I don't like the GW point system

I agree with the OP in that I found the matches pretty stressful, but personally I loved the pressure. As @efh313 mentioned, it really made each move feel important, and totally re-kindled my love for this game. Despite my STRONG hate for the way overall points/ranking are determined (detailed in a different thread), the core of GW including the pressure of winning and the shadow of RnG was so much fun.

But that’s just me, and I totally get why this pressure and competitiveness that is fun for some will be awful for others, and could stop them playing like @Rasper said. Saying “the pressure is from within” doesn’t make it any easier to just turn it off, it’s pretty much an automatic/uncontrollable reaction. So I really do think that despite the fun factor, GW really will cause quite a shake-up with guild rosters, as people decide if they really like it or don’t. Unfortunate, but necessary and unavoidable, I think.

5 Likes

lol xD Should be a quote that shows after battle

7 Likes

I didnt think that was possible with the bonuses the way they are.

4th in our bracket has 146k right now, how much do you guys have?

Exactly that much :slight_smile:
Right now we are 200 points short of that 4th spot since the 4th ranked guild gained some points.
We have 10 more fights remaining for this day.

Well, so far the battles were a bit interesting as i could see the general ideas behind some of the teams assembled to defeat “All-Yellow teams”.

It seems that i managed to obtain the max pontuation after all battles, since no one on my guild performed any higher, just the same amount, and assuming that i’m not the best GoW player on my guild i guess i just nailed the max score.

@DonBoba, the battles took me just a few minutes too, so you better step up your game broh! :wink:

Jokes aside, maybe i “overprepared” myself with certain teams since the GW was delayed and maybe it reduced my hype a little.

1 Like

I like the teambuilding aspect, having some restrictions but still access to your entire roster having it up to you what you’ll use to counter whatever gimmick they put up on defense. As a concept, I like team building challenges, even better when time is not a factor for the primary reward. Its a shiny new thing with some nuances to be learned, a new meta to be figured out. I used three different full yellow teams over five battles.

I don’t like… well, pretty much everything else about it. The slip toward competition for primary in game rewards so that only a select group of people have access to certain levels of rewards. The fact that this is not just a fun diversion or some extra thing you can to fill a gap (eg., explore) but is meant to be integrated into my core gameplay, which most certainly will get old. The way the points work, in general. The fact that there is essentially gem gambling for the top guilds. Sentinel costs in general. The fact that an exclusive troop is being held hostage to get people to play the mode. The fact that there is still no clear path to be able to ascend said troop after it is pulled from the reward rotation (except a “maybe guild chests”, which would be an additional 6+ months per six troops added, cumulative). The amount of time and resources it took to develop. And yes, even the fact that it is linked to your guild so you can’t just “choose not to play” unless your guild feels the same way.

Were this just a mode I could pop into any time I wanted for PvP comparable rewards with maybe some side rewards (additional glory per color troop used, etc). But it is not that.

Basically, I’ll say the same thing I said every other time on the subject - Gems of War simply is not built for this type of competition. Its fine when its a side thing for people to do for fun, but it is always going to be arbitrary on some level and can never be completely “fair”. I’m completely fine with the various levels of arbitrary competition, but not tied to primary and exclusive rewards - thats where those feelings of stress are coming in from the others. They were totally unnecessary for those that were going to compete for the sake of competition anyways. I feel this was due to a misinterpretation of players requests that PvP ladder reward be “worth the time investment”. Too late to redo that now, though, short of causing a riot.

All we can do at this point is hope that crafting restores a bit of balance by making collections completable again for anyone starting within the last 8 months or so.

10 Likes

Just join a guild that is ranked lower than 19. Once you get to 20 or below, there’s no longer any risk v reward concerns and you should just be able to have fun.

If you want to quibble about the 20, set your own number.

5 Likes

Agreed. Not a fan of guild wars in the slighest. I had suspected long ago I wouldn’t like it… I was hoping I’d be wrong. Wasn’t.

5 Likes

Wow! I feel you, lol. And you probably enjoy ranked pvp. I play for relaxation as well and feel pressured by the present form of GW. I am happy for those of you who thrill to the challenge and even want a smarter A. I. too, but this kind of stress is not what I bargained for. Worse yet, Paragon was chosen by player level and not guild rank, so I am doubly feeling guilty to have tastes differing from the majority.

