A New Mythic - Infernus

Honestly, his second trait is more universally usable than his third trait. “Burn all” is is fairly lackluster by itself, we’ve all seen that before, several troops have a way to get every enemy troop burning, including Jarl and Sheggra who can do it just by matching enough gems. What is important is this is the first troop that is capable of both primary board mod with a spell (alibeit random, which can bite you hard) and invoking a storm (albiet on a trait which makes it necessary to fulfill a condition) at the same time. I’ve never been too keen on storms because you always give the enemy the first crack at the board when you use them, but Infernus breaks the mold in this regard. The storm makes it so that he can get an extra turn and full mana off red cascades after exploding, oftentimes being able to cast 2 or 3 times in a row and finish off the enemy team if he gets a kill with his spell, since the storm is summoned before the gems drop. This puts him solidly a cut above the Stryx and Guild Wars crowd as a storm user. Hes still random in both his targeting and his ability to secure extra turns and it is that which holds him back the most if you are trying to build around some kind of always-works strategy, but overall he is pretty solid, even if he does have druid-like damage (that is, if druid is ever made to deal splash damage like similar troops).

This was my first thought for him, that and rock troll/dark troll/infernus/elemaugrim. I would generally use Infernus first because I want that cascade kill to trigger the firestorm and keep my mana engine going, since Elemaugrim still misses the extra turn quite a bit.

This is similar to the second team I came up with for him… Gorgotha/Mercy/Sekhma/Infernus, Dragon Banner. It makes it easy to trigger the kill for the initial storm while keeping your turn with Sekhma and spamming out explosions while occasionally weaving in your other casts when you have alignment (and even if you don’t sometimes).

Still experimenting, but I really believe the best way to use this troop is to consider the Firestorm on kill first, then the burn. Or maybe even ignore the burn. Of course, since Fiery Death is in “common” trait spot, I wonder where that leaves him if (when?) other troops start getting it. Though maybe their spells wont also board mod, so Infernus could still be a “complete package” for this combination of effects.

4 Likes

I agree Infernus second trait looks unique and useful, i don’t rate it very high though because it is only useful after you get a kill, when you are most probably already far ahead and the storm is for a more comfortable finish at best.

Just to be clear though, that is not a complaint, for a second trait it is pretty damn great, i just wouldn’t build teams around it.

True, but if that’s his role, then either A) all of that spell damage should be concentrated so that it has a drastically higher chance of triggering the storm condition, or B) the storm should be baked into the spell.

I’m also really, really, really not a fan of his third trait. Burns are so weak that its only practical purpose is to buff Elemaugrim - and a custom Mythic trait which does effectively nothing except buff a different Mythic unit is laaaaaaaaame.

6 Likes

12 guaranteed extra damage every time you give the turn to the opponent is not that bad…

Especially when exploding, looping not so much.

Couple of teams which I’ll run on red day are:

Anointed One
Ragnagord
Infernus
Ketras the Bull

Or subbing Sekhma for Ketras and move to third position.

Agree with what has been posted about the storm effect, hence I tried to build around explosions, BOOM! :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Krystenax does ~23 damage to all enemies on average, plus removes gems (giving me matches and board control) plus summons a drakon.

Infernus does 23 damage to 2 random enemies +11 each to neighbours (if you’re lucky) and explodes 5 gems - as likely to give me enemies matches as me.

I know which one I’ll be using in battle.

3 Likes

My luck ran out… 350 vip keys, nada

I prefer the condition being on the trait, because it allows me to use other high damage board modders (like Sekhma) to trigger the initial cascade. Plus, the neverending rain of skulls that seems to come with any sort of mass clearing are a sizeable portion of your damage. Hes built around randomness - thats the biggest problem everyone is going to have with him overall, and thats the least likely thing that is going to change. I think that overall hes an enjoyable type of random with mostly favorable outcomes. I like that I can at least point the cannon in a general direction by proxy through using other troops. I also like that you need support to make him effective, so he is less likely to have that “one fill, solo streak kill the entire enemy team with cascades by himself” sort of thing from happening (which he can do).

