Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

I find it very hard to believe that there are 16000 players whom have played that many games this week, when if I do PvP, I find the same 15-20 people over and over.

I would think the random portion of this would be more diverse.

You want a screen shot? xD

I see those numbers as well Don, and not against you. I just feel that some of this is make believe.

I think PvP would be more random with opponents if there was truly this many active players.

2 Likes

There are, in fact, that many players. The problem is the matchmaking algorithm is wonky, and keeps pairing people up with the same opponents over and over. A lot of weight, and I mean a LOT, is placed on the revenge factor, so once you’re connected with and beat a player who then beats you, the ball keeps getting handed back and forth.

On topic: After skimming through an insane wall of totally irrelevant text, a key question remains unanswered. If the offensive player gets a day-specific color bonus, I expect the defensive player does as well. Since I only have one defend team slot, am I expected to change it every single day? And do I have to defend normal PvP with a team built for a Guild Wars defend instead? This system seems to hand a huge advantage to Euro-Asian players who aren’t asleep in bed when the server’s calendar date ticks over.

9 Likes

There are over a thousand guilds in game. There were over 4k 2 years ago. At least 500 guild have 30 members. Thats 15k players. At least 500 more have more then 20, thats at least 10k more.

Thats a good question, and id like to see how is that handled.

1 Like

I would love to see an answer to this question as well.

5 Likes

Ive read again about ticket system, and i stand corrected about it. It is a superior system compared to 5 battles a day.
At first i thought a player could use 10 tickets in a single fight, but didnt realize he would use 5 to fight in yesterdays war, and 5 more to fight in todays war.

2 Likes

I’m seeing a bit of a divide in the prevailing sentiment that I’m not sure how to overcome. The system needs to: (a) Allow players to have some flexibility in terms of when they play and (b) Allow teammates to “save the day” if their other members don’t step up. However, it also needs to: (c) Give all members an opportunity to attack so their attacks don’t get “stolen” and (d) Prevent players from trying to game the system by “rushing” at the end of the week.

I’m just not sure how to reconcile these. I’m honestly not even sure they should (e.g., it’s a Guild War so I think it’s perfectly reasonable for the guild to not do as well if not everyone participates). The main issue I can see is with the “daily play” requirement and its effect on console players who are physically less able to play every day (and presumably have different play patterns from mobile players as a result).

3 Likes

Agreed. It almost seems like we need a whole other set of Attack & Defense teams we can lock in at the start of the week specifically for Guild Wars. Otherwise it seems like it will be a huge pain to manage.

3 Likes

I’m reposting something I posted in another forum because I realized there is a lot of confusion regarding @Sirrian’s alternative GW battle system. I’m fairly certain I am interpreting what he wrote correctly (but if not, hopefully, Sirrian shows up to correct me).

I guess maybe this is where the confusion is coming from. Let me try to explain (my interpretation) of Sirrian’s alternative solution:

• Day 1 of GW: You get 5 tickets
  • Day 2 of GW: You get another 5 tickets. However any of the first 5 (from Day 1) that you didn’t use, get’s added to this additional 5 tickets. So if you didn’t use any, you now have 10 tickets (5 of which you can still use against your guild opponent from Day 1 and 5 of which you can use against your guild opponent from day 2).
  • Day 3 of GW: You get another 5 tickets. Any of the original 5 tickets from day 1 that you haven’t used are lost. You can still use any of the 5 tickets from Day 2 that you have left to fight the guild opponent from day 2. You can use any of the tickets from Day 3 to fight the guild opponent from day 3.

So, in essence, the 5 tickets you get each day can still only be used against the Guild Opponent you get matched against on the same day, it’s just you get an additional 24 hours to use them.

Hopefully, that clears thing up a bit and I haven’t made things more confusing. :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh and just to be clear, i still like 5 battles a day system, but i agree that 10 ticket system is superior and like it more.

