A 4 hour video of a 400+ Treasure Hunt performance

ahh, didn’t realize it was someone else’s Krudler. I could never spend this much time doing one, much less watching someone else do it. Crazy stuff.

1 Like

Aside from the traitstones, I think they would have gotten more rewards from just collecting the tribute for the four times they would have missed while doing this.

7 Likes

Sad but true.

1 Like

I think my high scores in the 260-280 range only took me 30-40 minutes, which seems much more efficient by comparison…

3 Likes

Um… comparing efficiency thus is like picking up two pieces of poo and trying to figure out which smells better… /justSaying :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :upside_down:

2 Likes

Better like worse? Does a poo smells better if it stinks more? Because its job is to be stinky, so the one that smells more is better at its job?
Ok im out.

6 Likes

What I’m saying is when comparing two awful things there is no “better” there is just degrees of awful lol

Maybe I need to go outside for a while and let sunlight touch my skin lol…

1 Like

Treasure hunt has its uses. I think it is the fastest way to farm glory IF you play for speed and aim to generate as many first-level chests (green chests are OK, too) as possible. Once you start getting to 3rd level chests (red chests), the glory per move really starts to drop off. I find the sweet spot is usually around 30-40 moves and will usually average about 25-30 glory per run (which is around 0.75 glory per move, or 5-8 glory per minute). With average or better luck on reward distributions, that’s way more glory than I can earn in PVP. Sometimes the rewards don’t favour glory, but on average, it works pretty well.

I don’t actually do this very often - usually just when I get a “Do 5 treasure maps” daily task, which itself gives 40 glory as a reward.

2 Likes

Its also way more effective for lower-leveled players who don’t rake in 3-4k gold per battle (or can’t do 2 minute battles), don’t have 8-10 kingdom tributes, and so on.

3 Likes

“My vacuum cleaner sucks!”

“This fan blows!”

1 Like

That’s what PokemonGo is for, I hear…

I vaguely agree… see this old post: Do you use Tyri to farm Treasure Maps? - #97 by Jainus
for my stance on why being relatively rubbish at TH is the best for farming Glory… except now I really don’t need Glory much either…

And don’t come back… :poop: (kidding… nearly…)

This is a great illustration as to why the treasure hunt reward scheme as a whole is broken. Matching anything above a brown/green chest actually lowers the amount of total rewards on the board in exchange for a chance at they being a “better” resource and more space to potentially recoup that loss eventually. Each match makes subsequent matches more difficult and time consuming, yet you still get just a static traitstone per 15. You only get a one time seals reward for 60+ moves, which is already far past optimal. Extend a run to its extreme, and, well… this.

Having done the whole early game thing again on a second account, no, treasure hunt really isn’t even all that good early game. The very first week you join all but the very slowest of guilds should net you enough glory to buy one of every troop pack, and continue in perpetuity as long as you supplement with some PvP every week. Gold speed starts to stagnate very early on, with early PvP in Dwarven Armor in a half-decent level 5 team can net you roughly the same amounts. Getting that small boost to souls to level your first team, at a point when even the normal five star challenges are pretty rough, is probably the best use of maps at this point. Plus, this early on and you actually have to obtain the maps - an act that consumes additional time and further lowers the reward ratio when you’d actually want to use them, but extremely trivial when you don’t.

And yes, you can farm glory by doing treasure hunt speed runs, but to what end? Super early gamers will always be in range of getting a single pack, but out of range of buying enough to trait a legendary. Smart mid-gamers should be able to easily store enough glory to trait an important troop when the time comes around. Endgamers… well, I’m pretty sure we can get glory almost as fast just using PvP anyways. If you are regularly doing treasure hunt to supplement your glory income and then using that glory to buy extra troop packs just for the arcane, remember, if you can get, say, 300 glory in an hour from treasure hunt (a high estimate already) and are using it to buy a specific color arcane, you can more than likely cut out the middleman completely and just farm explore for an hour where you could clear as slowly as one battle every 3 minutes and still come out ahead, without the months long wait associated with buying arcanes from glory packs. Getting enough for one or two extra glory packs super early on so you can trait your first rares or ultra-rares by supplementing with Treasure Hunt before you can even unlock their kingdoms can be beneficial if the colors you need are actually in the packs, but otherwise, wont be particularly beneficial even in the short term either.

If you actually enjoy treasure hunt, that is another matter, but really, you can either (a) pretty much always do better reward wise for time spent (gold, souls, possibly even glory at endgame) or (b) the rewards gained are not impactful enough in the quantities given per unit time invested to make any significant difference long term (gems, glory keys, gem keys).

6 Likes

I just completed a 325 moves TH last night in about an hour (my best was 346 moves). I can safely say 4 hours is not the sort of normal amount of time. I can see it in the video that the player spent a lot of time thinking about each moves, because he is making a video. Normally this does not happen. I decide 80% of my moves within 5 seconds. You can call it instincts or whatever but when you play enough you start to recognize moves that either will give you 5 links the next turn or give you an instant lucky-drop 5 link instinctively (not even rehearsing it mentally). My normal game usually starts very fast, and only slows down when I surpass 150 moves. This way I won’t waste time needlessly.

Having said all these, I agree that rewards for TH is not commensurable with the time spent, particularly for end gamers. I play it for fun and to challenge my personal best.

3 Likes

I would watch the bleep out of a video you playing. I’m sure I could learn a ton by observing you.

1 Like

I will if I can push myself to get the required equipment, but I am too lazy…

But anyway here are some tips that might be helpful for some (most are very obvious):

1. Always take match5s, no matter what, and take it starting from top.
  2. Prioritize reducing the number of lower tiered gems (such as bronze and silver) near the bottom of board as much as possible. These will kill you in the long run.
  3. Likewise, too many higher tiered gems (chests) in the top half of the board is not a good thing. Do what you can to lower them!
  4. Don’t take match4s automatically, especially don’t take match4s that are surrounded by next tier colors, for instance silver gems enmeshed in a bunch of bronze or gold gems. Eliminate them too early may eliminate chances for match5.
  5. When taking match4s, aiming for either followup moves or at least ones that can increase local gem homogeneity (same color or next tier).
  6. Pay particular attention to bronze gems. I almost always take bronze match4s.
  7. When everything fails and you have to take a match3, take ones near the bottom and take the lower tiered gem.
  8. Recognize all direct match5 and drop-down match5 patterns by heart. This is a basic requirement.

These are just something that come to mind right now. But there is really no secret to it. Play it enough and everybody can get good at it.

6 Likes

#Enjoy this crappy video, which hopefully will incense you enough for you to make one for everybody :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that… I can see there are definitely uses and this week is one of them given that I need 90 Venoms ore something outrageous like that.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this one a little bit? I see Krudler had the same response in his video as I did when I read this? :confused:

1 Like

Yeah I did not make it clear. I wanted to say that I prioritize taking troublesome match3s near the bottom of the board over taking an obvious match4 at the top that gives me no followup match5s. Sometimes the said match3 can lead to a cascade match4 or even a match5.

This is related to the concept of board homogeneity, which means a group of gems consists of mostly two colors of adjacent tiers, such as silver and gold, or gold and sack etc. These are usually the hot spot for cascades.

Hey @Karma… ok I know I’m pushing my luck here and you certainly don’t owe me this, but I finally put my best foot forward and tried to do a legit run. Perhaps it would be easier to watch for a minute and point out a few blunders that I don’t even realize I’m doing? Even though I did heavy editing with over 90 video cuts/transitions, I would never expect you to watch the whole 20+ minutes!!!

A decent Treasure Hunt run - 108 Moves
(- YouTube)