GW First week feedback

TLDR, did the Devs say anything definitive about how many teams move between brackets each week and how this will be determined?

1 Like

Ok with that idea - was more trying to ensure team building continues.

Agree with Draprion - no reason why on the schedule page it can’t show for all 6 days, how many battles have been fought on both sides.

1 Like

Don’t you love those counter points? :unamused: As if that were point in the discussion.

My favorite :no_mouth: crack “It is just week 1”…

1 Like

Here’s my take on it:

1. Offensively, you MUST use troops of the appropriate color in order to get full score (8820, when your statues give you an 80% bonus, for example.)

2. Defensively- there’s no skin in the game. You want to put forth the toughest defense team that you have. So, defensively, we’re seeing the same PvP meta (Wraith - Courage - Bone Dragon - Famine, anyone?), and hamstringing the players trying to build offensively. I’ve also seen this week a double-Famine/Death combination- on Green day- which means either I pull out my Gard’s team (which has only 2 Green troops, and hoses me on points), or I lose the match outright.

In addition- should you lose ANY match going in to the above team, you’re instantly disqualified from the final, 750-base point match. That 8820 becomes 4410, hurting your guild. It also hurts your chance of being #1 in the Guild Wars rankings. (As we have yet to receive any rewards from a completed GW event, and the GW Rewards board has a 1, 2, 3, 4-6, 7-9, etc., just like the PvP leaderboards do, I’m assuming that you’ve instantly disqualified yourself into oblivion.) Mind you- I’ve gone 23-2 this week within Guild Wars. I do not expect to be within the top 100 as a result, which means I’m probably only going to get 9 to 12 Myzmers.

As such- this has a much higher risk/reward ratio than PvP. If you have a bad match there, you shake it off and move on. Prior to this week, I was winning at a 95%+ ratio in PvP, and I was able to complete 20 to 25 matches per hour.

Within Guild Wars, in order to get the full color bonus, your team is gimped- and I find myself taking an hour to get the five matches done, because I’m sitting there and trying to shake off the “omg omg I almost lost ONE troop because I didn’t scan all 64 gems on the board, and they almost got me.”

In addition, the time you take to test the troops you’re about to go into battle with the next day cuts down on the enjoyment factor, and brings about much more of a “work” feel.

Now, our statues give us a 80% bonus. My 23-2 will be a better score than someone who has a 60% statue bonus (for example), even if they went 25-0. So, this is also less about how you did in Guild Wars, and more about what Guild you’re currently in. Anonymous has 11 members who have gone 25-0 so far this week; there’s the top 10 plus as far as rewards. I will assume the same for the top 10 guilds- that Intrim, Match Masters, Vn4ever, Marthos Guardians, etc. al., also will have people with perfect records and full statue bonuses.

I’m not about to say “Guild Wars is Broken”. I’m saying that there’s probably things that the developers did not think thoroughly through, give-and-take, when generating this new sub-genre within the game.

– Tranimo

4 Likes

This is a very cool idea!!! I would love to see something like this. I putting out the call:
Deck builders Unite! :wink:

1 Like

No hard numbers yet.
Note: Bold emphasis is mine.

So I think in theory you could get even a whole bracket moving if the bracket above them didn’t do much in the ways of GW and all scored lower than the bracket below them. The suggestion SEEMS to be that the score is the determinant.

2 Likes

This user gets it. This is exactly how I feel.

+100000000000000000 points to you

2 Likes

Just to point out, the fact that members can’t join GWs if they join on the Monday is currently a bug, and should be fixed by next week. So you should be able to do kicking and recruiting on Mondays.

1 Like

@Mgla what guild are you in?

1 Like

That still can be a hard task to accomplish. We’re a top 20 guild and it still probably takes us an average of 36-72 hours mininum to fill a spot when one opens up. Sometimes it can take drastically less, other times drastically more. Since there’s no ingame recruitment tool, it just depends what free agents that fit our criteria happen to visit the forums and respond to our post. For those lower level guilds who still have requirements, I’d imagine it can sometimes take a week or so to find a good replacement.

I’m not sure what the solution is as the Devs have to lock GW before it starts to counteract the shenanigans that could otherwise be pulled but it’s definitely not a great system currently.

3 Likes

my feedback:
positive:

• so far my guild and i are winning almost every fight - which makes me proud a bit
  • i enjoy the fights and team building - which gives me fun

neutral:

• i get stressed and loose really a lot of time in team building but im ok with that as well
  • the weight how much points a loss is in comparison to a win is horrible, but i think if the color bonuses were more fair then that loss weight wouldnt be so terrible so i dont mind it as much

negative:

