3.0.5 Known Issues (PC/Mobile)

I’ve noticed an issue on the PC where only the first pixel or two of movement of a gem matters.

Normally this isn’t a problem but every now and again, as an example, I might have my cursor near the top right corner, and see a gem in the bottom middle I want to drag left.

As my cursor is at the top right corner, my initial movement is mostly down, and a little left.
As I pass the gem I want I click/hold the left mouse button on it and change direction to go almost straight left.

Unfortunately the first couple of pixels of movement as I’m changing direction are down (or more down than left), and this registers as a downward motion of the gem.

Normally this isn’t a problem but I’ve been in situations where this completes a set I didn’t intend to complete.

Some possible fixes for this:

• If the gem has a bounding box around it, wait until the cursor has left the box, and determine the direction of movement based on the side the cursor left, and not the direction of mouse movement (i.e. do nothing if I spin my mouse cursor in circles around on top of a gem; it’s only until the mouse leaves the gem that movement occurs)
  • As long as the cursor is being held down, don’t release the gem. You could show the intended movement to the user (and make the gem vibrate, like when the user clicks on a gem but doesn’t move their cursor).

My main concern with this bug is accessibility. Now that I know about it, I can be careful to always stop mouse motion before I click/move to make a gem movement. Users who lack fine motor skills may not be able to account for this, and may not be able to enjoy your game to the fullest.

Thanks!

–Kevin

3 Likes