GoW Team Build Compendium

My PvP team, works very well against all teams, while still easily collecting 40 base souls:

Volatile Dragons (Abyssal Banner)

Gorgotha *** / Sylvanimora *** / The Dragon Soul (***) x 2

HOW TO USE: Try to match Purple > Red in order to fill TDS1. You might wanna cast it as soon as you can, unless there are 4 or 5-matches. Exception: if both TDS have full mana, don’t match Purple or Red even if it’s a 4 or 5 match. Instead, cast Fallen Stars with TDS1.
Casting priority: TDS1 > TDS2 > Sylvanimora > Gorgotha (Exception 1: If Gorgotha is stunned, frozen or death marked, you might wanna cast its spell first / Exception 2: If you have both Gorgotha and Sylvanimora full and you think Sylvanimora won’t be able to fill TDS1, you might wanna cast Gorgotha first).
Only match skulls if you think it’s really necessary. It’s best to use skulls as bait, since this team can take the hits.
Sylvanimora is a nice damage dealer that can also collect a fair amount of gems, but TDS’ combination of gem collecting and damage is more interesting. Sylvanimora’s 3rd trait is really important, since it can protect Gorgotha if it happens to be stunned. It’s also useful against teams that build Attack, like those with Courage.
Gorgotha not only can collect tons of gems, but it can stop most attacks. If Sylvanimora managed to entangle the enemy, Gorgotha won’t even feel a tickle. She can also take a lot of damage from Attacks from Impervious troops like Manticore. The ability to cleanse itself is also very important, especially against stun and death mark.

2 Likes

My fall back team seems to do reasonably well against most PvP teams I’ve run into. It’s the same one I used during the fantasy series before I went on break. Has the added bonus of not using any legendaries (although it does use 3 non-quest epics)

Greant Death
Dark Elven Banner

Treant ***
Swamplash
Sylvasi
Green Seer

Trait comments: Treant’s Stoneskin is the only real important trait required for this team, though having Huge on Swamplash, or Stealthy on Sylvasi won’t hurt. (The only traits I have on this team currently are the 3 Treant ones, and 1 on Sylvasi).

How to play:
You’r looking to fill Green Seer up as soon as possible, as a good match from her will fill up most of the others. If you can’t match Yellow or Purple, aim for filling up Treant as you’ll be able to remove Browns (allowing easier matches for Yellow/Purple) and also get Treant’s attack up for when you start matching skulls.
Swamplash will want to only cast on Entangled targets in most cases (Green Seer usually manages to keep at least one entangled), but you can use him to Entangle the troop in first to keep them from attacking if you happen to get an early brown fill. Assuming you have the 4 magic kingdoms maxed out Swamplash should be doing 16/32 damage per cast at Epic rarity (+1 from Fey captain).
Sylvasi is mostly there to help fill up Green Seer again, and also providing attack reduction support to help keep Treant alive for longer. Ideally you want to only cast him when you can get a 4 match off, and it doesn’t matter too much if you target an entangled troop as your main goal it to just to get Green Seer back up to fill up everyone else and entangle another troop.

In short Green Seer fills up Treant and Swamplash who attack with Skulls and Spells respectively, and Sylvasi helps keeping things moving while providing some support to keep Treant alive (and hopefully have a high attack if the enemy ever manages to get down to him).

3 Likes

EDIT: @MakoSipper and @Ozball PvP teams added to OP

fast paced EXPLORE team, aimed for traitstone farming but with soul gain too (hard difficulty suggested)

Behemoth
The Dragon Soul
Aziris (fully traited)
Aziris (fully traited)

+abysmal banner

total color bonus: +4 purple +1 red -1 yellow
necromancy: +100%

priority: you fill DS possibly with purples then reds, otherwise behemoth, casting DS as a priority otherwise behemoth

2 necromancy traits make even single ds cast grant a lot of souls so even if you dont cap souls its worth to just kill with behemoth and move on to next explore match,

games usually end after 2-3 casts and you fill ds usually after two 3-gem matches so it really goes fast :slight_smile:

edit/ possible team modification:

replace Behemoth >> Giant Spider (traited link)
(little slower game but more stable souls and safer board control)

replace first Aziris >> Pharus-Rah ***
(a little slower game but a tone more souls)

