How gems of war is still on the wrong road

How you define yourself is totally up to you. :wink:

2 Likes

I think http://www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart is leaking

2 Likes

Do devs really design the Event system like that hoping that players will be nice enough to put the good sort of troops so invaders could farm Event gems? And without any rewards for the Defenders?
Since the beggining, I played the ā€œgameā€ and changed my Defense every week to help other players. But how much % of players do that?
If they really want us to farm Naga this week, they can just remove this Defense system and letā€™s us fight only Nagas teamā€¦

For the Meta part, Bone Dragon is the problem now. But we all know that after his nerf another troop will be the new OP one and so on, the issue will never be solved.
But at the same time, Bone Dragon will become partially or totally useless depending of the nerf (and from what Sirrian said it will not be a small increase of his mana costā€¦). Like Maw, Webspinner, and all the previous OP troops that have been nerfedā€¦
And Bone Dragon is the problem not because heā€™s OP but because everyone uses him in their Defense. He didnā€™t get any buff since one year and the first topics about his OPness began in last November. And what happens between last February and last November? Everyone was focusing on Mawā€¦

So yeah, the problem is the Defense system: players will always but the META in their defense and so on, when we invade we will have to fight the same team again and againā€¦ Sadly, itā€™s almost impossible for devs to remove this feature else they will have to change this part of the overview of the game:
ā€œAre you looking for a greater challenge? Maybe Player vs. Player (PvP) combat is your thing. Fight other players in each kingdom, become the champion, then defend your title against the ravening hordes. You can even join a guild and fight alongside your friends!ā€

5 Likes

Agree. The events system is a step in the right direction, but to help pvp variety it really needs to incentivise changing defence as well as farming other game modes. I sympathise with @wskillā€™s opening volley but donā€™t think the situation is as apocalyptic as he makes out.

3 Likes

It will be if this power creep continues as i have explained so many times and nothing will prevent it other than either downward balancing or a total makeover of how pvp works eliminating the abillity to create cheese or overloaded meta decks that serve only to irritate players.

I have posted a possible makeover solution a bit up before people started to pointlessly fight over BD in a thread that is trying to transcend it to begin with.

To conlude with my own opinion of BD; BD isnt the problem its one of the many symptoms of the problem. Make your own BD thread. I dont mind BD, i dont mind Korvash, i dont even mind Mabā€¦ and all of them are grossly overloaded and nothing can be done to balance them out in terms of upward balancing. So if devs are unwilling to nerf anything PROPERLY (which i can understand considering backlash from customers) then the only thing that remains is a different approach which im doing in this thread.

Weekly event buffs are upward balancing too, and as i have said just a wizard of oz the color is green/red/gold dictation that is part of the same wrong road leading to tightening gameplay untill it COMPLETELY depends on flavor of the month whole, were already very close to this.

Now i do have to say i have no clue what this guild wars thing is but if it has anything to do with the mechanics that pvp has right now it will be nothing but equally toxic and accomplish nothing.

1 Like

I like the way Hex Wars does it. You draft your teams from unopened paks of cards we all use. No team setup will ever be the same. The difference is you only get to pick one card from your pak then you pass it to your left and that person gets to pick a card from your pak. Goes on that way till every person in the tournament has opened their pak and passed it around to the other players. Then you have a round robin tournament until last man standing best two out of three elimination.

But, that is a player to player tournament not a player to AI which is what hurts this game most not being able to play the real mind behind the cards on defense.

You might get some meta cards but you surely wonā€™t get them all and so you have to learn to play with all the cards instead of the same old set.

1 Like

The problem is that mechanic is very similar to a game mode we already have - Arena.

1 Like

but itā€™s not the players and itā€™s not player vs player strategy. Itā€™s just a player putting a set of cards into some slots and the dumb AI playing them. Would be so much better if we could actually play each other.

1 Like

Due to the complexity of what that would require to accomplish and the amount of code that would need to be rewritten, the chances of that ever happening are slim to none. Maybe in GoW2 but you wonā€™t be seeing true PvP during the next 18 months, I guarantee that. If thatā€™s truly what youā€™re waiting for, Iā€™d suggest moving on and finding a different game to play rather than sticking around and insulting people.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I thought, although Arena is probably due to be updated. I know they buffed the rewards a few months back but its been awhile since the model has been examined.

Real pvp would sadly be a joke in this game, unless something was done to stop loop/control teams. GoW just doesnā€™t seem to be the right game for true pvp. Between core conceptual problems, latency and disconnects, bugs and meta repetition, for me true pvp would likely be a disaster here, as well as a humongous sink of development effort.

8 Likes

Exactly; thatā€™s my point. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What about a random element to PvP (?) As in the opponent playerā€™s cards you face are ones owned by them, but randomly chosen from a pool by the game itself.

Then the more leveled up and fully traited cards you have will be the most important factor for defensive PvP play, and all the cards you own will matter. Win, win.

Please forgive me if this has already been suggested, and just consider it a +1 to the idea if it has.

Your suggestion is noted; mark me unconcerned.

Donā€™t really care what you suggest pal. Iā€™m stickin around to tell others what I think that will be happy to know what I think; unlike you of course.

Someoneā€™s been stewing for 8 months lol.

9 Likes

GoW isnt on the wrong roadā€¦ Its the player base. Example:
Capture _2017-11-09-12-54-01Capture _2017-11-09-12-53-28

In response to this i have changed my PvP defense from an all raksha team to the cheesiest of cheese
Psion
Ragna
Famime
Famine

Have funā€¦

1 Like

necromancer_meme

6 Likes

I didnt necro this so your meme would have been better timed about 15 hours ago

I put some of the blame on the game for this because there is no reason to put up a raksha team except to be nice. If we had event gems for defense teams too we would see a lot more raksha team. Set the amount needed low and give one for everytime you are invaded and are using a full raksha team. The rewards donā€™t need to be great just some gold, glory and traitstones would be enough for a lot of people to change their defense teams weekly.

I did have a raksha team earlier in the week but when I saw 90% of people still using Troll/Kraken/Kraken/Mab I switched back to that as well. The only reason I switched it again is because I am trying out a new defense team for GW.

5 Likes