Guild Wars - Sneak Peek VI

How about they start with the people that openly, in the forums, admitted they’re doing it?

This isn’t rocket surgery.

I’ve only seen one person that may or may not have admitted it based on what was said. How many have you seen?

There’s no way this is a huge issue. I made it to 8th on the leaderboards without cheating in any type of way. So how big of an issue is it?

Now the week before last there were definitely some unsavory types, but the Devs I believed cleared them out.

I’m not saying that I don’t believe that it happens, but I am saying it can’t be happening in large volume. Those rewards are cheeks, what do you have to gain by doing such?

1 Like

I don’t know @lyya, you disappear for ages and then show up here talking sense… don’t you know this is a paranoid acrimony thread…

GW on the whole, based only on a few narrative previews, seem likely to be a good thing. By definition of the 5 a day mechanic, it won’t favour account-sharers or no-lifers that can top the pvp board. Any organised guild of 30 players should have a good chance of winning. Remains to be seen how varied or irksome the matchmaking is.

These sentinels bonuses seem pointless and unimaginative, yes, but devs rightfully need to make sure there’s some way all this investment time can monetise.

Concerns:

• defence teams: how are these set? Is it just the pvp defence team of the player concerned? I hope not…
  • points scoring: pvp visibly favours lower level players offering more points for the same battle than high level players would get. Will this be the same? Again, hope not… hardly seems fair when teams can only play the same number of matches max

Pinging @sirrian :slight_smile: sorry if these concerns were answered in earlier previews or I’ve forgotten something

3 Likes

The more game modes they introduce that use the same flawed “volume” model, the more there is to gain.

That’s the whole point of bringing it up - they’re holding up the PVP ranking standard as something that should be replicated in Guild Wars. That worries some people and rightfully so.

There’s nothing wrong with questioning the rationale of decisions. A good many things in this game were altered, before release even, based on user feedback.

Squelching dissension serves no purpose whatsoever. Thankfully the Devs haven’t even insinuated that they’re interested in doing so, despite some here that apparently aren’t grown up enough to handle it.

1 Like

Nah I agree we need to look at all things that could go wrong. There are a lot of flaws and holes in pvp already. Gems could be something worth exploiting for to some.

1 Like

Sirrian said that is handled in the schedule tab.

Which is why it’s worth discussing.

Fanboy… and yet it wasn’t me who posted… [quote=“htismaqe, post:141, topic:21506”]
It’s definitely NOT Puzzle Quest or Warlords, and as a lifelong Steve Fawkner fan, that’s disheartening.
[/quote]

…trying to make your complain more valid.

I believe i got over myself everytime i don’t complain about real or perceived issues in every chance i get, unlike others, and try to discuss the matter at hand on each thread. I didn’t failed to address properly @ogunther’s idea about scaling the costs for gems and other resources as i see it like a fair and reasonable suggestion.

I’m over myself when the developers don’t follows exactly what i want, when i want and just because i want because i can honestly think about the consequences and costs of some ideas. Do you want to prevent people from sharing accounts for PVP, well the only way to do it i can honestly imagine is as i said: Facial Recognition during the battles, other than that you might as well suck it up because it’s not happening or you can try to complain less and think harder.

Ivar old friend you must be pretty happy with GW as a whole eh? :slight_smile:

You wanted to true competition, and I believe it has arrived.

1 Like

Hey guys I understand that this type of thing stirs up a lot of emotions on both sides (something I’m definitely not immune to) but can we stop with the personal attacks. Not only is that not cool but it’s counterproductive no matter which side of this argument you fall on. It’s also a huge waste of developer time if Sirrian or the other Devs have to wade through all this back and forth bickering to get to the legitimate arguments and counter-arguments.

Can’t we all just get along (and have honest discourse)? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Every time people express concerns about something you show up to complain about it.

You don’t even demonstrate basic understanding of what’s going on, otherwise you wouldn’t characterize these discussions as “entitlement” or people “complaining every chance they get”. Neither of those things are even remotely true yet you keep saying it.

So yeah, get over yourself. It’s a discussion forum. If you can’t handle the discussion, don’t respond. You’re the one fueling this.

I wish Aku had a smile that reminds us of Harold…Maybe we will have a Kun in the future with such…

I’m sorry delicate snowflakes, not everyone can be a winner. So take that issue up with your therapist.

To everyone else, there can be only one! Lol

7 Likes

:laughing: Oh UKresistance you crack me up, it’s a good thing you are never meant to be taken seriously.

The problem is there’s only 20-50 guilds that can even compete at the top level. They’re targeting the wrong audience. It’s a bit like being at a party and all your friends are passed out, then your proceed to walk over to the table and play bingo by yourself. You may win, but does it mean all that much?

Boom! In your face losers! You snooze you lose.

So “snowflake” if that’s all you’re interested in, it means nothing.

I can only imagine this game can get incredibly boring to the top 5 guilds. It’s the same guilds over and over, and there’s no real competition for them other than each other.

