I conducted a scientific study on the state of current endgame meta

[quote=“Ivar, post:184, topic:11469”] We don’t have daily tasks in PC/Mobile, but we have a fast rate of progress with guild tasks in both platforms.

Roberts idea is truly amazing though!!
[/quote]

You will have tasks soon. And the guild tasks will not be quite as lucrative either… also soon ™.

I can start a thread later. I do really think it can be a great solution. Oh, and thanks for the compliment :innocent:

1 Like

Ok, i must admit that you got me and i chuckled with the edit. But if it was a little sarcastic because i said “worth” it’s more because i think the idea deserves a proper place to be discussed/improved, otherwise it “gets lost” here.

I actually would leave a detailed discussion up to the devs. If they like the basic idea they are much better suited to hammer out what they’re willing to reward for something.
But it can be very worthwhile to put the idea into its own thread, to see if more of the forum chimes in with “good idea” or not.

1 Like

@Ivar I was trying to help, but when you went ahead and discounting my advice just so you can continue your tantrum, I gave up on you.

So @Robert is right, the conversation was no longer constructive and was just the same points argued over and over.

Mainly, I’m tired of the negativity and incessant whining every time a Troop is released and it messes up your favorite team.

Unfortunately, the developers released a few Troops that were highly abused and made the playerbase complacent, lazy and unimaginative. As a result, they had the biggest role in creating the current Speed Meta.

Now that they want to scale it back, but you people want this meta so bad, that EVERY counter to it has been driven into the ground and is adjusted to the point of ineffectiveness.

FYI: Console has a much worse version of Maw than PC (as a result of numerous bugs), yet what did Console players do? They dealt with it, found counters and won. No entitlement to fast matches, no entitlement to never switching teams.

2 Likes

I’m only level 166, and one of the most common defense teams I see right now is Emperor Korvash, Manticore, Valkyrie, Queen Mab, or some minor variation. I don’t think the end-game is really all that different from any other stage of the game, other than the players have nearly every troop, and nearly everything is fully ascended, leveled, and traited. I’ve repeatedly seen the claim that opponent selection is all pretty much the same from level 200 on. When people don’t have everything, they’ve got to make do with what they’ve got, so there’s more variety. When people both have everything, and have had the chance to determine what’s the best, that’s what they’ll most likely use. Just because non-end-game players can’t determine that something’s overpowered doesn’t mean it isn’t. Lots of the balance problems in the game don’t require actually experiencing them to understand that they’re a problem and why they’re a problem. If you can understand the game well enough to build teams, then you can understand the interactions between troops, how they synergize, and what possible ways there are to counter them.

Impervious is incredibly powerful, because it so strongly limits the possible counters to a troop with it. I’d wager it’d see more use if you hadn’t taken it away from troops people were likely to have and use, like Golem. Now it’s only available on a handful of troops (9, which maybe qualifies as two handfuls), of which Behemoth, Carnex, and Plague are too rare for very many people to have, and the rest are either terrible or terribly situational – bar Manticore.

Empowered Mana Drain? Spirit Fox hardly even counts as mana drain, since even a three-match can refill the lost mana with a surge or a link/banner bonus. Spirit Fox is targeted pretty clearly at shutting down an Empowered Mercy, and not much else.

You pretty systematically removed all self-attack buffs that could be boosted to useful values back in 1.0.9, and have slowly been reintroducing troops with the same level of capability since. Between the low mana cost, the base strength of the boost, and the amount of mana drained, Manticore can very quickly reach very high attack values, making skull generation risky, all while denying the ability to deal spell damage, and safely protected from any status effects that could take it out or nullify those advantages.

Cockatrice, Spider Queen, and Succubus do have comparable chain-mana-draining power, especially Cockatrice with Air Link. But they have other weaknesses too that make it possible to counter them. Manticore’s just too perfect of a troop, covers too many bases. Every troop needs a weakness. Maybe I’m just not very good at the game, but I can’t even imagine a decent counter. Can’t entangle to counter the attack buff. None of the attack/skill debuffs/steal spells or traits are fast enough to counter the rate Manticore can self-buff, other than maybe Warhound or looping with Plague. So skull damage is risky, and it’s not like you’re going to be able to charge a skull generator anyway. Manticore’s got high life and low armor, so true damage isn’t a good counter. Spell damage suffers the same problem as charging a skull generator. Poison and death mark are out, and you can’t even use disease to try to disrupt the chain-draining. The only option seems to be low-mana spell damage. Goblins, I guess.

I’ve beaten some teams with Manticore on them, but it requires me to get lucky, and the opponent not to. My problem isn’t that it’s a long, slow win, but that more frequently it’s a frustrating loss in which everything I attempt to do is shut down before I have a chance. Any mana I collect is wiped out immediately, unless I get lucky and get a chain or a quad match so I can collect multiple colors. There’s probably a counter or two that I just haven’t found yet, and it’s probably the combination of Emperor Korvash and Manticore more than it is Manticore alone, but it’s clear that Manticore is a really good troop, a chimera far and away better than anything else with the individual pieces it brings together. It’s better at stunning, draining, and self-buffing than just about every other troop, while being flat-out better than almost every other troop with Impervious.