2 Likes

Hi Annaerith, I’m sorry but I have to say that I don’t get behemoth in this team! Giant spider is a much better fit. It gives you an extra magic link so you get 8 purple basic for a 3 match, and after you’ve cast TDS the spider can instantly refill TDS for another blast without losing a turn

1 Like

EDIT- @Annaerith Fast explore team added to OP

That one looks fun, I think I will try it out! Though I might take @Dddd suggestion and throw up a Giant Spider for fast refill of TDS! More souls never hurt anybody! :wink:

1 Like

Dear @Dddd,
i prefer behemoth as then i dont need to wonder when and which gem to transmute, also behemoth deals noticably higher damage so the whole fight is faster - more traitstones.

also with this new mythic i replaced first aziris with pharus-rah. gonna edit that entry with both modification suggestions

@Dddd 's suggestion and the pharus-rah one :slight_smile:

My offensive PvP team that I have been playing for a few months now. Getting bored with it but having trouble finding anything faster and reliable.

Soothsayer
Behemoth
Valkyrie
Queen Mab

All fully traited

This team can normally destroy any team in about 4 casts of Behemoth and/or Queen Mab. There is a definite chance for first turn kills though more often it will be turn 2-4 when it finishes off the opponent. The trickiest part is getting use to Soothsayer. He is almost always cast first turn after all 4+ matches are taken. Cast him to create a 4 match, or take as much red and yellow as possible, ideally casting him would create a 3 match of red or yellow. He is important for correcting bad boards and provides the most consistency in ensuring fast games. Tried modifying team with Mercy instead but found her to be less consistent.

Queen Mab should never be cast unless you have 13 Blues+ or it is the killing blow. Behemoth often does majority of the damage getting through impervious troops while being a great tank. It is often best to leave skulls for your opponent as Soothsayer is sacrificial after his first cast and Behemoth can often tank further skull hits thanks to his third trait. With Valkyrie removing colours from the board, you will be surprised with the number of extra turn cascades you will get from Soothsayer and Behemoth. Always cast Behemoth when he is full unless Queen Mab can be cast for an extra turn.

One final thing of note, work on getting all magic kingdoms to level 10 and 5 starred as this is what turns Behemoth into an unstoppable killing machine.

1 Like

EDIT: @Illithid team added to OP list

It seems like the list is missing earlier game builds. Almost all of the teams have one or more legendaries in them.

@Studs I was considering adding an early team build section, if we felt there was a need.

If you or anybody has an EARLY BUILD (no legendaries but viable for all purpose abuse in early game) then label it as such and I will add an EARLY GAME section to the OP.

My knowledge of early game builds is not great because I lucked into KoS very early and beat that pony like a dead horse… :wink:

1 Like

There is always the traditional:

Ol’ Faithful
Treant***
Alchemist
Valkyrie
Banshee

Red/Blue Banner i think?

Been a while since I used the team though.

EDIT: Not sure it really needs Treant’s traits, but they certainly help.

1 Like

I love this team and am using it now and for the past 6 or so months. I use the +2 red banner to fill up Alchemist because once he’s full, he can pretty much start the chain to fill everyone else (usually, if the board cooperates). The Stoneskin trait for Treant is definitely useful.

EDIT- I added a link to a thread devoted to speed PvP teams.
EDIT- I have added a BEGINNER BUILD Section to the OP and @Ozball’s Ol’ Faithful has been added.

A note about posting a Beginner Build team, please follow the format, include your play instructions, but also make sure that your build does not include a Legendary. You may include a note about which Legendary would work well in place of X troop, but I want the teams in this Beginner Section to be completely attainable in early game and realistically accessible for new players.

Thank you! :wink:

Noble Sacrifice Engine

Sacrifice has been sitting out there as a guardian that sees little use. With the appearance of Princes Elspeth, empowered, we have a way to make Sacrifice quick, and gain a lot of Magic.

