Crash at start: 2 or 4 GB RAM is not enough

This isn’t a matter of QA. This has been tested and none of the testers experienced this memory issue. We all had around 500MB usage (and still have that). Also a number of people have said that they are also only running at half a gig, so there is something linking all the people with 2.5GB usage that’s not directly tied to the game. The challenge now is to find what that issue is and then hopefully the devs can patch in a fix for it.

1 Like

Well Im not having any problems running the game, runs buttery smooth for me. So something about my system must be weird because running it on an older upgraded laptop.

i5-2450M 2.5Ghz
8 GB DDR3 (Dual Channel)
Intel HD3000 integrated
Windows 7 x64

Although it is eating 3GB of ram total

1 Like

I’m running i7 4770k, Windows 7 64bit, 16gb ram, AMD 280x 3gb - Latest drivers

Fresh reboot, loaded only Gems of War: 2.6gb usage, and has not dropped at all.

1 Like

If people who are getting the memory issue could start posting their PC/Laptop specs that might help the devs track down a common cause. eg OS (x86 or x64/32bit v 64bit) RAM, CPU, Graphics Card etc.

1 Like

This is odd… Looks like i’m on the bright side of the spectrum or maybe i’m totally clueless about verifying the game specs:

Anyway, GoW is running perfectly with Mythic graphics, 4x speed and such… I can even run Nox (Android emulator) that also uses a lot of memory.

My notebook specs:

Windows 10 Home Single Language - 64 bits

Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz - 4GB of RAM

Graphic Card: AMD Radeon R5 M230

Anyone with similar specs and having issues try to check if your graphic card is properly configurated/dedicated to your games. I had to do it manually for Nox (Android Emulator) but GoW went automatically always, but never discard the chance of having a particular little bug messing up with your configurations:

The steps to configure it are somewhat easily found on youtube tutorials and such depending of your graphic card.

Hey everyone, @Ozball is correct as usual. Please contact us with as much information as you can regarding your setup so we can see if there is a common thread between these issues. Also, the Known Issues thread has information about the minimum system reqs. Please also make sure all of your drivers are up to date, as this has caused some players trouble with booting the game.

3 Likes

Just to further respond to this issue, we have found a cause to the game eating up all that RAM, and will hopefully have a fix out for it within the next 6 hours (max). This issue is due to a bug in DirectX9, causing the game to consume (over) double the memory it should be using. Hopefully this new build will stop the game from crashing due to memory issues, so we will let everyone know when it has been released.

7 Likes

Oz… - These are tests I don’t think Beta testers would do since even trained testers forget them.

Longevity testing where the app is minimized on the bar and tributes happen over x hours?

Window in the back - different size(s), over x hours

Change area (PVP), Guild, Troops, Kingdoms back and forth and watched the memory manager after each change?

Defined garbage collection routines on the heap

Multiple notifications over the day, but don’t select them - and the memory usage there?

Chat - open and game play (with activity, without activity, with notifications outside of chat)

Just thoughts…And yes I am one of those who is having memory issues. And I am working through these with my tools and spreadsheet :slight_smile:

1 Like

This particular one both myself and @Lyya performed as we were trying to ascertain whether the memory leak from Adobe AIR was still present or not. Might not have been a robust a test as required for other issues, but we did do it to some degree.

But yeah, some of the more robust memory tests we didn’t perform, and as voluntary testers had no reason to expect to need to perform. None of us ran into memory issues, and the ones from Adobe AIR seemed to be fixed. So spending time testing something that seemed to be working properly didn’t cross my mind at least.

Hopefully the new build GoldPheonix0 mentioned to deal with the bug in DirectX9 will fix things, and if it doesn’t I feel your reports would be very useful to the devs.

I’ve just had a mail saying 12-36 hours, and advising me to upgrade my drivers, hardware and operating system

@Saltypatra @Nimhain @Sirrian

For a match 3 game? I do hope that this is a joke.

If I had a problem with one laptop, even with 2, I would willingly admit that there is an issue with them. But GoW is taking 2-2.5GB of RAM of 3 different laptops, with different caracteristics and setups. That is quite a lot.
So I am going to wait for the fix mentioned by @GoldPhoenix0, hoping it will solve my problems.

1 Like

7 year old laptop here, an Asus Notebook K40IJ/K50IJ: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T7660 2.20 GHz processor, 2 Gigabyte RAM, 64 bit original Windows.

Before this update, the game started in around 40 seconds. Now, last time I’ve tried, lowest graphic settings, windowed 640x mode, it stops loading at this point: Crash at start: 2 or 4 GB RAM is not enough - #11 by GKaplan

As you can see, I can’t free up 3 gigabytes of RAM :pensive:

No joke

I apologize for any inconvenience the most recent update may have caused. We are currently working on a very small update that should allow you to play Gems Of War once more without issue.

We hope to have this ready to release within the next 12 to 36 hours.

Unfortunately until then, the only suggestions I can give would be to make sure your Graphics drivers are updated/upgrade your Computers current hardware or perhaps upgrading your current Operating System. Doing so should reduce the general number of issues you may experience too!

Yeah so I’m updating as we speak. When it’s all done I’ll post a reply if it worked or not.

There was some 36 Mb patch,since then the game now crashes instantly after i hit play game.Wow this is getting better and better.Same error as Edward and the others.

So I’ve just finished updating graphic drivers and updated windows 10. Rebooted and as expected, it did not fix the issue!

We just released a new patch which should hopefully fix some of the RAM usage issues.

That being said, @SurgingWaters and @Flip, it looks like you both are still experiencing issues? What errors are being displayed? If so, could you post any new errors either below or off to Support?

2 Likes

I’m still having problems as well.
The game now crashes immediately on launch and no longer makes it to the “Loading…” page where it used to crash.
I’ve sent the log files to support.

Nothing changed. How do I find the log files? This is the error I’m getting:

Screen resolution is set to 640x480. Windowed mode, Graphics: fastest.

I have a DELL Latitude E6230, OS: Win 10 Pro, 32bit on x64 processor. CPU: I5-3320M 2.6GHz, 16,0 GB RAM. Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Card 4000. Total Graphics memory: 1773 MB. Updated today (update 4-4-2016).

EDIT: I have Direct X 12.

Log files should be in this folder:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Gems of War

You can get to it by right clicking the game in Steam → Properties-> Local Files tab → Browse Local Files