Guild Wars Change Suggestions

The problem is that this is a grinding game mainly for casual players so if you make it so that you lose more often, then you need to make the rewards higher for that extra challenge. At the moment losing more often doesn’t make you want to invest time in GW for the rewards hence why players don’t want to play. It’s a psychological thing and whilst I agree that there is a place for more competitive harder modes in this game as there are obviously players like yourself that want a challenge, the vast majority of the playerbase are casual players who enjoy the grind so as I suggested in another thread, have an optional competitive mode like survival or something similar so the elite can compete to their hearts content

3 Likes

We can’t have ten way ties in every league, thus players have to lose more.

3 Likes

I don’t know if someone has mentioned here, but here’s my thoughts:

1. make GW fair: each guild should fight EVERY other guild in the same bracket, and the final ranking should based on the sum of each day’s NET points(points won by own guild minus points won by opponent guild).
  2. For the defence part I think to give every troop a team cost could be something. Like a mythic costs 5, legendary 4 and so on. Soldier can only build a defence team of max 10 costs and paragon lets say 20.(which also makes paragon more worthy of the 500 basic points) Then for the weekly event troops, those with 25% boosts get +0.5 cost and ones with 50% +1 cost.
3 Likes

Disagree. Most players will find it easier to play on weekends, and so can play their fights of the week. I would even think that Tuesday or Thursday should be the guild-war rest day.

+1. Couldn’t agree more. Cost should be on par with expected rewards.

I could even vote for this to be the general normal rule : no player can put twice the same card in the same team. No double famine but no 4xScale guard or Astral spirit, no double kraken double spider, no 4x krystanax, no double courage, and no legendary/mythic traits applying more than once.

1 Like

I have an idea… Its kinda far out so buckle up and be ready to be amazed! Time to strap on our thinking caps and wrap our heads around this idea…

Ready for it?

Here we go…

everyone always wins automatically!
When you start your GW battle you see a quick animation telling you how special and awesome you are then you are rewarded with a win and some gems (i am thinking about 500) and, what the hell, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

What does everyone think?

12 Likes

Color bonuses for defense, which is independently randomized from Attack color bonuses. So you can get days that are Blue vs. Red, Yellow vs. Yellow, etc.

Count top 25 scores only.

Remove guild statue score multipliers. I don’t see any point on giving bonuses on guilds already at the top. Level the playing field and allow guilds of all levels the potential to climb to the top.

Daily GW rewards that are actually useful. Everybody knows XP in this game is worthless and even a disadvantage. Give the bonus to Gold instead so you actually feel like you won something. Give bonus Trophies while you’re at it (even though Trophies are essentially useless as well), because Trophies are usually awards for winning.

Put a marker on the map that indicates you have pending Guild Wars battles for the day, similar to how Events icon flashes when you have rewards to be collected.

Enable players to select which tier they want to fight, and unlock the next tier as they fight. This way, low level players can opt to fight mostly soldiers, while high level players can move up until they fight the Paragon. This gives a little strategy for the weaker players in order to maximize points, instead of just going 0-5 all the time and eventually giving up entirely.

3 Likes

What an awesomely constructive post.

2 Likes

Peanut Butter & Jelly - I’m all for that, not so sure on the gems though, they won’t taste so good

1 Like

Do change :

• Fighting the war should be meaningful. i.e. the end of week reward shall be based on your score in your bracket and not on whether you are over top 500 of the world.
    (you are giving tons of rewards to players and teams which don’t need them, and would certainly fight only for being top 1 server)

• Sentinels effects should apply to player above you for defense only. In addition it should apply to players below you for invades.

• There should be a way to let a few players be inactive without making your guild completely crap for this war. (its most important I believe for top teams)

• More variety of viable defense and offense troops. There are so many useless troops in the game :frowning: The IA could definitivly be improved a lot.

Not sure :

• I’m not sure I like it to be forced to have a summoner in your team. On one hand, it gives those troops more incentive to be played. On the other end, it greatly restricts the number of offense team you can imagine, and it takes away troops like black beast or sacrifice.

Don’t change :

• The reward for winning a day of war should stay small, so that casual players can still fight when they manage to log in. Today’s behaviour is fine.

• Having bonuses for running pure colors. (while this makes mythics very strong, I still think it forces us to imagine new teams).

