How gems of war is still on the wrong road

I think you misunderstood my comments on removing defense as advocacy. I honestly don’t care what they do. Your solution is as good as any other.

The problem is that proposed “solutions” have been offered up dozens of times in the past and they go nowhere. The best solution was to use the Event system as an incentive to mix things up. They had an actual opportunity to solve the issue and instead opted to use the Event system for increasing the powercreep.

So we’re back to complaining about it.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m new here, but what’s the idea for tying defense teams to weekly buffs? Like you get Snotstones by beating defense teams that have the troops that are buffed with the weekly event (and the buffed troops aren’t the “meta” troops)?

Sometimes the weekly buff can make an otherwise underpowered/lackluster card viable. So, that would entice more people to use it on defense since it would give them a better chance of getting that defense win. Ultimately, this also helps the person on invade gather event points because more of the event troops are being used on defense in this scenario.

As it stands now, some people use event troops (usually non-buffed) on defense out of the kindness of their heart. And well, that kindness can be seriously lacking some weeks.

1 Like

Yeah pretty much, i had the idea of devs creating a collection of teams that youd have to fight in pvp perhaps dependant on the players kingdom choice instead of what players themselves selected based on the most cheese gimmicks and with it create frustration. Devs would know the fine line between challenging and irritating and could thereby prevent certain matchups such as having to fight ridiculously toxic crap like the mantibore decks or the spirit fox mab justice decks. Anything but what custom defense and therefor what you need to fight against currently is now… It would also take away so much necessity of ‘nerf/buff’ to balance because balance would be alot less important at such a point.

Lets face it we will never have live pvp (unless devs ignore how toxic this will be in a rng based game) so theres really no reason to keep up the illusion of competition… its a personal experience really which right now can and often is very negative due to facing too much unfun mechanics either overlooked or just ignored.

What better way to handle this than to take away the platform instead of having to nerf and buff this game into oblivion wich has as the current choice of operation a dictated meta.

As for the sirrian discussion, it was a technical discussion on priorities, not a ‘disagreement’ on how anything should be done. I personally emphasis gameplay balance and am now trying to help eliminating causes of dismay by thinking outside the box rather than looking at intrinsical concepts such as content in its current buisinessplan (forced meta in this case to prevent unhappy customers when nerfing anything).

1 Like

I believe the Event system is well-thought-through in-general though I do agree there are some annoyances that have come along with it.

I think it has generally enhanced the depth of the game and it encourages people to explore the different mechanics as well as troops that wouldn’t normally see the the light of day. IMO the very antidote to the samey-ness of endgame that we are so highly critical of.

OTOH it has also “magnified the warts” so to speak where things I would be considered “broken” like four Scale Guards start to creep in. In a way it has been a self-cleansing problem. Day 1 of this Event saw every team being 4 SG then when the realization sunk in that nobody was fighting them anymore they all switched up on day 2. I am not making excuses for what I feel is indeed a broken thing that also happens to be annoying AF. I think Sirrian is on our side on this point as he has said previously that he fought against (and lost) allowing 4 of same per team.

I feel in game design that mechanics adjustments tend to oscillate between over/under-powered ultimately settling on what is “best” for the enjoyment of the broader audience. I imagine the annoyances of the Event system will be smoothed out. Faith to a degree, yes, but I’ve never felt let down so far by the high-level ideas behind the game design.

Anyways just my 6032 Kyrstarian cents.

5 Likes

I hope it wasn’t the intended antidote to the repetition of the end-game because if it is, it didn’t work.

Hopefully, Guild Wars will address this somewhat by forcing the use of certain colors if you want maximum points. So I guess we’ll see.

You only picked out one part of my total comment though. I would hope that you would take the comment as a whole, not just a series of words you can select from.

1 Like

Because that’s the only part I thought needed addressed. The rest of your post was spot on.

The part that I picked out seemed to be you saying the end-game was fixed now. It’s most certainly not and that’s why I singled that comment out.

Or now that i think of it, what if Devs created a defense of the following;

-Kingdom selection gives you a SELECT trooplist to create your defense team from. This trooplist is maxed with all 3 traits.
-Specific troops will be excluded by devs insight so there is a grid of balance that cannot be f-ed with. (its just a puzzle really, not that hard to create)
-PVP will thus change into fighting players kingdom teams based on such troops that thereby STILL have customization but also much better balance because OP ridiculous combinations can no longer be created.

Just popped into my head.
Anyway dinner time and after that ima continue slapping hino enmas butt in twilight NG+ on nioh.

I guess you either missed or ignored the part where I directly said it was “broken”

This is why I usually state my point and leave.

You directly said what was broken? The end-game, or the event system?

Because you clearly said the event system has “magnified the warts” but in reference to the end-game, you never said it was broken, just that it generates a lot of complaints.

