Double gem matches

So I can’t find a good answer on this anywhere. When your matching and chaining gems if you get 4 or more you get another turn to go again. However if you happen to do the same color match to 6 gems 3 gems on top or beside each other the system looks at this as you made 2 seperate matches on the same round. If there were no other matches that were greater than 4 the system finishes your turn and then hands control over to the AI.

So as the player I see 6 gems of the same color side by side matching yet the AI says this doesn’t count towards a free turn.

I think the rule is: 2 combines in different directions that hit each other, are added together (minus the 1 gem where they cross/touch).
So 2x3 crossing/touching like: _| or + will both count as a 5er.

Two combines of three on top of one another count as separate combines of three.
Two combines of three, side by side, should not really be possible, or count as a 6er.

Can you give an example of the beside each other situation you are referring to?

I’m not sure if I understand what you’re saying. In order to get a 5 match, the only shapes that work are 5 in a row, a +, a T or an L (or any of these extended by more gems). If you have two rows of 3 on top of each other, the game sees that as two 3-matches.

@CCafe @Stan

I’m in the same boat as Stan I don’t think I fully understand the pattern you are referring to in your question. I can guess what your asking, but that probably won’t help you if I’m wrong.

If you could make a quick video or screen shot the community or a developer will easily be able to help.

1 Like

Candy Crush is to blame.

I’ll use red for my example the leter R represents a gem.

RRR
RRR

or

RR
RR
RR

As for when you see them most, mainly looping, however I’ve seen them quite a few times when you use a card that explodes multiple gems on the board like Gorgotha, Dargon Soul and a few others.

The reason you get it during looping is because if you get a massive build up of one color gem then start looping skulls, every now and then you’ll get the perfect amount just right and it is possible to cause a loop that clears almost 90% of the gems on the screen.

I figured that the system is looking for 4 or more gems to be conneceted and would automatically disqualify a multiple matches of 3 gems. However in this case the gems are actually touching themselves so you see a block of 6 clear off and yet you are not offered a 2nd turn.

Actually if you want to blame a game, blame Bejeweled, as it technically is considered the Granddaddy of matching games. It wasn’t the first however it was the most successful of the time.

1 Like

I meant Candy Crush is to blame for making L or X or T shapes count as 5 matches, rather than two separate 3 matches, which was the case in PQ. Pretty sure Candy Crush was first to popularise that.

Deleted: Hindsight is 20/20 and I’ve been up for more hours than I should have been.

I don’t think Jainus is arguing about which came first. How does Bejeweled handle matches of 5 in an L or + shape? Do they count as two threes or as a 5? Does Bejeweled’s rule set even allow for a difference (never played that particular Popcap game)?

for the sake of removing the confusion lets summarise it as:

minimum match: 3 gems in one row

minimum extra turn:
4 gems in one row
or
two rows of “3 gems in one row” that share one gem together (which basically means they have to be one horisontal and one vertical line to be able share a gem)

in the case of :
GGG
GGG

the two rows dont share any gem in common thus cannot be counted as one big match of 6 gems

i hope that clears things up

1 Like

I haven’t played Bejewelled in a few years, but I’m almost certain that it takes a T or an L or a + as two 3-matches. To get a 5 match (which generates a hyper-gem, or something), it has to be 5 in a row.

1 Like

This is my memory of Bejewelled on my phone too… I think it also summons a small dragon somehow?

2 Likes