Gems of War Database - updated troops list and much more!

I had no plans to add sorts by other stats. I wasn’t sure if anyone ever sorted by those. I can add this if you like (based on troop max stats, though).

That’s handled by troop color filtering (and sorting in the table view). I don’t plan to add another way to filter by color.

2 Likes

No need to, your sorting works great as it lumps every colour combination, making it easy enough to see all the Troops that use that Arcane stone.

1 Like

Added new columns to the troop table at http://ashtender.com/gems/trooptable, representing the maximum (pre-kingdom bonus) value of the following stats:

• Attack
  • Life
  • Armor
  • Durability (Life + Armor)

I didn’t see a compelling reason to add Magic, since the meaning of Magic stat depends entirely on the troop’s spell and therefore doesn’t really mean anything when compared to other troops’.

Because the number of columns is growing beyond the width I’ve assigned the page, I added a column chooser widget to the table, which defaults to what was there before this addition (minus spell cost). To add new columns, or take away some of the existing ones, click the button (“Choose Columns”) directly above the table headers. Bear in mind that turning on all columns makes the site a bit hard to parse on mobile!

8 Likes

Two minor additions to the troop table:

• I added another (hidden by default) column, called “Physical Durability,” which modifies the existing Durability stat by any mitigation stat the troop may have (Armored, Stoneskin, Granite Skin). As you’d expect, Gorgotha tops that list by a huge margin, coming in at 196 effective hit points (Archon Statue and Stone Giant are tied for second place at 96; Gorgotha is over two times tankier than they are!).

• I renamed “Board Control” to “Effects,” and put a shorthand description of every component of every troop’s spell there. It’s designed with brevity and searching in mind, so it’s not particularly detailed. In particular, I don’t mention if damage is true damage or not, and I don’t specify what buff or debuff the troop does (aside from healing, which I called out separately). This means it’s a bit harder to look for troops that, say, burn, but it’s easier to find all debuffing troops at once. Tradeoffs…I might split out debuffs if there’s demand for it.

Give it a look and see if the categories make sense!

7 Likes

I really have to stop being so impressed with each and every change.

I know when I click on the Troop List I’m going to like whatever I see :wink:

2 Likes

100 changes later and we are still impressed.

2 Likes

I don’t think I have posted in this topic, but I make fairly liberal use of this tracker and it is an AMAZING job. I wish there was a concrete list of what troops are available on consoles vs everything else. But that would even more insane upkeep then what you have here.

That said, amazing work!

2 Likes

Hi all, a couple new features today.

• Added icons for (max value) attack, life, armor, and magic on the card as adornments, similar to how these are displayed in-game.

• Added the beginnings of a team builder! To use it, simply start dragging the card art of a card you want to add to your current team. When you start dragging, a widget will appear in the upper-right of your browser window:

Drop the troop in there to add it to the team.

You can also add the hero weapon if you like! (There’s no validation currently that there’s only one hero weapon in the team.) When you are finished, click the “Publish Team” link to take you to a page that has all 4 troops laid out. The URL of this page can be shared with others. For example, here is a team I use in PvP sometimes:

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/6027,6163,6124,6074

You can also type out a team manually, if you’re so inclined. A typical goblin team:

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/hobgoblin,goblin-rocket,goblin-shaman,boar-rider

Additionally, you can drag entries in the Name column in the troop table the same way you can drag the card art on the other pages.

There’s probably a lot of bugs in this new feature, so play with it and let me know what I screwed up… One thing to note is that the new feature is currently drag-and-drop only, so it won’t work on mobile platforms. Sorry! Also, you’ll need to have cookies on if you want your team to stick around as you navigate the database.

7 Likes

Cool new feature!

Bugs:

• Dragging and dropping puts the troop in the team, but also loads the image as a webpage? Pressing back gets me back to the page I was on, with the right troop loaded into the team box.
  • Green/red mana icon in the team box is a broken image.
  • Removing troops by clicking the no entry symbol leaves a broken image icon residue in that slot of the team box until you load a new page.

Thanks for the feedback! May I ask what browser and OS you are on?

Firefox and Windows 10.

Gotcha – will give Firefox a try.

Repro’d all the issues in Firefox. All of the above should now be fixed.

2 Likes

Currently you can drag a hero class to the team builder, but there is no icon for it in the team builder (broken image icon) and when you publish the build it only shows the three cards. While I understand that you’re probably not meant to drag the class, and should drag the weapon instead, I figured I’d at least mention it :wink:

Ah, nice catch. Yeah, classes should not be draggable. I’ll address today.

Lyya should be granted 5 Levels of vip for this work.

1 Like

As several people pointed out to me, the tourney is assuming all troops at their base rarity and level-capped at 15 for common, etc. I don’t have a GUI to enable setting these limits in the Gems Database yet, but for now I’ve got a URI syntax that should support hand-crafting. The syntax is:

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/[troop],[troop],[troop],[troop],c20

So the above goblin team would be:

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/hobgoblin,goblin-rocket,goblin-shaman,boar-rider,c20

WARNING: MAJOR NERD STUFF BELOW, YOU PROBABLY DON’T CARE

The general syntax for supplying troops to the team URL is:

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/[troop],[troop],[troop],[troop],[limit]

Where “limit” is a combination of max rarity (“C” for common, “R”, “UR”, “E”, “L”, “M”) and max level (1-20). Example limits are:

e17: Max rarity epic, max level 17
c5: Max rarity common, max level 5
m20: Max rarity mythic, max level 20 (the default if none is otherwise given)

If any limit is specified, then the troop’s max level will be additionally capped according to its rarity cap.

In addition, each troop can be given an independent limit, by replacing the troop name or ID above with “[troop.limit]”. So if you wanted to (for whatever crazy reason) provide a link to a team with several max-level legendaries and a level-1 peasant, you could do it like this:

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/sheggra,gorgotha,peasant.c1,celestasia

Poor little guy.

END NERD STUFF

I’ll update the links today.

6 Likes

So I got a random idea yesterday while reading through the Fantasy Series stuff, however I don’t know how feasible it is, as it would require dev approval as well as yours @Lyya. But here’s the idea anyways:

Basically on mousing over a link to the troop list this type of pop-up appears. This example was done using qtip which is already in use on the Troop List site, but I’m not sure if there is a chance of getting it added here or not. The idea behind it is that it allows people an easy reference to check the card that someone is talking about without having to load a new webpage and disrupting their reading.

Also most of my web based coding knowledge is theoretical (and reasonably basic), meaning that I’ve got very little experience with it outside of a classroom situation. I’m not really sure how to get the info from Lyya’s site and format it correctly in the tooltip (the above example is just an image I made from the site and added to the tooltip), and I ran into some Cross origin request errors when trying to do so.

Is this something that could in theory be implemented using the information from your site? Or would it cause too many headaches to sort out?

EDIT: This idea was inspired by Wowhead’s tooltips for World of Warcraft and Hearthstone items/cards

1 Like

Frankly, I’d love it, and I’m certain it’s possible – but as it’d require someone to author a markdown plugin to Discourse and publish it to gemsofwar.com, the odds of that happening are…pretty low.

I toyed with the idea on my site, actually, just to prove out the concept. It wouldn’t be hard for me to make the troop query qtip-friendly again.

As for the markdown, it’d be great if there were something along the lines of:

“Guys, check it out, I finally got a [[Bone Dragon]]!”

And that’d automatically resolve to a troop list link.

EDIT: Actually the same-domain problem would require a server-side tunnel (unlikely) or for gemsofwar.com to host my Database (even more unlikely).

1 Like