• Even continue to apply to offense and defense troops in GW. Helps with changing defense and offense troops every week.

1 Like

It was intended to be only as constructive as (imo) the removal of GW is and everyone’s suggestions on how to make GW easier and “more fair”

1 Like

There are so many good suggestions in here… I’ll just point out the Top Three things I desperately would want changed in Guild Wars, and have commented on before:

1. In general, and especially in GW, I hate constantly fighting the “usual suspects”. I agree with many suggestions here for incentivizing players to switch up defense teams: additional points for using particular troops, colors, types, etc. as well as only allowing a single copy of a particular troop perhaps, or a single copy of a trait. However it’s done, it would be great if we could see more variety in the teams we fight.

2. PLEASE alter how it’s scored. The RNG nature of this game makes it absolutely infuriating when you die in battle number 1 (supposedly the “easiest” one) due to watching the AI cascade itself like crazy and wipe you out while you watch, then to find you’re barred from the paragon fight and your points are destined to completely suck. Psychologically that is a horrible dynamic, even if it “all balances out because every guild suffers from it”. When I lose an early fight, GW just turns into a bitter disappointment to me as a slog through the rest of the fights, knowing I’ve already lost the big numbers, regardless of what I do, and there’s no way to “come back” or salvage the day.

3. I don’t think the whole “statue bonus” thing works at all, really. Perhaps it’s because I’m in Stratagem, a top-5 guild overall and typically top-3 each week in Tier-1 GW, so even the “soldiers” I fight are top players with maxed-out troops, but I find I lose just as much in battle #1 as battle #5 - I just don’t see a big difference. I certainly get the idea and the point of it - that the “Paragon” fight is supposed to be a “boss fight” compared to the “soldier” stuff in battle #1. But at least for me it just doesn’t really play out that way in practice. A soldier’s Death Mark or Devour is just as effective as the Paragon’s, and that’s what usually takes me out anyway.

In short, I’d like a system that motivates more varied defense teams, scores the battles as a pool of equally-scored fights that add up, and remove complications like the statue-buying bonus thing which doesn’t seem to really have much of an impact at the end of the day anyway, due to mechanics like Death Mark and Devour, which are the most deadly attacks in any case and aren’t impacted by stats.

7 Likes

I don’t think this will work. Guild Wars is a competition based on the quality of your matches. If you allow for one random defeat, players will just complain that they need more second chances, up to being able to repeat every battle until it ends with a perfect win. What’s going to be the deciding factor when everybody ends up with the same top score?

Whole-heartedly agree with no duplicate troops on defense. Will greatly reduce Kerb spam & Famine spam. Because in the top brackets, that’s the only two teams will you see. Ever.

1 Like

I like the following suggestions:
-Points for defense with color boosts attached
-27 members highest points count as people have lives and it shouldn’t punish the guild
-A weekly boss troop, even as a variation this sounds great.

2 Likes

TL;DR - You need a way to make your entire player base feel engaged by Guild Wars.

I’ll start with my perspective. I just left a Top 5 Guild after 1.5 years due to GW burnout. I’ve been thinking about this for more than two weeks so the Guild could stay Top 5. I’ve seen our guild lose many long term guildmates to the excessive time constraints GW, as well as members on vacations and business travel forcing themselves to log in every day for their GW matches.

Immediate Actions you should consider:

1. Current rotation of Guild War Exclusive Troops should be announced immediately to go into Guild Chests. Hopefully in the chests by next week. This gives you the ability to capture some of the revenue lost to GWs through Guild Seal purchases and helps guilds rebuild their feeling of community. They should be available even if Guild Guardians are not 4x Mythic.

2. INTERNALLY, decide if GWs should be held until the Unity port is complete, released. and the AIs match. You’re like Nazi Germany getting an option to close the Eastern Front. Keep it closed until you’re ready to reopen it. Right now GWs is costing you time and resources needed to get the game stable. Since you’ve taken the chance to step back from a two front war, TAKE IT. Move all your resources over to a successful port. Get the game stable and balance where you want it, then relaunch.

3. (I do not think this happens YET!!) Schedule time to look at Guild Alliances sandbagging in daily matches within a bracket in their daily matches verses allied guilds. The way the scoring system works right now, if I could get 5(?) Guilds in Bracket 1 to collude, we could permanently lock ourselves into the top 5 slots, and guarantee keeping bracket 1. We might not know who is going to take 1st in bracket 1 every week, but we could make sure we aren’t leaving bracket 1. If we had 8 guilds in bracket 1 in agreement, we lock the bracket down and just have two guilds that can bounce from 2-1-2-1.