1 Like

And if you’re a highly active player in a borderline active guild, you’ll be forced to leave your guild or be punished for being loyal and respecting others.

Sounds like a GREAT idea.

Regarding the ‘5 attacks per day’, which has dominated the discussion on this thread, when I read this initially from you @Sirrian , I interpreted it to mean that each member can only be attacked 5 times by rival guild on that designated day—not the other way around as I have read from so many posters. Because if the 5 attack regulation is a 5 invasion per day, then I can see how one member tells his guild, “Hey Guys, so-and-so in that guild has one peasant for defense. Attack so-and-so for an easy 5 invade quota!” Thus, the 30-member guild savagely attack the one peasant defense by that rival member. That’s an exploit that I’m sure you don’t want to happen, and they will happen, resulting in that player to most likely drop out or even quit the game.

Whereas, if the regulation is a 5-defense attack limit for each member, then the guy with his one peasant defense will be attacked only 5 times that day period by that guild. There would be 29 more [in a guild of 30] to go for that day whose own particular defenses vary. That would be good since its not a given the invader will outright win all the time. I’m also wondering if the color bonus for the day applies to both guilds and not just the invading team. Seems like it does and its really up to each guild member to make the most of it or not. Furthermore, if its a 5-defense attack daily limit per member, then its not required that said member must attack 5 times to contribute for the good of their respective guild. Other guildmates can do it like they always have in PvP because they have the time for it. The cap is 150 (30*5) when invading a 30-man guild for that day. Doesn’t matter if one guy does it or half the guild, as long as they hit each of those enemy guild members 5 times for that day.

That’s how I understood it to mean. Guild Wars has opened and locked-in the PvP pool for the entire week. I think that’s a good thing to no longer run into the same players repeatedly. And on top of it, different metas for defense will be available. Sounds rather refreshing. Quite likely to make some players who want nothing to do with PvP to still leave the guild and join one that won’t register. To be expected. However, it might cause such players to participate. Only time will tell. In the end, its up to the player to keep his one peasant troop or not. That’s on him. How this Guild Wars system will actually work is still on you, @Sirrian .

The problem is that this is a single player game. Despite the fact that we have “PVP” it’s not truly player versus player.

There will invariably be people in the “active, end-game” category that are faced with the decision of leaving their guild or not.

We should all be rewarded for the amount of time and effort we put in. Rewarding people disproportionately because they’re fortunate enough to be in a group with 29 other hardcore players only breeds contempt in the player base.

And I’m not suggesting that the active guilds should be limited or the less active guilds should get just as much.

There just can’t be a huge gap, so much so that people feel like they’re actually getting nothing (see also: Mythic discussions of the past few weeks).

At the end of the day, guilds are supposed to be a SHARED experience of teamwork and camardarie, not a group of single players that interact just enough to make sure they’re making XXX amount of gold and YYY amount of whatever else.

Sirrian has been a game designer for decades. Let’s quell the drama and wait and see. I’d rather have guild wars sooner than later, and sooner means suggested fixes after we had a chance to play.

2 Likes

@DonBoba Why on earth did you like this man’s post? That is not the way any of this works.

Once the system is in place, you can only make tweaks to the version used, you can’t completely change the system. The big changes have to come before, not after.

Which is why they still have some wiggle room, because the system itself is not locked in yet.

So no, now really is the time to share feedback.

12 Likes

No thanks. I’d rather have a Guild War system that works well and doesn’t cause even more acrimony within guilds than necessary. It would be better to get it right now than to rush it. Because of feedback, Sirrian has already stated a possible alternative to some issues raised here.

11 Likes

Want me to be honest? xD i clicked it by acident on my mobile, when i wanted to scroll up. Noticed it afterwards, but for some reason i cant remove any likes xD
Case of clumsy fingers :sweat:

4 Likes

I accept that. :+1: :smile:

I was like, what is Don seeing? This man has no idea what he’s talking about.

2 Likes