Dawnbringer unbalances Arena

Why don’t you start by reading the thread to know what the concern is?

4 Likes

So because you have already 7 starred all kingdoms and have excess souls, players that are starting out and need the arena for souls should suffer?

I don’t get it. This is plainly catering to the fun of higher level players at the expense of new player progression.

3 Likes

I’m not “crying for a nerf”. I’m pointing out a problem that will turn away new players and only benefits those that are already on top (and don’t need to do arena). Arena is unavoidable for new players if they want to have level their first few teams. Should they be wiped every 2-3 arena matches because someone finds the Dawnbringer more fun? An item that is only accessible to those who have played for more than 6 months.

Crying for a nerf is all of the posts whining about Mab and Justice, not real actual balance issues like this.

The Runic Blade is accessible to anyone that can get Nature + Air Mastery to 37, so that’s well below level 200. About 2 weeks of play and you can have it. It is accessible without a HUGE progression barrier.

Runic Blade also doesn’t one hit an entire team, requiring no aim by the AI (which the Runic Blade does to be effective). That’s why Dawnbringer is so brutal… it’s the noob-tube of arena, hamstringing new players for the amusement of long time players.

Why remove Runic blade? This post is NOT about a problem with players winning arena, it’s about new content creating an impossible situation for new players. Anyone defending the Dawnbringer probably has it or has not even played arena recently. Remove it as an option or take those players out of the rotation new players have to fight.

6 Likes

I don’t think it should be banned from arena the people that paid a million souls should be able to use it. I would like to see the weapon be random that way we don’t have to fight either Dawnbrinnger or Runic Blade every battle. Arena is my favourite thing in the game I do at least 1 or 2 runs a day but now I am very quickly starting to hate it more than pvp.

5 Likes

I don’t think it should be banned from players using it on offense, but I do think it should be barred from coming up as your opponent. Runic blade I’m personally fine with, I see it in probably 50-75% of battles and I think I’ve lost to it once in the last week, which could just as easily be chalked up to getting a crappy troop draw or skyfalls favoring the AI (just like happens in PVP).

4 Likes

I think this is a very reasonable adjustment. Dawnbringer teams simply are not selected by the comp from being pulled. Should be relatively simple to implement as well… I think… :thinking:

6 Likes

New-ish player here. Used to do Arena because it was a way to get souls that was a lot more fun than just mindless Valkyrie + triple Warlock Challenge grind. My last 6 Arena runs failed to a Dawnbringer team. There are tons of them and Arena is now completely pointless for me, which is pretty frustrating.

5 Likes

+1 to regulate Dawnbringer in the Arena. Equal chances, equal opportunity to all,Runic Blade is free and accessible to all of us while Dawnbringer isn’t,at least for a very long in-game time.
Maybe devs could do something like bracketing the Arena,apply some numeric value to Hero’s + stats
bonuses and weapon so that you battle tha same bracket of opponents with around the same strenght.

2 Likes

Just make them unavailable as opponents or only available if you own it.

4 Likes

Oh and you might want to add that only people that have said souls can even craft it not us low lvl’s who haven’t played for as long as those ultra high resource scavengers or people that get lucky to farm said souls for as long as they can an the list goes on, the only way around is to lower the cost to craft it so others can use it idk but atm I don’t play arena plus don’t think I even want to bother lols or only one way to counter it probs use one of those (deal dbl or so much dmg against mana coloured troop) :x

1 Like

Out of curiosity, I ran the arena twice with War and Peace weapon. I don’t have Dawnbringer either and I did not get very lucky with random cards although I managed to pull Summoner for the second run. Total, I lost a single match and not to a Dawnbringer hero. IMHO, it is quite manageable although not very pleasant to deal with mostly because everyone seems to have it. Out of 17 matches I played, iirc 10 or 11 were against Dawnbringer, 5 or 4 were against Runic Blade which is not very good IMO, and 2 were against something else. So, yes, the frustration is understandable. Although, it is very much beatable and quite easily if you are lucky enough to pull some summoning card. And yes, I played on normal difficulty.

Part of the reason why Dawnbringsr is common in Arena is because you only face opponent teams that won Arena themselves, so the results skew toward powerful teams (and effective weapons).

8 Likes

I had no idea where enemy arena teams came from, and it’s a cool idea to fight actual created arena teams.

Soulforge frost sword does triple damage to red mana users and hits first troop. So at least low levels can afford a counter weapon lol

3 Likes

Arena has been neglected for years. It was designed for the game 2-3 years ago. Dawnbringer is the latest extreme addition that just doesn’t fit this old play mode.

Yes these high level weapons could be banned from arena. Better - arena needs a complete rework…

10 Likes

Absolutely. What’s the point of having a troop stun an enemy when there’s no traits in arena. It’s a complete mess.

4 Likes

I think the Dark Sword in the Soulforge might even be better in Arena, because it does triple damage to yellow troops, so it can target both Dawnbringer and Runic Blade.

5 Likes

Basically, ban every weapon that has ever defeated me. I will go through my list until I get to the point where I win every game

2 Likes

This is disigenuous.

Arena is mainly aimed at beginners, high-level players have no real benefits in it.

All things being the same for attack and defense - and they aren’t, since attack has random troops and defense is a winning team - different weapons make the difference.

1 Like

For higher level players, there are considerable benefits in playing Arena. Fast souls, for example. I was sarcastically commenting on the tendency in many games for people to demand that things be nerfed if they can’t find a way to combat them.

Also, I haven’t met a Dawnbringer in Arena yet this week, even though I have played several hours of arena wanting to see the new wep, and even though I am lvl 1126. Perhaps it is OP, but maybe people who have worked for 100s or 1000s of hours, and often actually paid GoW for the “privilege”, actually deserve to have something special for their efforts.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone is arguing against players being able to use Dawnbringer on offense in Arena. The problem is when you are facing an AI-controlled Dawnbringer team. If the AI is allowed to cast, it is almost guaranteed to kill off 2-3 of your troops in one shot. That plus the team-wide barrier is wildly out of balance with any troop you could possibly have on your own team.

I have around a 30% win rate against Dawnbringer teams, and it could be six months or more before I have access to this weapon. I’m level 1103 and still need 900k+ souls to level my troops. At this point if I see Dawnbringer on the AI side, I consider it a loss, because unless I get supremely lucky with skulls/4-matches to fill my attackers’ mana, I can’t beat it.

I do Arenas for trophies because I burn out quickly in PVP with how many grief teams I see on a daily basis. Now I get to get griefed in Arena too. This sucks, plain and simple.

Again - I’m all for people who earned Dawnbringer being able to use it. I just want it removed from the pool of AI teams that players will face when “invading” in Arena. Unlike PVP, the players using Dawnbringer lose nothing in this arrangement. There are no defense points in Arena. It literally hurts no one to block it from coming up as an AI team.

10 Likes