Player/Guild Centric Suggestions:

1. Players need a way to choose what days to play their matches on. While you may want another feature to encourage daily play, add some carrot to have a player play their match on they day, but allow all GW matches for a week to be played starting on the first day of the week.

2. Guild Leaders and players have been asking for a way to take a vacation from Guild Wars for a week or more without hurting the Guild. I don’t see anyway to let this happen, and be fair to guilds running a full 30 players. The only thing I can think of, and it becomes a mess for you to code, is to allow a player, to set themselves as on Vacation for the week, up to five in a guild. Their matches would then be assigned to a wild card pool for the guild. Where any member can play up to two of the wild card matches any time during the week in place of a loss. The caveat here is I don’t know if there would be a way for top guilds to game sitting a player out for a week to have those wild card matches.

Guild War Suggestions:

1. Guild Wars doesn’t feel connected or epic. It just feels like five matches a day with extra weight. Being in Bracket 1, felt like being one of the few nuclear powers on the planet. None of the other guilds matter in the least, and they don’t feel any competition or connection with us. Look into blocking, RANDOMLY, multiple guilds across brackets into Alliances for a week. Have bonus weekly (Monthly) rewards based on the total performance of the Alliance. This way, some rank 200 guild can be thrilled to be paired with Anonymous or Dragon’s Peak for the month. They can root them on, and feel that their contributions to the war matters. Add some fun graphical appearance, and not just raw numbers, for these alliances. In my mind, some type of seeing territories on a map changing colors. Something where every alliance won’t just know they are number 1, but can see the ebb and flow of wins and losses. More on alliance breakdown down to follow in point 2.

2. Rework Brackets, and if possible, not just all the same size. You have a huge number of players of dramatically different amounts of play. You should be able to find some type of jenks or other natural breaks in the manner of play. Something like, mirroring GW ranks, Bracket 1 is top 10, Bracket 2 is 11-30, Bracket 3 is 31-70, Bracket 4 is 71-150, etc. This would allow much more variety in opponents faced. It would also allow the Alliance idea from point 1, to draw a Paragon Guild from Bracket 1, 2 Champion Guilds from Bracket 2, 4 Heralds from Bracket 3, 8 Vanguards from Bracket 4, then fill with soldiers.

I’m sure I have more ideas, but I’m out of time for now…

9 Likes

Only require 3 troops of a color for the full daily color bonus. This will allow a lot more flexibility in team building and allow people without many traited/ascended cards to use their favorites more than twice a week.

1 Like

If you would implement this feature or similar ones don’t forget to give 5 additional build slots so we can plan the whole week in advance. I don’t want to change my defense team every day. Thanks. :smirk:

1 Like

How about completely segregating your teams, so that your GW attack and defence teams are kept within a GW menu only?

4 Likes

Two raw ideas to change things a bit :

• Add a turn counter, and add bonus/malus points according to which turn you kill or lose a troop (summoned troops do not reward points).
    Like that you can really check how well we perform in GW.
    That would add some power to the board, other than just “I will be kind with you” or “I will screw you up badly”, luck will be a more thin factor.
    And that will add some strategy in team-building : Security or speed ? AoE or Single Target ?
    Bonus idea : if you exceed 20 (number is just an example) turns, you lose (or battle ends and you check which side win by I_do_not_know_which_factors_exactly).

• Assign randomly a “Troop of the day” with bonus points (and some boosted stats ?) when using it in defense (and attack ?).
    There are enough troops to have one different each day of the year, so we should see more diversity.
    To be more fair with new players, mythics can not be Troop of the day.
    Or even more fair : you create an unique troop slot, the “Troop of the day”, that we can add in our teams, which change everyday, giving an unique full traited lvl 20 copy of the daily selected troop.

And I like Azbra’s idea of having all the guild fighting the same incredibly powerful team, but maybe for another gameplay experience than GW or maybe in alternation, in order to vary things.

2 Likes

Possibly change it so people can be allowed to participate in GW if they join after Monday. Ease up the strain of recruiting, or of losing folks mid-week.

2 Likes