Favorite game of 2016

Gems of war,. dehhh!

Absolutely. Early FF games (1-6) tended to be mechanically focused on the odd numbered releases, while the even numbered games focused on the story. 7 broke the pattern by shooting for both. This may affect which early FF games you want to get first.

If you want FF with a side of grid-based combat, Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games of all time. Not sure if it’s on Android, but I do have it on iOS, so it’s probably there.

1 Like

FF1-6 are interesting, but ordinary I guess.

FF7 is amazing and revolutionary - and has to be played.

FF Tactics Advance on the GameBoy was the best grid tactics game. There’s a newer one on iOS which looks great but I found really slow…

2 Likes

I disagree about FF6. That’s the first game in the series where I felt the story speak to me. It has a great ensemble cast and the story feels appropriately epic in scope.

I’d say FF9 is my favorite, though.

2 Likes

FF10 is my favourite story.

FF12 is my favourite for gameplay.

FF13 is rather binary. I love it and think it’s a great game experience. If you love other FF titles you’re likely to be upset by how different (and restrictive) it is.

FF13.2 and 13.3 should be avoided at all costs.

Ff8, 6 and 9 are my faves but i also liked ff12 save for its clusterfug of a story. Oh and i was ADDICTED to triple triad. 13-2 was ok, like woff but better. Woff is dragged, aimless, bland. 13-2 was actually reflective of better days in a way where 13 and 13-3 are utter garbage abusing the name. Ff used and is supposed to be about immersion. Impression alone doesnt do that, it needs volume, content, breathing room etc… Thats what 13 and 13-3 lack.

I hated the laws system in Tactics Advanced. After I got a game over from a “no critical hits” law eliminating the main character, I put it down and never went back. A system that appears to be intended to force the player to use a variety of strategies is nice, but when it causes instant game over from something that the player can’t really control it becomes awful.

If you’re talking about FFT: The War of the Lions, it’s the “extended cut” of the original from the PS1.

Back to the thread topic, Gems of War and Factorio are my favorite games that I started playing in 2016.

I’ve got a soft spot for FF12 and think it’s a good game. The gameplay, as you mentioned, is quite solid and has some intense fights if you don’t abuse certain equipment and spells.

Were you a fan of the gambit system? FF12 International has the souped up judges as superbosses and they’re ridiculously solid to fight against.

1 Like

I agree, PoGo was killer for about three weeks, just a shame they couldn’t get server issues under control in a better way other than removing features from the game and closing down radar tracker third party apps. Game dropped off real quick after that.

I don’t really have a game of the year… Maybe Overwatch or Rocket League? Bleh, I personally feel like this year was terrible for gaming, I haven’t been looking forward to many games all year. Fingers crossed for Halo Wars 2, though.