If You Could Rename PVP

Valkyrie is much more common on invade team than on defense. If anything, the most common mana generator on defense is probably mercy.

If you really want, maybe Valkyrie vs Manticore would be more proper.

3 Likes

At some stage people need to just get on with life. It is a bit much.

In the world of user interface design, saying “just deal with it” is akin to admitting failure. Interface should strive to match user expectation and not the other way around. In the case that a player avoids PvP because s/he has had bad experiences in head-to-head combat in other games, s/he might just never learn otherwise. (That was almost me, in this game.) Granted, there are bigger fish to fry, but don’t underestimate the impact a small placement change or wording change can have on product usability.

8 Likes

I am referring to people wanting a name change because they find it intimidating. Are you?

I misunderstood, perhaps. I thought you were telling users intimidated of “PvP” to just deal with it. Am I in favor of a name change? Ideally the dev team would take feedback here to do a UR study and see if a name change would drive up adoption of the feature. Of course, that costs money. In my opinion, it’s not worth the effort.

They should just change it to Invasion or Invade and be done with it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Playing devil’s advocate: Or they should just leave it alone. That costs no effort, and it’s not clear that “Invade” would be any more clear or desirable than “PvP” is. That’s why you do UR studies.

Yeah my remark was supposed to be more flippant and not terribly serious, though I would certainly be in favor if they did do it.

For the record i agree with you and it’s not worth the cost for something so small (in the grand scheme of things).

Sorry, I had very bitter coffee this morning and I’m now taking out my wrath upon Internet minutiae.

4 Likes

We all now know what you need to sort that bitterness out

At first I was intimidated by the thought of PVP. I have had bad experiences with other games. I’m thankful that I did get over it and now play quite regular.

Thanks for all of your input. I intended this thread to be a fun way to express one’s self. It’s purely up to the experts as to whether or not a name change is warranted. They have done an outstanding job so far and I have no doubt they will continue to do so.

…( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 Like

The PvP here is much the same as PvP in any equivalent collecting / battling game I’ve seen…

So is the name confusing? Intimidating? Dunno… I think the idea of calling it ‘Invasion’ probably suits best…

Trying to think what I see most of on defence teams now…? Probably Mab, Khorvash, Mercy or Famine, often many of those… maws and manticore also common… And heroes in true damage teams whilst the hero stats are bugged…

A few months ago PvMaw would’ve been the only naming option…

Wait a moment. Are you – you, Jainus – saying you’re actually happy with how things are?

I need more coffee.

I do think calling it PVP is intimating.

I hate PVP in every single game, because pvp is actually supposed to be player vs player, not player vs pre made team. That entire scariness of playing against a real person is nonexistent because there actually isn’t any competition due to playing against bots. But that stigma of pvp sticks. Good for some people, bad for others.

Unless they turned it into an actual pvp system with real time battles they should rename it. It’s actually just Invading a pre made team.

I am in favor of them changing the name, even though it’s irrelevant to me. I got over my fear of pvp in this game simply because it’s not actually pvp. I feel like it would help new players.

2 Likes

I don’t know if that would be less intimidating but PvP is basically “Battles”. The AI is the same as in the other parts of the game (quest, explore, challenge…), only teams and rewards are different.

when invasions cost money - i thought i was stealing it from people… took me a while to realize i wasnt… and then pvp was okay… i hate pvp - because i come to play casually… every pvp game ive ever played had P**sed off people that were so hungry to win, they didnt help the newbies or anything… i had finished all the quests and was stuck on challenges before trying pvp. it wasnt until i stopped playing and came back 6 months before i really started doing pvp. its okay, wish i could get some extra seals from explore instead… but my guild needs me to do this, so pvp it is.

I think “intimidated” is a dismissive over-simplification of the negative feelings many people have when they see the term PVP, but there’s another reason it might be worth considering a rename.

Some people love PVP and are disappointed - and often disgruntled - when they find out that what GoW offers in that arena isn’t PVP by their definition, despite the big button with that label.

3 Likes

I’m genuinely curious why you think saying PVP intimidates some players is a “dismissive over simplification”?

I was intimidated by it. I’d like to imagine I’m not dismissing myself

It’s an oversimplification to say that anyone who, for whatever possible reason (or set of reasons) is turned off by PVP is intimidated. If it’s that simple for you, great - doesn’t mean it is for everyone who dislikes or has mixed reactions to PVP.

It’s dismissive when some say, for example, that those in that camp should just get over it.

Anyway that’s not my main point - my main point is that I see chats from newcomers all the time looking for PVP, baffled by what they find when they click PVP, or irritated that what they found isn’t what they consider PVP. None of those are ideal reactions to welcome in new players.