Perhaps with crafting and more mini-games the game will remain viable for me, but if my not enjoying ranked pvp, and by design, GW, hurts my guild, I’m not sure how long playing guild-less (should that happen) will be as fun for me as it is for those who are presently enjoying GW.
ᕦ(ಥ_ಥ)ᕤ

2 Likes

There are so many problems with the current implementation that I don’t know where to start. I won’t get into how unfair the whole thing is to lower ranking guilds or players with all the stacking that happens toward the older players. Kingdoms, guardians, GW guardians, double and soon triple kingdom skill bonuses… You might say “well they are playing for a longer time it’s not really unfair”. Sure when you put it that way, but then we can’t really be talking about competition.

But there is one detail that makes this whole thing completely rigged and that is the +% points bonus. Even if everything else was balanced (like arena for example where everything is equalized) that alone rigs the game.
The guild I’m in has a +55%. Since there is a fixed set of matches that can happen per week, even if we make a perfect run, how many less wins does a team with +80% for example need to still be higher than us? It’s baffling how this has passed as acceptable. It’s physically impossible to even dream of a better position than what they allowed us to be.

I don’t understand why we even need to have the matches. Just hand the awards based on guardian levels and we’re set.
It’s not like we can change the outcome anyways (suiciding to get worst results doesn’t count :stuck_out_tongue: )

PS: If I have misunderstood the +% or there is another mechanic I haven’t grasped then ignore everything I wrote past the 1st paragraph.

4 Likes

I will never understand this notion of feeling forced to engage in a new introduced mode.
You don’t like it? Just rush your 5 matches in about 5 minutes to help your guild out and continue with whatever playmode that is fun for you, no big deal.
Or don’t even do your 5 matches, get into one of the hundreds of guilds that don’t care about Guild Wars at all and boom fun restored!
If you play the game for relaxation, which honestly the vast majority of players do, then just keep playing the way you want to play, there is no reason not to.

7 Likes

You are saying that you don’t like Guild Wars because it is too stressful yet you are also arguing that the results are forgone.

The rewards outside the top 10-19 (out of 10,000?) are barely even worth mentioning.

The solution is pretty clearly to join a guild where it’s meaningless. I.e,. any guild but yours. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m NOT discounting your stress. Trust me–I left another game to come to GOW over the exact same issue. The Guild battle requirement doubled the time (and stress) investment in a casual game. No thanks!

If GW starts bothering me, I’ll either tell my guild to expect me to go 4-1 in 15 minutes or else they can find a replacement and I’ll move down until I’m happy.

So far, I’m kind of happy that I’ve actually been challenged in this game. I can’t remember the last time that happened.

2 Likes

Let me say that your explanation of why the 5-match sequence (as it works now with the grossly imbalanced points) is terrible implementation.

Even a cursory look at it should make that obvious to anyone who tested it.

1 Like

Players looking for relaxation could have the better incomes in the game. But now they have to compete through the GW system to obtain these new rewards (the exclusive GW troops is quite a good carrot). Because some players want everything in this game, they are going to leave it. On the same time, I don’t see how this feature will bring new players (cough cough compared to mini-games)…

What I don’t like is:

• the impact of loosing is quite huge for your guild so it brings a feeling of culpability/punishment that it’s not super friendly… but yeah war should be like that… I guess.
  • META will kill the good mood: I was lucky to have quite easy opponents but I’m afraid that it will less funny ASAP everyone put the same horrible teams (Deathknight, 2xFamine, etc.). So before GW, we have PVP where we have to find a good counter to these META teams. Now we have to find good counter and put 4xcolored troops who have to stay alive. I’m quite happy that we are forced to have colored teams because it changes from PVP. But META will kill this good mood… Black lists OP troops (even temporarily until a balance) seems to be a solution for that.
  • it was already said but the lack of informations of the other guilds.
  • devs forgot to work on the recruitment part: if you hire one member after the reset he cannot participate for the whole week (I’m not 100% sure about that). Okay so it means we have to find recruitments before the reset, let’s them wait until the future kicked players finish all of their 30 battles and then do the recruitment… It’s going to be horrible. It will be more convenient if it was a one day unability to participate to GW better than a full week. I assume that it’s because of the rewards.
6 Likes

This may be rhetorical, but assuming you both play otherwise “perfect” games (all daily color, no troops lost), your guild would earn 6740 points while the maxed guild would earn 8820. The first loss of the day for any given player (and likely the only one) will cost roughly half those points, or around 4400. So every “perfect” player for your guild, you earn 2080 less points than your counterpart, but each “perfect” run you do while they lose one battle puts you about 2300 points ahead. In order for you to even have a chance, you have to have every player “perfect” the day, and they have to about half of their players lose one battle. With 14 losses on otherwise perfect runs, they would still have more points than your perfect 30 player perfect run. There are, of course, other ways either of you can earn points other than “perfect” or “perfect until losing once”, but this is where the math is the simplest.