You suggested that the Event system IS the antidote to all the complaints. It’s not, plain and simple. The end-game is still endless teams of Bone Dragon. The event system largely changed nothing at all.

EDIT: I see where the disconnect lies. You were talking about the Event system being broken and I was talking about the end-game being broken. Two different things. Let me put it this way - in general I like the event system. Like you said, it has improved the depth of the game. It gives us one more thing to strive for. On the other hand, the Event system could have done so much more to help the end-game variety issue and it just didn’t.

I know people hate the word “nerf” but if they’re not going to address the problem any other way, what are we left to do? The same 2 or 3 teams over and over again isn’t fun, it’s boring and tedious.

Please don’t ask the devs to get rid of defense; that would mess up GW, too. Instead (and this may have already been suggested as I haven’t read all the replies) incentivize players to create more diverse teams. My thoughts:

1. Completely separate the defense teams out from the 20 team slots. Defensive teams should have their own area with multiple slots (Not necessarily 20 though, maybe 10 max)
  2. Make it so defensive teams can’t use more than 1 of any card (no multiples)
  3. Defense wins and losses and the rewards gained from them should be more transparent (when you click on a defense battle, you should be able to see what rewards you earned from the battle)
  4. Incentivize using defense teams that use the current week’s event frag givers (i.e.,. any wins that have at least one of the event frag giver troops give 1x bonus per event frag giver troop used to the defender)

Done. Problem solved.

11 Likes

I like the idea of allowing like 3 defense teams, not allowing multiples of a card, and then selecting one of the teams at random. That could be really interesting! It would also solve the problem of hitting the same player over and over again.

2 Likes

Even if the developers would just follow they own ON SCREEN text that they wrote, That would help. This week you had Desert Mantis on console generate +5 Glory for PvP wins (note explicitly NOT PvP Invades). But if you used him in PvP Defends you don’t get the extra Glory.

Something like this could at least slightly encourage more variety with each passing week as thing rotate.

I think in hindsight picking L.E. with EK being so popular caused the massive number clone Defender teams.

I would love it if is the PC/Mobile got a week of +25% Dragon, +25% Undead, Bone Dragon wins get +5 Glory. There would be 2 pages of Nerf calls.

2 Likes

You are cruel human being @strat… In fact you may not be a human being at all… :scream:

2 Likes

I’m a little bit thankful that they went with Mantis’ other type. They could have just as easily boosted L.E. and Monster, which would have given Khorvash +50%, not just the +25% that he has.

1 Like

Sadly you’re correct. Even though it’s just an event and after a week goes away, people still feel the need to post. This is a fairly normal thing. There’s a correlation between how many times someone sees a thing and how many forum posts there are. I saw Donkey Kong 50 times this week out of my 300 matches, nerf that pos.

2 Likes

After reading AND MIND YOU READING! not skipping over crap, Actual Honest to God reading, all I can deduct from this thread is this. Get rid of defense teams to get rid of Bone Dragon. To which I say, Git Gud, punk! I’m around 210ish player. I run into a lot, and a lot of Wraith, Courage, BD, Famine in my 3 trophies. What do I do? I simply flip it on them. I cancel them out with a Borealis cast or Mab’s third trait, or hell, damage them so hard that I can afford to lose a troop. But the true terror has only yet to begin. You see next week is Dragon’s Claw. Which means 25% boost to DC and Dragons. Ofc you will see more BD but do you know what will come back? Low level dragon teams which were not viable earlier come back to life, and make you reminiscent of old times when you grinded with them. (Another is my TDS will be ridiculously buff and since I unlocked his possession trait things will be very hilarious) But the point is, this event stuff? Brilliant! You don’t find a much better way to introduce to you troops you didn’t even know! I for one didn’t know the team synergy you can find with troops from the same kingdom. My point is, although there’s a lot a talk about what the event system and how it’s screwing people over, it’s only going to screw you over if you let it. BD being a pain? Maw the hell out of him, hell he’s the best counter to anything that’s depending on a one kill condition. Valk, Justice, Mab irritating you? Let Mab enjoy the digestive juices of Maw! The point is what you do and how you let it effect it. And to those bitching about Khorvash, please go cry somewhere else. He’s dead as a doorknob. Maybe a team with Honor and Gard, but still, he sucks ridiculously hard. I know this as it’s MoS week and I thrash him on a regular basis.

1 Like

A major point I may have missed. Khetar will and never get a bouns like that ridiculously hilarious comment. To you seriously, read the bleeping lore. Khetar is an undead kingdom. And even if BD has a ridiculously high boost, He’s in the end bone fodder for Maw or anything that’s clever enough to beat it.

If you want to talk numbers then let’s be honest.

It’s not 50 in 300 matches, it’s 250 in 300 matches.

People aren’t complaining about repetition that isn’t happening.

1 Like