Guild Wars - Sneak Peek VI

id like you to soften it very much

the current reward table is totally instigating it

not really at least not me,
i do acknowledge that pvp ranking rewards are rather pitiful even at top ranks but my main concern is that it rewards the very small % of community in total. i would like to see more rewards for the lower ranks and maybe adding a few more ranks to the bottom of it so that fighting for pvp ranking would actually start making sense for more ppl
im honestly shocked that all you picked from pvp ranking rewards feedback was that ppl want big rewards for selected few ppl… most of ppl dont want that as a main or only improvement in that area :frowning:

2 Likes

am i right to assume that guild wars in essence is our regular pvp leaderboard, but as a group? not guilds wage wars towards each other?

you are kind of correct, the guild will have their ace defense player but probably guilds wont be even able to choose which guilds they are going to fight with

All you did was give 50 more gems to 21-50 and 20 more gems to 51-100. Is everyone really losing their minds over 20-50 gems that are rewarded to the rank 21-100 guilds? It seems pretty marginal to me. Particularly since everyone seems to assume they’ll be spending 240 gems/week. If everyone is spending 340 gems/week then doing 150 vs 100 or 100 vs 80 doesn’t seem that big of a deal.

This also seems to run out of steam very quickly. You’re down to 0 gems in 2 more brackets… I’m pretty sure there are more than 25 guilds in the game. This just doesn’t scale.

20-50 gems may seem insignificant but when you factor in human nature, it won’t be. There’s a real, palpable perception of “haves” and “have nots” in this game and stuff like this makes it worse, whether it’s real or imagined.

I don’t think people will be any more or less upset if they’re getting 80 vs 100 gems. That doesn’t fundamentally alter the reward structure.

allright point taken,

but please understand my point of wiev that there was no clear statement about gems weight between high and low ranks of each bracket suggesting that the weight could be totally wrong and that the whole idea doesnt base on putting precisely this kind of weight in it

if devs accepted the general idea offered by you - cosidering their original table weight - they could as well just leave it still the same way unbalanced (too much for seledcted few and too little for the rest) and then your idea would actually hurt the community instead of helping

an that is/was the main concern for me

since you cleared that missunderstanding now, im lookign at your idea with a new light that looks much better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depends on how many the people above them are getting.

its not marginal for those 80 guilds (gems piling every week)
with that small change the rank 21-50 will be much more attractive to fight for, as well as the 51-100 rank. hopefully enough attractive to actually give mroe satisfaction then frustration from the competition around it

i really wanted to give more to the lower ranks too but i ran out of gems (assuming devs dont want to give any more gems in total then the original table)

i cant help in fixing the “fundamental” part of reward structure unless devs decide to give out more gems
i tried to do the best with what they offered

i know

@Devs

3 Likes

Re-read:

Also re-read this:

I think the “leagues” idea is much stronger than the “brackets” idea everyone has fixated on. With brackets you either run out of rewards too quickly, or you have to do a weird system where there are multiple bracket with the same rewards. That problem with the latter system is that it would mean a weaker guild in a lower bracket could rank highly in that lower bracket and actually get better rewards than a stronger guild in a higher bracket. They’d then be encouraging people to do poorly in order to get the best rewards, which is clearly a bad idea.

I also assume Leagues is a lot more work. Presumably they’re taking the code from Ranked PvP and reusing it to save a lot of time and effort.

So… I found this fascinating… because I have to agree with @Annaerith on this one. The majority of the “complaints” I’ve seen about PvP rewards were that they were a pittance compared to the time required to even be competitive. You can find above where, I think @HKdirewolf played over 28 hours and barely made top 100. Ridiculous. So yes, for 30+ hours of gameplay THOSE rewards should be scaled up, or be EPIC, to use @Sirrian’s words.

HOWEVER, what more people have said (from my experience here on forums) is that they wished that the rewards AS IS, were just enlarged to allow more players to sit at the table. And that is was is being completely missed here in GW! Once again you create a new feature that rewards only 30 players (1 guild) out of a player base of 30k? (I wont pretend to know how many active players there are.)

And while the gems thing is an issue… I think we’ve forgotten something VERY important. The real “diamond” is the unique GW troop offered. Everybody failed to notice that the top spot is awarded 100 copies!

Which means that, ASSUMING GW Points will mirror PVP closely enough that the GW leaderboard will resemble the current Guild Rankings Leaderboard, Guild A, who is always on top of said Leaderboard will take first place 2 weeks in a row, securing 200 copies of said troop and immediately having it Mythic. In that same time, my guild which will fight its hardest and probably, based on current leaderboards, place in the 15-30 range, will secure only 40-48 copies of the same card.

I think the real issue is the DISPARITY of distribution between Rank 1 and Rank 50, which when you look back and realize there are literally 100s of Guilds behind that just makes you hear that, 8-bit sad music “WAH WAH WAH”. And none of us VOCAL, GoW supporters want to see the devs work this hard on a feature that is going to hit the game as a disappointment to the vast majority of the SILENT player base.

I think its safe to say that most of the people “complaining” stand to do fairly well within the given structure, assuming we understand it correctly, our concern truly is for the good of the game.

Lastly, but not least, the people that want or need the EPIC rewards @Sirrian are not the people getting them under the current design, based on our expectation of how the leaderboard will play out. You should be making mid level guilds feel like they have a shot at EPIC rewards as well. And 400 gems to them is epic, 1500 is a windfall, for sure, but to people that are sitting on 6k+ gems… The EPIC is lost before it begins.

Sorry for the wall of text, but its all from a place of love and passion for GoW!! :heart:

tl;dr- Rewards need to feel EPIC for everybody to fully engage, or entice, the ENTIRE player base into participating in GW. :wink:

12 Likes

This. Which may mean largely ignoring a lot of the speculation and grumbles in this thread… which come from a disproportionately active and engaged minority… Except my views, as I am clearly right. Obviously.

4 Likes

With PVP, the problem is that there are “accounts” in this game that are playing 24 hours A DAY.

If they scale the rewards so that legit players get rewarded for their time, the people that are exploiting the system will blow the entire economy out of whack.

At this point I’m ready to say that there’s simply no way to fix any of it effectively.

The real solution to the PVP problem is to gate playing time like other F2P games do. Unfortunately, the lack of a daily energy mechanic is one of the things that made GoW unlike so many other F2P games out there.

Why do you keep going back to PvP? This is a discussion about Guild Wars where this is a hard limit on how many battles you can do. It’s irrelevant. (You’re right though. An energy mechanic is the only way to fix the problem and players have been very clear that they dislike energy mechanics.)

1 Like

So what does that look like in practice? Can you take the payouts @Sirrian proposed and modify them so they feel EPIC for everyone without giving away the farm? Is that literally minor adjustments to a couple of tiers per @Annaerith’s payouts?

Because that seems to be the problem everybody is fixated on.

Furthermore, I can’t find the best way to articulate it but I don’t think it’s completely irrelevant. The people/guilds at the top of the current PVP ladder have MUCH more resources than the average player, meaning they have the ability to create teams and combinations not everybody else can.

Their PVP status gives them an inherent advantage in every other game mode, including GW. But until we see it in action, I can only say that’s my opinion.

Excellent summary of why the continuous comparitie of GW to PVP is nonsense. :smiley:

PVP is completely unrelated to GW so can we please move on from this endless rehashing of incorrect assumptions ?

1 Like

@Nimhain
Let’s prioritize consoles getting the guild war patch as beta. Console players are happy with the current plan, and mobile/PC players will have to see how fun it is before their complaints/suggestions stop.

3 Likes