But I agree on the burn all, extremely lackluster even if it does make for some fun (alibiet very specific) synergy, since he is the only purple troop capable of burning all enemies at the same time. The burn is a tiny bit of nice backup damage when you drop the turn, as has been noted, but I think the “better” of the two traits is the Firestorm one given the rest of his design, since an extra turn and a bunch of mana sometimes solidly beats the 3 damage all for dropping the turn if you aren’t using one of the (very limited) synergies for burn.

1 Like

Let’s be clear though, his unique trait is pretty damn mythic, it is the mythic version of a legendary unique trait outclassing the legendary version by a mile, much more so than some other comparable mythic traits that are altered versions of unique legendary traits and while not directly comparable to many other mythic unique traits it does outperform some of them strictly stat value wise.
It is burn itself that is considered a bit on the weak side right now but as soon as burn gets a buff or increased synergies this trait will be banging.

3 Likes

Just to be super clear to everyone: I had the Euryali bug, did not reinstall, and I was able to drop Infernus in chests. It is strictly a visual bug. Also, only took 100 gem keys! :sunglasses:

P.S. Yes, I still don’t have Dark Monolith or Tesla :sob:

3 Likes

I agree Gouki, and I hope that once burn gets looked at again Infernus will be more useful. I also hope there will be some future troops with better synergy.

I also agree with Mithran that the fire storm is actually the more interesting of the traits.

I’m actually really enjoying using him in the team I posted earlier. I used to use the Infernal King in that team but I prefer Infernus - his damage plus explode is useful for helping clear out gems to set up sekhma, and I really like combining storms with explosions.

1 Like

I’m giving him a go with Pyromania.

Lava Elemental, Sheggra, Infernus, Captain Skullbeard (Can’t really decide what fits here. Krystenax?)

Double skull damage to burning enemies works out pretty nice. Firestorm works well with the multiple exploders.

It’s a fun little team. I’d love to be working in Dimextria, but it’s R/Y.

Edit: After tinkering a bit, Dimextria earns the first spot, because it has 40 Attack! (With kingdom bonuses. 7 more than the next highest dragon!)

Dimextria (Pyromania and highest attack of any dragons.)
Sheggra (Pyromania, Huge, plus you know you want to use Sheggra)
Infernus (Burns, and Firestorm, which is what its built around.)
Krystenax (+1 more attack for dragon bonus, still unsure.)

Nothing like a first turn 4 or 5 skull match for 82 damage! Could use a better engine than Krystenax. And as @Whiskeyjack points out Sheggra is a less flexible than Keeper of Souls, but I want to leave Infernus as unblocked as I can. Obviously a fun team, because so many immune to burning troops, like Gorgothra, hurt it.

2 Likes

No disagreement from me here. I compared him to TDS because of similar colours but you’re right - Krystenax does more damage that any other troop.

However, now that I’ve used him a bit I think he does have a use. Towards the end of the fight, his damage is much more reliable. It’s especially good for finishing off on-death summons like reincarnations, daemonic pact, drakes etc. I also like the fire storm element to his traits; it is really noticeable at giving you more chances to get an extra turn.

He’s not a game changer and I currently wouldn’t recommend anyone buy his third trait unless they have more arcane stones than they’ll ever need. But he’s better than stonehammer!

Hellcat maybe? Keeper of souls for devastating skull damage (and lose Sheggra so KoS isn’t brown blocked)? Skullbeard can be good though, if you’re out of reds it’s good to be able to reset the board.

I think Kryst is the best pairing with Lava Elemental / Sheggra / Infernus. Removal isn’t as strong as Explosion but it still works with Firestorm and Kryst is way stronger than Skullbeard. Kryst also works well second with the Stoneskin to protect the Sheggra/Infernus combo. Also nice to have the summoner.

Been having fun with all the fire storms tonight.
Gorgotha
Famine
Infernus
Apothecary
Kracken banner

1 Like

Has anyone gotten Infernus on mobile yet? The only reason I ask, is he does not show up at all when I search him (including “Search All”) and I don’t want to waste my keys if there is some glitch going on. However, there is some weird Marilith look-alike Mythic called “Euryali” that shows up, so that’s something…

Seriously?! Read the thread. You only have to scroll up a few posts above yours…

4 Likes

Should have looked at this before I posted…haha thanks!!

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t read all 99 posts, I started at the top and didn’t see anything specifically about mobile so I asked…no need to be a d-bag about it. I found the post, and apologized. Take a chill pill dude.