Same thing with the PVP leaderboard, it’s the same people every week. Oh you made it to the top again?! Surprise, here’s some rewards.

That’s why it is absolutely pivotal that guilds be matched up to as close to their own level of activity as possible. They have no business being compared to the highest tiered guilds, and as such getting no rewards for it. (or on the same level as)

6 Likes

I can accept that it needs some tweaks to make the whole experience a little more inclusive, i can’t accept “Blargh… F$ck this, lolz such noobs devz! Buff Dokkalfar!!!” crap as much as i was able before… I’'m probably getting old and even more grumpy.

I feel a competition is due where it should be, what is the point to call it a Guild’s War if it will be some dumb clone of “Hugging fest PVP” where everyone want to get everything everytime?

Maybe that’s because i don’t agree with everyone on everything and as of late if you were at least a little over yourself, as you want me to be, you wouldn’t bring this issue with PVP leaderboard on every thread that a developer posts.

Judging your posts and the posts of others following my own criteria is what we all do. The thing is that you really are entitled to make your complains, but you are not entitled to get “likes” and reassuring of everyone just because you want…

Now, in the meantime can you really think of any other way to prevent the “account sharing” issues that you are so concerned about. As it seems like a big issue i’m inclined to believe that you have come up with a solution…

Whoa, we have something in common. :smiley:

I bring it up because it’s a real concern, whether you want to accept that or not. And as is quite obvious in this thread, I’m not even remotely the only one concerned about it. So it’s not something I’m just making it up.

Judging posts is one thing, judging underlying motivations requires assumptions however. I’m simply informing you that your assumptions about my motivations are wrong and you continue to demonstrate that by saying things like this. I don’t track my “likes” and I could care less who agrees with me or not.

[quote=“Ivar, post:178, topic:21506, full:true”]Now, in the meantime can you really think of any other way to prevent the “account sharing” issues that you are so concerned about. As it seems like a big issue i’m inclined to believe that you have come up with a solution…
[/quote]

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

How can they fix something when they haven’t even come out and said it’s a problem? You’re putting the cart before the horse. Again.

1 Like

5 Likes

@Sirrian Nothing wrong with making a nice return to keep this game afloat. Does this mean that you’ll be revising the current list of ways a guild member earns seals? I would think the sooner a player hits the cap, the more likely that player will buy extra seals to get to the next chest. Not exactly motivated to when they stand to earn a flat 5 seals per battle in any mode. It simply takes much longer to finish a match at Warlord IV explore mode. In other words, a player stands to earn a maximum of 300 seals in 60 minutes while farming as usual whereas, depending which random units show up in Explore mode, a player would earn 165 seals in that same amount of time. That player is more inclined to be efficient instead at the expense of your company’s earnings. I never understood why any battle should be at 5 when its best that the default number for it should be around 2 seals; Then add extra seal (i.e., +1; +2; +3; +4; +5) points according to the level of difficulty the player chooses to battle with. Isn’t that in keeping with earning extra souls, gold, and XP?

Albeit, just to stay on topic here, how does this work for smaller guilds which you’ve stated stand to gain by participating in this? How exactly will the matchmaking work (which a few from our community have guessed how it might)? And the one question @ogunther raised dovetails this: Does this rollover apply to other game modes, particularly, PvP? When a guild of whatever size opts in (decides to register), are each of their members added to the PvP pool for the duration of the Guild Wars? Or, is it a stand alone much like Arena is [minus the flashing PvP icon I witness each time I logged in even though I have not PvP anyone]?

I would certainly like to know. The rewards/ cost with this upcoming feature that players are concern about is nothing compare to the fundamentals that make this game work for the best overall. You and your team have done exemplary work as game designers. Its not totally perfect, but it is getting there. :+1:

1 Like

We agree that competition is good, especially for the game. My only caveat is that this does exactly the same that pvp does as far as only inspires top guilds to compete. We should be inspiring all guilds to compete. From the highest to the lowest. The only way I can see this happening is separate brackets. How many more leaderboards do we need in this game to tell semi or casuals guilds that they “suck.” OR rather that this is a horse race and your horse didn’t even leave the stall. It’s a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

I’m not taking anything away from the top guilds, they earned it plain and simple. They also deserve to get the most rewards. But they really need to be in a league of their own. That’s where they will get the competition they seek. I know that this is all fair and people think it promotes competition. It does to an extent, but it does nothing for putting people who value true competition in the same space.

So having brackets all the way down would be the way to go imo.

The only issue that I can see arising, that the type of leader-board they’ve issued fixes, is how do you make sure the top guilds are rewarded more? Maybe some kind of Tier system that you have to qualify for? Those in the highest tier have a chance to get the most rewards? IDK now thinking about it, no wonder they went the pvp leader-board route as far as rewards go. :grinning: But brackets are the better way to get all guilds involved in a true way.

4 Likes

I think you may have missed this reply of mine. :stuck_out_tongue:
Guild Wars - Sneak Peek VI - #90 by ogunther

4 Likes