• the color bonus scaling angers me (think its unfair) and worries me for my guild ability in points earning
  • the reward table disappoints , frustrates and annoys me (think its even more unfair)
  • i want the majority of gow playerbase to be happy and motivated for guild wars but seeing the color bonuses and reward table i can see the majorty of gow can only be unhappy and not motivated - which saddens and annoys me

overall summary: disappointed (for now), but gonna keep playing gow, i know devs will do some changes and so i hope for the better, one thing that im sad about is the reward table and that im doubting devs change (which is the part that makes me sad the most) but its not too big deal to make me quit the game, ill just keep playing like i used to as its a semi-casual game to me (i know ill figre the teams out and so it wont ask so much tme anymore soon)

it shouldnt, i mean not at this scale,

how many months old guild you think it should be to be full combat capacity for guild war?
i think the month-requirement is a bit too much stretched, the guilds are long time not considered “new” yet most of them are not even half-capacity for the guild war

if it was balanced that lets say a 3-5 months old guild that does all colors was maxed on color bonus i think that would be fine, but you know its far away from that

sadly i disagree, guild war should be weekly feature cause:

• it costed a lot of money/time to make, and so now it needs to waork for its cost
  • the feature has huge potential to be fun and positive for players, the stress needs to be reduced by numbers tweaking or changes in the way gw works, not in the way of how often gw runs
4 Likes

Only real way to get insight is if guilds just didn’t do the 30 battles in a week if that happened GW would be gone so all guilds got 0 for each GW ranking really is no incentive if you gained guardian levels than seals, coin, Troop card offer stuff like true mythic troops or gain levels in kingdoms but for now no real incentive to keep doing GW at this time​:sweat::sweat::sob::sob::sleepy::sleepy::face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

Even though I am currently undefeated, I am not enjoying Guild Wars.
Positives: Nice working with other guildies on teams, helping out newer players.
Negatives: Within the next week or two, every match will be some variation on Death Knight/Death Curse, Kerberos, Forest Guardian, Kerberos. I already had 2/5 today that were this gimmick/broken team.

I forsee new guilds popping up with opted out of Guild Wars as a requirement…I don’t see the fun of it, the value of it, or the need for it.

I used to play Dungeon Keeper for iOS, they added Guild Wars and it ruined the game. I no longer play Dungeon Keeper on iOS.

9 Likes

Just some of my thoughts:

As others have said GW is a step in the right direction, sure it could still use a bit of tweaking, but it’s a positive step regardless.

I agree with the call that defense teams needing a reason to be creative (whether it’s colour bonuses or something else), otherwise we’ll just see Devours and Death Marks abound to try and get a lucky troop kill or two.

However, I don’t understand the idea of “opting out” of Guild Wars. People seem to be of the opinion that if you do guild wars you MUST use a full colour team. And this isn’t the case. Yes, you don’t get as many points, but unless you’re in the top of the top, this probably won’t matter.

This is also what my guild does, we haven’t specified people need to use an all colour team, and a number of people haven’t, on top of that we have a few people who haven’t done their battles at all yet this week (or only the first day or so), and we’re still second on our bracket leaderboard by a decent margin. (yes it’s early days with seeding and all that, but still, it illustrates the point)

The full colour requirement is only necessary if you assume other guilds are doing the same. What will likely happen in practice is that some people will try for full colour teams for the added challenge, some might throw one or two coloured troops to shake things up a bit or try to help the guild, and others will just play GW as if it was a normal ranked PVP.

And this is where I don’t get the “opt out” part… If you decide to not follow the colour team bonus, GW becomes just like normal Ranked PVP. You get trophies, you get PVP rank points, you get increased gold income, you get glory, you can complete PVP related events, and you get the 9 seals. Yes you are in theory “letting down your guild” but only if your guild is trying to maximize their score.

I think what we’ll end up seeing is some guilds requiring the colour bonus, and these will bubble up to the top brackets, and other guilds will not, and will do as mine and @Whiskeyjack’s guilds do; talk and strategise, but at the end of the day, it’s more about the member doing what they find fun.

4 Likes

What is the bracket level breakdown exactly how is that worked out does anyone know the bracket system

1 Like

All we know is this:

2 Likes

Overall I’m thoroughly enjoying it. My main thoughts/feedback:

1. Definitely keep it weekly. It’s fun, plus I think by having it weekly it will actually become less stressful over time as people get comfortable with the ups and downs and inability to always be perfect.
  2. We clearly need more troops that have uses like cleansing, summoning, generating mana, etc. There are some big gaps in utility troops for some colors. Please focus on releasing useful troops for the next few months and not “unique” or “cute” troops.
  3. There really needs to be a way to incentivize diverse defense teams. Players should not be using the same defense all the time. Maybe a weekly ban list where certain troops can’t be used on defense some weeks?

Edit: I just realized that there are a ton of active recruitment threads today. I take that as a great sign. Seems like GW really re-ignited engagement.

3 Likes

@Vangor - doesn’t matter. If you’re not in the top 5 guilds, you’re an afterthought to the developers.

@Ozball - of course you don’t HAVE to use a full color team… you can always hold your guild back because of an arbitrary decision… because that is FUN. Not that your final place matters… you’re will get the sme stuff as everyone else. That’s also FUN.

but anyway… I need to got trait my hero for Death Curse, set it for defense and never use it for anything ever again. That’s FUN.

1 Like

Looking forward to another easy to beat defense. :+1:

1 Like

it doesn’t matter whether you actually win or lose. You’re not in the top five. Defense is only for griefing and rng exploitation.

3 Likes