This engine is aimed at quick explores on Normal mode. The team can stall out, but it is designed gambit for very fast (Turn 1 or 2) explore mode kills.

Sacrifice (or Non-Purple AOE troop)
Hero (AOE Purple Weapon/Troop or Sacrifice if AOE troop in first slot. )
Sacrifice
Princes Elspeth*** (Must have all 3 traits.)

The team I use, for which I will explain the strategy is:
Sacrifice ***
Hero (Sorcerer) w/ Sun and Moon *** (Magic Link)
Sacrifice ***
Princes Elspeth

Ideal flow is:
Step 1: Use Elspeth on the Sacrifice in the 3rd slot, summons random knight. (If Sacrifice has 3rd trait, gain 4 attack + magic as both Virtue of Sacrifice Traits fire.)

2: Cast Sacrifice killing Princess Elspeth (Select Yellow, goal is to power sun and moon. Or select secondary color for your AOE weapon/Troop.) Gain Magic to all other allies, as well as Virtue of Sacrifice trigger.

2A: If Sacrifice charged cast again killing Knight summoned by Elspeth. Same affects as step 2.
3. Cast Hero or troop. (Often for 40+ damage to all.

I hope this team gives you another creative use for Princess Elspeth.

3 Likes

So, it’s been a while since this thread has seen a bump… so… BUMP!

We have a lot of new faces around the forums AND a lot of new troops added lately so it seemed appropriate.

If you have a great team that is not listed already, share it! Don’t forget to follow the format in the OP, full team details, banner, and play strategy, so that anybody can build and test your best creations!!

Thanks in advance for your Contributions to the Compendium!!

:wink:

1 Like

absolutely. I really need quick update to soul/gold/wings farming teams as bombot team was sounded great till i found out most traits from support cards is bonus to heal insteads of armor.

Here’s a fun skull damage team for Sekhma:

Gorgotha (3 traits)
Giant Spider (2 traits)
Sekhma (no traits required but 3rd trait is always good)
Infernal King (no traits required)

Banner is up to you but I use Lion banner to help fill Gorgotha and GS.

How to play: fill Gorgotha or spider first depending on the starting board. Spider is usually quicker. If Gorgotha fills, cast him to fill the spider. Spider should fill Sekhma and/or IK, at which point the two can usually loop pretty well to create huge skull damage, plus targeted and split damage. Gorgotha can reset the board of you get stuck.

Weaknesses: frozen will stop you on your tracks until Gorgotha cleanses himself. Stone skin and gorgotha or stone hammer can be a pain but with Sekhma’s spell you can target them to significantly speed things up.

New explore teams:

Current favorite:

Queen of Thorns (Woodland Banner)

Elspeth ***
Rowanne
Aurai ***
Deathknight *** (Green weapon)

Start by casting Elspeth on DK. That should generate green mana for Rowanne and DM all enemies (that aren’t immune to it). From there, you have a few options… If Rowanne is ready to cast and able to kill everyone, don’t think twice–do it. If not, either match green to make her ready, or try to eat away at the enemies total life/armor… You can do that by matching skulls, casting Aurai’s spell if possible, or hoping DM takes an enemy out.
If you fill Elspeth again, you can safely cast Rowanne’s spell even if she won’t take everyone out, and then use Elspeth to sacrifice Aurai for more green gems.
So, your matching priority should be green > blue / yellow (and skulls, depending on the situation)

My previous explore team:

Explodation Team (Kraken Banner)

Elspeth ***
Bombot
Settite Warrior
Troglodyte ***

Similar to the other team. Start by casting Elspeth’s spell to sacrifice Troglodyte and generate browns for Bombot. Usually, Bombot takes out most troops. Use Settite Warrior to finish them off, or match skulls if that’s enough.
Matching priority: brown > green
Note: For me, Bombot rarely kills all troops with a single cast. There’s always at least one buffed troop that will survive, not to mention those annoying troops with Life Drain trait. On the other hand, some troops take way more damage than needed. It was based on that that I decided to replace a troop that deal damage to all enemies for a troop that deals split damage.

2 Likes

I have seen the posts. Update forthcoming when time permits.

Thanks for sharing everybody!! :grin: