Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

Now this I could go for.

I apologize. Let me actually explain it.

We already have a few dozen threads here of people complaining about being “robbed” by the AI because of “magic” cascades, weird match counting, and other purported AI “cheating”.

You’re going to take the ONLY game mode where wins and losses actually matter and introduce a mechanic like that?

You’re all but ensuring that 90% of the player base will HATE Guild Wars and feel like they’re being cheated.

@htismaqe I am taking from context that you are an endgamer in regards to the ability to focus primarily on PvP, ROI and speed farming to increase resources to get those last few cards that are missing from your collection.

Genuine question: Don’t you miss the danger from the early game? Even a little?

1 Like

I don’t even remember the early game to be honest.

I know I miss the days when matches weren’t full boards of skulls, mana drain, and endless Death Marks but those days aren’t ever coming back. People are addicted to the power of it all.

1 Like

So I can’t speak about what other guilds are or aren’t going to do for Guild Wars but I can speak about my guild. First, a little background:

• We’re a top 30 guild (top 20 when it comes to trophies per week) but consider ourselves either semi-hardcore or semi-casual (whichever floats your boat)
  • About 2/3 of our players produce enough reqs each week that they could easily be in one of the top, hardcore guilds
  • About 2/3 of our players are either active to very active on our Discord server (meaning they stop in from once a week to multiple times a day)
  • I’m the Guild Leader (in duties, if not in title, my wife is the actual Guild Leader) but we have about 6-7 other very active members who help run different parts of the guild, from recruiting to translating/interpreting to creating teams and tactics to share with the rest of the guild, etc.
  • We have very low turnover and almost zero issues with “poaching” from higher guilds

As such, I feel our guild is probably rare but hardly unique as I suspect that most of the top active guilds do most of the above as well and as such, while I take great pride in our guild, I suspect we are more the norm than the outlier.

With that said, our guild is already working hard at creating multiple teams specifically for GW, testing said teams and working out additional possible scenarios/teams we might need even though we only have the sparsest of info to go on. Maybe everyone is doing this, too; maybe no one is but I just want to point out that the devs can only do so much to encourage players and guilds to engage with the game. As a smaller developer, they can’t focus on multiple large projects at once so they have to choose their battles and hope that their players come along for the ride. If you’re expecting the devs to create the “perfect” system for everyone, you’re going to be disappointed; but if you meet the devs half way, there’s a lot here to get excited for and a lot to sink your teeth into…but you have to do your part, too. :slight_smile:

Seriously, I would love for someone to explain to me how having 5 battles a day versus 30 battles in a week adds danger, excitement or challenge to the game. I don’t see it.

Anywho, I hope the devs will add an actual challenge to the GW matches themselves. That’s the only thing that would add some excitement.

5 Likes

And that is very sad. :cry:

But I feel that way too. The power curve and end game ROI grind is so crazy that it can be overwhelming and has led me to thoughts of burnout on more than one occasion.

But its this forum and my guild that keeps me coming back. And this new game mode seems like a way to take the thing I love most about GoW, now, the social element, and tie a gratification to battles that directly effect my GUILDS place and rewards.

Which is why, however it gets implemented, I want it to be the BEST it can be! :wink:

3 Likes

Because you can track your progress throughout the week if it’s daily. If you have 30 battles a week then you have no idea how anyone is doing until its over. You just do your battles and get whatever rewards are given to. If you see the progress everyone is making throughout the week as the rankings move up and down each day, then there’s a sense of competition. The 6th day becomes interesting as guilds sweat over whether they’re going to be the top, or fall out of a ranking category and get better/worse rewards.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I think some players want a true 1v1 Guild Wars where they can brag about kicking a specific guild’s but however, with the exception of the truly hardcore guilds, most guilds are very under-represented here on the forums so I’m not sure exactly how they think they’re going to do any trash talking when they won’t actually be able to talk to the guild they just beat so, to me, it’s kind of a moot point. But that’s just my opinion. :slight_smile:

Yet again, this is all speculation. But, Sirrian’s other post said specifically that you will see who made the most wins on a given day. Therefore, if someone wants to brag about beating Guild X on Tuesday, they can have at it. The guild that wins the “war” at the end of the week gets the most rewards and the actual win of course.

