Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

I actually agree with @ogunther about the daily thing. It would enforce a specific pattern of play. Obviously top-tier veterans should be able to manage it, but the need to do it that way rankles…

7 Likes

I agree with others, it’s going to be horrible to manage members who can/cannot play everyday, find players that can play everyday, etc…

Guild seals were/are a good example: players that cannot play as much than others can block the whole guild to achieve the Guild Chest highest rank. I’m afraid that it can be a similar situation…

5 Likes

Yeah i’m afraid systems like this are nice in theory, but in reality all they do is favor the most active guilds.

I mean most of us already play this game in ridiculous amounts of time, but REQUIRING that time is something else entirely.

Maybe it will play out better than it seems though once we get the full picture.

Especially since if at least 1 player wins a battle, you still get rewarded.

2 Likes

@Sirrian , will guild leaders be able to see how much each member participated in the guild war? Like details on number of fight, number of victories and number of points?

2 Likes

We’ll cover that in the RESULTS tab, but basically, yes.

5 Likes

Our data says that top players are pretty much in the game playing every day… so for the most part, I think this is following the play patterns of the majority of our playerbase
But as always, I’m very interested in the feedback of the players who might fall through the cracks, so we can improve our systems for everybody.

Why don’t we let you play the games any time? My initial thought is that it allows (almost encourages) the last minute rush, which removes the daily fun of seeing if you won the previous day’s war, before you move onto the next one.

It believe it could even result in a last-day rush meta where the top guilds require everyone to hold off until Sunday in order to surprise their rivals. It’s really hard to think of a scheduling system that doesn’t allow some shenanigans unfortunately… but we’re not locked in yet, so we have wiggle room to try a few things.

12 Likes

Good points… I can totally imagine that happening. And then it’d be a pain for guilds who couldn’t be bothered and so on …

I wouldn’t try to wiggle too hard.

Setting goals of five games per day for Guild Wars hardly seems onerous at all. That takes 15-20 mins tops (if you are slow or have a bad connection) and frankly players that can’t commit to that shouldn’t be in a ‘top’ guild…

9 Likes

Thanks for further clearing things up.

The only observation that I would make, and it’s really only that, is it seems weird in this situation when the Devs want to lock you in to play. Most of us here in this thread currently are top players just from looking, and we’re used to our Guildleaders requiring high amounts of play, but we’re not used to you all taking the stance of that as well. As in the past, I’ve seen at least one Dev say that is not the desire. Yes it was Mr. Strange. :smirk:

So it feels like this is heading in the direction of a more “hardcore” game for all. Til this is the only game people can play or else they risk being kicked or something else. Of course this goes without saying if you accept the challenge, then you’ve asked for it. Throughout my time playing though, the #1 thing I can say I’ve heard is how fun and quick this game can be for people that have limited free time available. It is fun, and it’s the quick and easy type of fun.

It seems to me that there’s an issue here with how to create a fun environment for both the hardcore and the casual players. Also with how many top active guilds there are. This system is perfectly fine when you have a lot of guilds around the same area of play, but currently we don’t have that when it comes to top performance. There’s a lot of casual guilds, and a few highly active guilds compared to the whole picture. I know you all have the data available, so maybe you don’t see it.

That’s all I can really say or share on the situation.

TL;DR It’s okay that we can tell our Guildleaders to piss off when they expect too much out of us, but you don’t want us doing that to you all.

3 Likes

But do your data say that every top guild contains 30 players that play everyday?

I don’t see what “surprise” the other guilds will change as the number of attacks is limited… Just in case, one member will do all his attacks and so, no possible surprise.

1 Like

As always, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, especially in such detail. :slight_smile:

I have no reason to doubt this; I probably play 6 or more days every week and I’m not a top player however, I think limiting how much all players get to play by forcing all players (who want to help their guilds) to play everyday is a mistake. Even casual members of cooperative guilds dislike feeling like they’re letting their guild down and they will feel that way if they are hurting their guild because they can’t log in everyday. I’d much rather risk a Guild surprising us with a last minute rush than feeling like I need to force all my players to play everyday just to ensure our guild stays competitive and that we can keep our members happy and attract new ones.

To me it speaks directly to choice; I don’t want a game dictating to me how I can have fun with it (outside of the core concept of the game). And as a guild leader it’s even less appealing to realize I’d need to force my members to do the same.

I understand that it would be fun to see on a daily basis if you beat the previous days guild but I think that will be overshadowed by the forced management of the whole deal and turn it into an ordeal. It just paints a very dark cloud over what, in every other way, looks to be a great new addition to GoW.

So I think I’ve said my peace now and really hope I’ve helped to convince you to take another look at this aspect but regardless, thanks for listening. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

After reading this, my day (except Monday) would start with a login, followed by playing 5 Guild Wars, followed by anything i like.

3 Likes

You are looking at this from a very narrow perspective. This doesn’t just affect “top guilds” and will have a negative trickle down (or trickle up) affect.

1 Like

As a second in command of a guild I have to second this. Right now we’re still fighting with trying to figure out who is donating wrong compared to our Task plan because there isn’t an activity log and every guild reward says ‘(your name) completed a guild task!’ in the mail so even if they finish a task instead of just miss-donating we don’t know.

A stated goal is fostering communication and interaction, but chat is a joke. So far we’ve managed to keep out of game communication via LINE or the forums or whatnot from being a requirement, but if the in game systems don’t get a big overhaul to go with the new activity requirements that’s just not going to happen.

1 Like

Here’s a sample solution that’s not much extra work, but stops a lot of the rush meta:
Haven’t completely thought it through, so there may be problems.

• Each Day (from day 2 onwards) I receive 5 BATTLE TICKETS
  • Each Battle costs 1 Ticket
  • My Battle Tickets are capped at 10
  • However, if I am more than 2 days behind, my STARTING POINT skips a day

This would allow me to skip a day, then return and pick up the battles the following day.
It would mean that you couldn’t guarantee War #1 was over until Day #3, but wouldn’t allow you to do a big last minute rush.

On the other hand, the UI becomes more complex, and it gets a bit harder to convey what’s going on.
So we’ll think about it some more

8 Likes

This is my biggest gripe, yes. Not a fan of this at all and would like this changed to more than 5 battles per day.

I like the flexibility but it also raises a question. If your yellow team was garbage would you then be able to slam all 10 into a purple team the next day and mess with the balance that way? That meta could develop pretty quickly I think, given the prevalence certain troops and colors seen in the endgame right now.

2 Likes

To me, from both a player and guild leader perspective, this would be a huge improvement. I’m too tired to give all the ramifications much thought (it’s almost 3:30am here so I’m also risking trouble with the wife if I stay up much later lol) but I definitely think this is heading in the right direction.

Thxs for even considering changing it. :thumbsup:

Have a great night/morning/other everyone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You too. Get some sleep - and don’t get killed by Mrs Groot.

1 Like

Another solution to the rush meta: remove the leaderbard/rankings and hide the points so no guild can know how much points the other guilds have.

1 Like