AI getting too many drops on console, still?

I only posted 1…

1 Like

When we move to Unity there will be no reason to check the differences between PC/Mobile and console, because we will be using the console AI across the board. We have already tested the luck of the AI and it’s cascade drops on console, which will be the universal AI in the future.

It doesn’t make sense to run lengthy tests on the PC/Mobile AI when we will be changing it. In fact, it will use valuable manpower that we need elsewhere.

Yes but there could be some difference that will make another fuss and I think enough pitchforks were given since GW… What some players on Console said is that there is some huge cascade happening. If it’s true and you will deploy this new AI to PC/Mobile, lots of fuss will happen.
For me, it’s not about to know if AI is luckier than players, it is more about occurence and length of cascade.

It could be help to forsee a future riot if there is really a difference.
And that’s an issue that you cannot easily obtain this kind of data or put some code to make it possible (sort of debug mode).

The team is going to be looking at cascades again and doing some further internal testing as we move PC over to Unity.

4 Likes

The Console AI appeared distraught just now. Apparently, it had just read your post.

Playing the part of the “consoler,” I was like, “listen, Console AI, baby, they just don’t get that you’re different now… that you’ve changed… that you don’t ‘take skulls’ anymore. Give them some time, and they’ll adjust to the ‘new’ you.”

The Console AI felt better after our talk and proceeded to leave a 5-match on the board for me, as it casted one of its troop’s abilities.

Seriously, though, I rather like the Console AI. Slightly less predictable.

1 Like

It is really poor form when the same crowd come charging in ridiculing other forum members when this comes up. Quite low.

There is clearly some misinterpretation of the term “cheating”, the AI gets better drops on console than it used to, it also gets better drops on console than it does on PC… subsequently, losing so many more matches than people are used to can lead them to think that it is cheating.

But people disregard all that and jump on others necks, gaining some form of gratification from embarassing them I assume.

1 Like

Ow boy… this is gonna be fun :wink:

2 Likes

I hope you weren’t referring to me. I asked you a legitimate question about your masteries.
One thing that is abnormal is when you destroy a column and every single gem dropped is the same colour or a skull apart from the last gem. That’s highly unlikely but it happens very often, but once pc gets unity etc we’ll hear more about this.
I was only giving you a view from both sides and have been grumbling about this for a while now but haven’t ever been rude or troublesome. I just think something is amiss and we’re all entitled to our opinion.

2 Likes

When fighting a famine team, I try to put in a gem halving mastery troop of my own (summoner for example), to offset at least that part of the fight…

You could also use that troop that stuns him and pulls him to the first spot, so you can kill him fast (and get rid of the nasty traits). Edit: Khopeshi.

1 Like

This disappoints me. I play both formats, and the PC version I prefer. The PC version is arguably a tiny bit easier, being more predictable; I expect @sirrian would agree that keeping the game a little easier suits retention better.

Set out my views here a while back:

EDIT: frequently in this thread, as in all these weekly threads, there is confusion between two separate issues: the RNG / drops, and the AI’s decision-making.

5 Likes

The current console Al is absolutely the main reason given when people say they are leaving the game.

Lots of people have been wanting sliders on PC/Mobile, as it allows a more customisable defense team. This is one of the things that we are excited to bring to PC/Mobile!

We’ve been saying for quite a while that when we move to Unity everyone will be getting the console AI. I’ve also said above that our team will be looking at cascades further, which is RNG/drops related.

4 Likes

I don’t doubt that the Console AI differs from the PC/Mobile AI. That is self-evident. I also could understand if the Console AI were prone to some lapse in its RNG wherein it in some circumstances creates streaks that the PC/Mobile RNG does not.

What I take issue with is the idea that the situation is somehow biased toward the AI (which is what I hear when people say the AI “cheats”). The dev team may or may not know the implementation of the RNG they’re using – it likely comes from a library they’re depending on, rather than being their own implementation – but what I refuse to believe is that they’re somehow using that RNG differently between when the AI fills the board vs. when we do. They’ve stated over and over that they do not do this.

Thus, if there is an issue with the RNG such that it generates streaks more often than it “should” (keeping in mind that streaks occur more often than you might expect in a random set, particularly one where the value range is 7), the player would benefit from them as much as the AI does.

Framing this as “the AI cheats” is alarmist, attention-getting, and smells of sour grapes.

8 Likes

what if the pc actually have “gentler” gem drops and perhaps it would be more fun if you moved “that part” to the console, not the other way around?

providing if by some miracle the drops are different in pc and the console,
but the separate tests could show that?

1 Like

Sorry to sound like a broken record. Are you going to be doing anything about the Famine problem when we get the sliders? I haven’t complained about Famine much right now because I can bait out skulls but even doing that he still gets up really quickly and with the sliders and banner set to green/yellow and the ai only taking Famine mana he will probably be up and ready to cast before I have a chance to do anything to stop him. I know you said Famine will be getting a nerf when mana shield stops drain will that be coming with the sliders?

This will be my only post on Famine in this thread.

That was my experience as well, even well before the console version got sliders. The console version always felt a little more harsh than the pc version.

I could never put my finger on it so to speak, as to why it did, but the feeling was there.

2 Likes

And… the net result still being an AI that gets more crazy cascades more often… which is not fun, or enjoyable, and is the biggest complaint on the platform.

The AI doesn’t get better cascades than the player in every instance, it doesn’t cheat like that, if it did the game would be unplayable and abandoned within a week.

You’re not looking at it from a practical sense. It doesn’t matter if the player gets equally monstrous cascades, sit on the other end of these loops and tell me youre having fun and I will ring the doctor.

1 Like

I don’t really know where you find this “Lots of people”…

From what I read on this forum, sliders seems meh:

• it seems to be buggy if you put them on the full-left/right
  • already painful to find a good defense team. So if we have also to find the good sliders positions…
  • AI is not that stupid on PC/Mobile aside the skull bait. If it’s that the issue, you can just replace all these sliders with a tickbox “Always take skulls”.
  • final results seems to be a less predictable AI. Yes but if I understand well, it can do a stupid move like taking a color that neither fill your troops and the enemy’s ones…

And thanks for looking at cascades (please try to remove a possible biais due to the troops) :slight_smile: .

1 Like

You can add sliders for the 6 gem colors, and remove the one for skulls.
So check for 4er/5ers (including the console code that misses moves).
If none: check for skull moves.
If none: use sliders to determine preferred gem color.

Let’s keep the two debates separate.

AI decision-making. Sure, let’s have defence sliders. Let’s not have the dopey randomness that has always been in the console AI’s choices.

RNG streaks. Please let’s not have the greater streaks and cascades the consoles have. This isn’t about cheating or other whinges. This is about the potential rage and difficulty spike: players losing more games when they just want to farm for their collections won’t help retention.

2 Likes