1 Like

This is your assumption. We don’t have the details from Sirrian yet as to how that part of the system will work; whether we’ll be able to see the points as battles progress over the week; if it will show how many players a guild still has that haven’t attacked, etc. Let’s wait to bring out these pitchforks until after the devs actually reveal what they have in mind. :slight_smile:

Thousands could try and still not be able to hit the right buttons… We can all make conjectures, speak of personal experiences and theories about the “whats” and “whys” of it.
As much as people despises the idea, having an schedule of five battles a day promotes some compromise, if there are rewards attached then higher are the stakes and therefore more to be concerned about.

As i said some people despise the concept, but would it be really hard to assume that some could like it? Pushing some limits, making some sacrifices to be better at something you are already passionate is really so alien as an idea?

I’m not even advocating to revert Guild’s War to the propposed/original system, i’m sure that everyone who were in favor of the original concept can still reach what they desire in the system and the people that advocated for the change had it their way in the hope that everything will be just fine.

Personally i just fear something else that may be bound to happen in due time…

So, I can only speak from a personal standpoint, but… I used to play everyday. Now, I don’t. Not because I don’t enjoy the game, I do, but its just grinding for grindings sake, I knockout TIER 1 generally on Monday, sometimes takes me longer now, and then the rest of the week, I just casually play PvP to get my guild reqs and earn trophies. I don’t bother with farming stones, because I don’t have the time, since my guild reqs take me longer due to my slacked play. And frankly, since I KNOW I’m gonna be in this for the long haul, I am just stockpiling Glory and waiting for the stones I need to show up in the Glory Shop. What the Daily battles offered me was this:

And that was exciting… for less than 48 hours… :shrug:

I am still excited about GWs and I will still TRY to do them each day, so the motivator is not GONE, but I no longer have that external motivator driving me which I sometimes require, since I am a life-long procrastinator.

Off Topic: Best T-shirt I ever owned, black t-shirt, white letters

TOP TEN REASONS I PROCRASTINATE:

You would not believe how many people came up to me and said “I don’t get it?” :joy:

4 Likes

Agree. I keep checking back here to see if @Sirrian has given any additional info, but there really hasn’t been a useful post in this thread since his last post. Just pure speculation, and walls of text going into a huge amount of detail with little to no factual basis. I’ll continue to wait for something concrete and official to critique before I start critiquing again…

1 Like

There are two secrets to achieve success:

• 1: Never teach everything you know.
  • 2:
3 Likes

Not at all; there would have been some people who absolutely loved it, I’m sure. My argument against the 5 per day was never “Nobody will like this” it was, at its core: 5 per day will rub a lot of people the wrong way and is that really worth the risk compared to a system that most people would enjoy? A system that would alienate a lot less people and let more people play in whatever frequency they enjoyed within a given week? It would appear that the Devs gave it a lot of thought and came to the same conclusion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HA! You just taught me one of the things you know! I’m now much closer to learning everything you know than I was just a minute ago! MuHAHAHAHAHAha!

3 Likes

Well, to put it bluntly, it sounds like you’ve fallen a bit out of love with GoW and you are looking for some way to force you to love it again. I would suggest that GoW trying to force you to love it again (through required daily battles) would only end up pushing you further away and quicker. At least that’s what would happen to most people in that situation. It’s is almost always better to entice players with a carrot rather than a stick. :slight_smile:

Since i dont know what are we getting here, i will say this:

In which game you ever played, does guild wars mean casual stuff? In which game you played does a guild that started a month ago beats 2 years old guild in top 50? In which game guild wars dont award stronger guilds more?

Why would be a problem to see that here???

1 Like

This would be awesome. However, having 5 battles a day versus 30 a week doesn’t make anyone “better” at anything. It doesn’t push you to a better skill level. It literally just means you have a better schedule. I work freelance, so I can blow through a few games whenever I like. It wouldn’t push my limits to do what I already do.

If people want to push their limits and get a better skill set, they’ll need to advocate for a smarter AI or more challenging game modes that don’t let you easily faceroll any team.

2 Likes