In my personal opinion, Manticore’s strengths are the chaincasting, impervious, and the power of the attack buff. Any one of them alone isn’t the problem, it’s that Manticore has all three, especially as an Ultra-Rare. Addressing any one of them would bring it more in line, and open up more counters. Decreasing the drain, or switching it up with Spirit Fox, is a potentially good idea on its own, but doesn’t address Manticore’s core strengths. Other mana drainers can chaincast just as well, but don’t gain an enormous buff in the process. Impervious quite possibly nullifies too many strategies at the moment for any troop with so much life, but is just killer in combination with the mana drain and attack buff.

And beyond whether or not there’s an appropriate counter to Manticore, what isn’t Manticore an excellent counter to itself? It can chain-drain pretty much anything, then chew through anything with its massively boosted attack skill, including Stoneskin, which it so conveniently disables through stun.

So anybody: How would you counter Manticore, and are there any troops it doesn’t effectively counter? What enemy troop would make you think twice about bringing Manticore to the battle?

2 Likes

My tantrum? I tried my best to reply everyone over why Manticore is just over the power curve.
“Tantrum” is really a nice choice of a word from someone that came to the extreme of claiming the developers were conspiring against you… Check the skeletons in your closet before coming out with this sorry excuse of a reply trying to spit on my posts just because you disagree and resorted to the imature response of posting memes and claiming that everyone is wrong except you and your supporters.

2 Likes

I have never denied I acted immature in the past, but since you have no idea of the context behind that, you don’t know the whole story.

If you could read the posts without getting triggered, you’d noticed I haven’t picked “a side”. I have no opinion on whether Manticore should or should not be adjusted. I offered solutions, you ignored them to repeat the same crap you already have 10x over.

Spit vitriol all you want. You aren’t fooling anyone. You’re pissed Manticore counters Mercy and she’s the lynchpin to your team, we get it.

I feel this topic would be better served by focusing on suggestions for change by those who wish for change, and keeping the ad hominem to a minimum. This thread has the developer’s eye, and he’s also explicitly requested it stay on topic.

3 Likes

I agree. ***** dealing with it. In fact, **** this whole site. Bye.

1 Like

I’m sorry if the truth stings, but you can call my posts a “tantrum” if you want to. It’s the same as having a reanimated dead buzzard who chocked on a roadkill skunk’s ********* that’s been sitting inside the intestines of a dead tauntaun saying that my breath smells bad right after i brushed my teeth.
I’m just questioning the entitlement of such accusation and i’m the one triggered…
(Also i would inquire the necromancer responsible for this zombified buzzard: “Why?”)

Dude, you seem to be missing the point of some of these posts and a little bit over aggressive too. Have you got anything constructive to suggest what could help end game players?

2 Likes

Let’s not discount the console folks. If anything, they have to deal with our bloody leftovers. They’re STILL using the broken Maw that PC/mobile users had to lobby for week to get fixed. So this is important to them too because if it doesn’t get changed, they’ll end up having to go through it in the future.

3 Likes

Do I have your permission or nah? :thinking: :beers:

I agree on that @Fifthelement , it’s a matter that will impact their gameplay as well. What i don’t agree in the least is when people come to these topics to say:
“Something, something is ruining the game…”
“Your opinions are just opinions, my opinions are facts!”
“You suck, learn to play! U mad bro?”
Frustration is quite easy to build up this way because well, few people are really coming to the discussion to avoid the heat from one side or another

Well parts of this ARE fact and some are just opinions…

“Every team I face in PVP has Manticore in it” - Fact
“I’m seeing a big variety in PVP and not a lot of Manticore” - Fact

“Manticore is overpowered” - Opinion
“Manticore is not overpowered” - Opinion

That’s why we need to be careful to be open to suggestions from everyone. Experiences vary and at the end of the day, our own experiences are the only facts we have outside of the data that the devs choose to divulge to us.

You don’t need it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll take that as a yes :blush:

Except for the few suggestions of how to balance Manticore to make it work for the end game players, that I shared already days before this topic appeared? And apart from pointing out to someone who never even played against one, that being loud about how “it should not be nerfed, you just have to learn to play against it”, that it’s not really his/her business to do so? Hmm, when I will, I’ll share them, for now I’m good thanks.

But just to recap, cost up to 11-13 and empowered switched with Fast, those two simultaneously could make it work. Or alternatively removing the Impervious from it, so it can be countered by silence (even then personally I’d be in favor of bumping the cost to 11).

you did catch the point, that what I’m advocating for is THE CHANGE, and what the poor console player was doing, is trying to prevent it and making the problem stay around? I am aware of the fact that it will affect them, and soon too, since by the end of the year (if I recall?) Console will have caught up to the PC version. But for now it’s us who have to deal with Manticore, and it’s thanks to us that Maw (after a fair share of struggle) was fixed, amongst other things. So maybe they should be a bit more grateful that the version of the troops/game they will get, has a chance to be more balanced, if we contribute to the changes happening sooner. Just to point it out.

I’m also aware of which parts of what I write are facts and which are my opinions, I assumed that other users of the forum are at least as intelligent as me, if not more. Therefore it was pretty self-evident which part is what I THINK and which are facts. But if I was wrong and some people require tags, I will try next time to label parts of my comments, with special tags (color coding would work better though I guess).

It was, and if I have misunderstood your intention - I apologize.

The dripping sarcasm and condescension really isn’t necessary, you know.

3 Likes

Hmmm… I just hope that this wasn’t caused by a bad impression of:

Being more clear: i tried to refer to some elitist position of some jumping right away to this discussion assuming they are entitled to simply say: You are wrong just because i say it so.

1 Like