If anything i could help on the Brazilian Portuguese translation, in the future to come, as a native speaker.
(It’s been an idea that i’ve been chewing myself for a fanpage project.)

@Nimhain , any plans for Russian? I don’t speak it, but there is definitely a sizeable player base for it. There is still a post on the Steam GoW forum every few weeks in Russian, which use to be a lot more often towards the start of the game.

1 Like

Not at the moment. I can’t say for the future.

and you can now say something about the Russian language?

1 Like

We do have a plan for russian, but it needs some tech work to support Cyrillic. So we’re looking sometime next year. No ETA at the moment.

hopefully u can add polish letters too!
Poland /polish here :slight_smile:

1 Like

French here.

Giant Mushroom - name (Champi géant) is ok.
However the spell description still says that it will turn into a “Crapeau gĂ©ant”.

Cyclops
Spells says “l’ennemi le plus proche”, should be “le premier ennemi”

Ferit
“draine sa rĂ©serve de mana” should say “vide son mana”

Spider Swarm should be translated to “Essaim d’araignĂ©es”

Hell Cat - “chat d’Enfer” should be “Chat de l’Enfer” (just like the hound)

Aborah “restaure entiĂšrement votre santĂ©â€ => “se guĂ©rit” (just like black beast, empyrina, or dryad wording)

Empyrina “le purifie et la guĂ©rit” => shall use “le” always

Bombardier “Explose une gemme. Inflige x de dĂ©gĂąts Ă  un ennemi au hasard. 30% de chance d’embraser l’ennemi” => “
 30% de chance de l’embraser.”

Barbareus “boostĂ© par” => “effet amĂ©liorĂ© par”

Rock worm, Serpent, Sandshark, Black Beast, 

first trait : “marque du chasseur” instead of “marque de la proie”

Construct => Robots
 yurk ! Robots is robots. What about “Automate” or “CrĂ©ation” or “Assemblage” (none of which are ideal, what does RPG D&D French translation says ?)

We also have some spells saying “compĂ©tence” (brian, chtytyrix, humility) and other saying “stat” (all others).

Also the “transform color” troops do not all use the same wording. Valkyrie, Alchimist, Green Seer uses “transforme une couleur de mana sĂ©lectionnĂ©e en xxx”, while Apothicary, Hell cat : “Transforme la couleur de mana choisie en xx”, and giant spider “Transforme une couleur choisie en violet”. (Spider being my favorite, because it’s clear and consice)

Troops that drain mana have non homogeneous translations.
Cocatrix/Khorvash “Vide son/leur mana”, Dracos 1337/Spirit fox/succubus “lui vide 6 de mana”, Guardian “vide la mana” (this time mana is female and no longer use the possessive), Manticore “lui vide de 7 de mana” (ugly!), spider queen/morthani will “lui vide sa mana”

Also, have to choose whether a troop targeting oneself shall use the wording “se” or “me”, that is, is the spell written as spoken by the troop itself, or by a narrator. I feel like the game mostly use from a narrator perspective, so Gorgotha and Rex should “se purifie” instead of “me purifie”, and boombot shall “et s’auto-dĂ©truit” instead of “m’auto-dĂ©truit”.

Also, doing damage sometimes uses a different wording. Nearly all troops “Inflige x de dĂ©gĂąts” or “Inflige x de dĂ©gĂąts purs”. I would rather say “Inflige x dĂ©gĂąts” or “inflige x dĂ©gĂąts purs”.
Atlanta, Avina, banshee, bul’tauros, 
 “inflige x points de dĂ©gĂąts” => shorten it.
Barbareus “Inflige x dĂ©gĂąts” (yeah, the best version, keep that one and apply to everyone else).

there are most probably lots of other cases to fix.

1 Like

Thanks, admired the Russian language for about 30 minutes, when we can still look at it?

and the question is, what kind of bastard was translating the game?

Hi,
i didn’t understood how to write you a pm.
I’m interested to help you with italian translation. The game one is sometimes wrong.
I’m a native speaker.

Ciao, scrivimi in PM :wink:

1 Like

Is this open call for volunteer translation support still ongoing, @Nimhain? Many of us have expressed our willingness to contribute, but (if memory doesn’t fail) we have been shut down for ‘moral and legal reasons’ ( Devs Why so Lazy? - #53 by Saltypatra )

As a professional Interpreter, Translator, and Proofreader, I am happy to provide voluntary assistance when I come across shortcomings in this game/hobby I so enjoy, but posting things on a forum masterthread to have our input ignored/delayed indefinitely is not necessarily an encouraging approach.

One of my guildmates recently shared a screenshot of his squad in French:

For those of us who speak French, it is painful to see a ‘ç’ followed by an ‘i’, possibly illustrating a shortcoming in the quality of the translator involved. Surely the french GoW community would have mentioned this if given a proper effective channel to do so.

We can also see how King Bloodhammer has been translated as the equivalent of ‘King Hammerglobin’, which even my french speaking guildie admitted is a poor choice, possibly illustrating a translator with limited experience in gaming names (and with the GoW themes in general).

Suboptimal Names and Mistakes can easily be caught by volunteers, even if the info is shared early with us in the forums, if we are allowed to do so effectively, thus reducing the effort and investment required from the devs/publisher.

Still hoping that you allow us to truly help with the text QA, so you can keep focusing on other aspects of the game.

Thanks & with apologies for the insistence, but once I saw that screenshot, I couldn’t help myself.

:sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue::pray::vulcan_salute:

1 Like