You can care about your progression in the game but not care about trying to get on some scoreboard, but many are made to care because of the reward structure. In order to step away from guild wars, some players would also have to give up something else. Many people are fine tossing in a million+ gold and 1500 seals weekly and probably reach whatever trophy goals were set before guild wars just incidentally. They did that last week, and they’ll do that next week. However, in many guilds that “don’t care” about guild wars most players would not come anywhere close to this. My guild doesn’t even get to legendary tasks, and most players are still making an effort to perform in guild wars, so the pressure is going to be there regardless of if it is strictly required, even in most casual top 100 guilds. For now anyways. This might die down in a few weeks when everyone realizes how little it matters once you are out of the top couple brackets and how it is impossible to compete with their statue bonuses. However, in a guild that doesn’t even register for guild wars (and is there any even close to top 100 that did this?), you miss an exclusive troop and put your self six months behind in terms on the highest you can get their respective kingdom’s stars.

Only because guild wars is suddenly a thing and important for certain top guilds (in large part because the gem reward at the top, and the lack of other ways to get the troops) is this suddenly another thing some people have to do it to have the same level of access to collection building/upkeep as you did last week.

Plus, to some people a guild means more than just a resource mill.

4 Likes

But the reward structure is already massively skewed to begin with. Personal investments of time and effort have never been rewarded in this game if you weren’t in a guild high up enough. The amount by which a player of a top 5 or so guild out-earns a player of some carefree guild, even if both players individually invest the same amount of time and effort is astonishing, and allways has been. GW rewards are just another step further into that direction.
Personally i don’t like it either, but this is neither new nor changing the already established reward structure in any way.
Player X gets more shit than me because other players in his guild has always been the reward structure of GoW and GW just follows that model.
I understand why this bothers you in general, i really do like i said i don’t like it either, i just don’t get why you see it as something more bothersome in GW than in regular play.

You are no guild hopper, that is great, neither am i, so just rush your 5 matches in under 10 minutes and stick with your GoW family. You don’t have to care for GW to do that, the time Investment is minimal.

2 Likes

I suggested a long time ago another PVP mode with restrictions on wich troops you can use for a week, just as an example, and it wasn’t a very welcomed idea. Meanwhile on the other side of the coin people complain about a stale META that, surprisingly (not to me), barely changed with all the positive incentives from using troops that have some weekly bonus or teams of troops that need to be hunted for some rewards. In a perfect world rebalancing troops wouldn’t take so long, but if it can’t be done as fast as we’d like then adding some restrictions certainly would put some “rotativity” and spark some creativity among the players.

1 Like

After one day of competition it feels a bit soon to be passing judgement too hard… but I find myself sympathising with the opening post… I won 5:0 but used say 3 yellow troops in the team. Score looks okay but not great. I wonder what my guild mates will think.

The points loss for missing out on that fifth win is extremely harsh. I don’t think I like pressure that creates, when every defence has RNG deathmark risk…

8 Likes

If you listen to players, they will ask for brackets better than a leaderboard, devs will listen half of their wish and just put what we have now: bracket for the points but not for the rewards ;-).

Magic the cardgame is often cited, I’m not a player but I know that during competition some cards are forbidden because OP or whatever other reasons. And I’m sure . It could be great if devs can do that better than nerfing troops so that they became useless in both invade and defense teams.

No really, where is the fun to fight against Deathknight/3xSpirit Fox?

2 Likes

Agree on the last point. That Deathknight trait is a bad idea anyway, it adds only annoyance to the game. Hitting that kind of RNG crap in pvp is bad enough, but at least in pvp you can build an unrestricted team to deal with it, or just skip that enemy.

SpiritFox may prove a problem. Maybe it should lose Empowered. It was only contrived as a silly counter when Maw/Mercy was the broken combo and devs wouldn’t or couldn’t nerf Maw or Mercy. Or maybe Empowered is changed so that only one Empowered can fill at start of battle for each side: make it a ‘unique’ function.

3 Likes